1440p 144hz monitors

DxRalph

Hi everyone,

So i am looking to find the best 144hz 2k monitor. quite a simple question but i am always a bit confused about the different panel types such as TN and VA. Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you mean 1440p? Because 1920x1080 is 2k, but people often mix that up with 2560x1440.

I do. sorry about that but thanks for clearing it up! 

1 minute ago, DxRalph said:

I do. sorry about that but thanks for clearing it up! 

No worries, it's a very common mixup.  Manufacturers even sometimes call 1440p "2k" just for marketing, even though it's really 2.5k.

Anyway, it comes down to what you're willing to spend and what features you want. An adaptive sync monitor would probably be best, as even the highest end hardware will have trouble hitting 144fps steadily in everything unless you really turn down the settings pretty low. I'm very fond of my Dell S2716DGR monitor, which has pretty decent colors for a TN panel. Do you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card?

Here's a video explaining the panel types:

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

No worries, it's a very common mixup.  Manufacturers even sometimes call 1440p "2k" just for marketing, even though it's really 2.5k.

Anyway, it comes down to what you're willing to spend and what features you want. An adaptive sync monitor would probably be best, as even the highest end hardware will have trouble hitting 144fps steadily in everything unless you really turn down the settings pretty low. I'm very fond of my Dell S2716DGR monitor, which has pretty decent colors for a TN panel. Do you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card?

Here's a video explaining the panel types:

I have Nvidia and plan to stick with them for a while as AMD doesnt provide anything thatll be able to match Nvidia. I'll have a look at the Dell monitor. Let me know if you have any other recommendations, price shouldnt be too much of an issue!

Just now, WikiForce said:

No, you are wrong. 2k is actually 1440p and 1920x1080 is most commonly called 1080p or full hd.

Please read that.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

I have Nvidia and plan to stick with them for a while as AMD doesnt provide anything thatll be able to match Nvidia. I'll have a look at the Dell monitor. Let me know if you have any other recommendations, price shouldnt be too much of an issue!

Then I suggest a G-Sync compatible monitor. I haven't really kept up with the monitor market since Nvidia released driver support with FreeSync monitors. I'm sure that there are more informed people than me who can offer some suggestions on newer models. I mostly focus on the CPU and GPU market.

Do you guys think g-sync makes a really big difference? I am also looking for a 1440p 144 htz monitor if I can get a decent deal on one but it seems like as soon as you add g-sync it is just a bunch of dollar signs more.

2 hours ago, DxRalph said:

Hi everyone,

So i am looking to find the best 144hz 2k monitor. quite a simple question but i am always a bit confused about the different panel types such as TN and VA. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Trystanrak said:

Do you guys think g-sync makes a really big difference? I am also looking for a 1440p 144 htz monitor if I can get a decent deal on one but it seems like as soon as you add g-sync it is just a bunch of dollar signs more.

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/mQInJLi7qiX8GQ

The above is a link to a list of monitors that have been thoroughly tested and reviewed by rtings.com. They have been ordered using a custom rating based on test results that ,imo, represent 'quality gaming' displays. Rather than looking for pure gaming displays ignoring quality...like a lot (but not all) of TN panel gaming panels are.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/mQInJLi7qiX8GQ

The above is a link to a list of monitors that have been thoroughly tested and reviewed by rtings.com. They have been ordered using a custom rating based on test results that ,imo, represent 'quality gaming' displays. Rather than looking for pure gaming displays ignoring quality...like a lot (but not all) of TN panel gaming panels are.

Hey Solar,

Thanks for that. I'm honestly struggling quite a bit to understand most of the things in that list. lemme link you a monitor and see if you think its any good! https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

2 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

Hey Solar,

Thanks for that. I'm honestly struggling quite a bit to understand most of the things in that list. lemme link you a monitor and see if you think its any good! https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

Indeed thats a solid monitor , one that i do like to recommend if one has the budget and specifically wants IPS.

If there's anything in particular u dont understand, ask away, though rtings.com, along with tftcentral.co.uk and pcmonitors.info all have articles and notes on their websites explaining everything. rtings.com for example has little '?' next to each test result and score to explain briefly what it means.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

17 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Indeed thats a solid monitor , one that i do like to recommend if one has the budget and specifically wants IPS.

If there's anything in particular u dont understand, ask away, though rtings.com, along with tftcentral.co.uk and pcmonitors.info all have articles and notes on their websites explaining everything. rtings.com for example has little '?' next to each test result and score to explain briefly what it means.

Would you say there is any monitor in particular that takes the crown?

@DxRalph

Not necessarily any ONE.

There are 3 Panel types and each one has its pro's and cons. SO i can give my top 3 (4 actually) as each is imo the top of their panel type.

TN:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xv273x

IPS:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

VA: (2 options)

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

or for HDR

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf

Now here is another upcoming option if ur willing to go up to a 48" display, i can get into that if ur interested.

17 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

@DxRalph

Not necessarily any ONE.

There are 3 Panel types and each one has its pro's and cons. SO i can give my top 3 (4 actually) as each is imo the top of their panel type.

TN:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xv273x

IPS:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

VA: (2 options)

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

or for HDR

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf

Now here is another upcoming option if ur willing to go up to a 48" display, i can get into that if ur interested.

so my main thing to do on my pc is play games and watch videos, what type of panel would you say is best for that?

17 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

so my main thing to do on my pc is play games and watch videos, what type of panel would you say is best for that?

I suppose it depends on the type of games u play and how competitive u are.

If ur into FPS games and want to really compete, the TN based XV273x with its 240hz and super fast pixel response along with great BFI implementation is the best choice. (have to point out its 1080p not 1440p)

If ur more into immersion gaming, rpgs and the like then an  VA or IPS would be good.

For video VA is the way to go for sure, thats why TV's use predominantly VA panels. They have the best blacks and contrast.

You didnt mention any professional or color work so IPS isnt a necessity, though some people still prefer the better viewing angles of IPS for general PC usage.

I think if ur not a competitive gamer u'd do well with a VA panel. Decide if u want a faster pixel response (less blur) for gaming or HDR for video (and some games). Then choose either the 32GK850G-B (faster pixel response) or the Dell S3220dgf (HDR).

16 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I suppose it depends on the type of games u play and how competitive u are.

If ur into FPS games and want to really compete, the TN based XV273x with its 240hz and super fast pixel response along with great BFI implementation is the best choice. (have to point out its 1080p not 1440p)

If ur more into immersion gaming, rpgs and the like then an  VA or IPS would be good.

For video VA is the way to go for sure, thats why TV's use predominantly VA panels. They have the best blacks and contrast.

You didnt mention any professional or color work so IPS isnt a necessity, though some people still prefer the better viewing angles of IPS for general PC usage.

I think if ur not a competitive gamer u'd do well with a VA panel. Decide if u want a faster pixel response (less blur) for gaming or HDR for video (and some games). Then choose either the 32GK850G-B (faster pixel response) or the Dell S3220dgf (HDR).

I noticed that on some of them, the response time is almost 5ms. This will cause some input lag am i right? You alos mentioned an upcoming monitor that I would love to see!

5 hours ago, DxRalph said:

I noticed that on some of them, the response time is almost 5ms. This will cause some input lag am i right? You alos mentioned an upcoming monitor that I would love to see!

Response time 'can' be included in an input latency figure, however the numbers you usually see thrown around do NOT include 100% pixel response.

For example certain transitions may have a 20ms 100% response time, however that doesn't mean it takes 20ms for u to see the image, Input lag measurement usual measure from something like a 'click' of the mouse the 'seeing' it on screen. Which wont need the 'entire' 100% pixel transition to occur. So input lag is predominantly the measure of 'processing speed' of the display + a 'portion' of the 'average' pixel response. The theoretical fastest speed input latency can be as measured from the center of the display, is half the 'frame time' of the display due to the way the image is displayed from top to bottom of the display.

(hope i explained that good enough, im not to great at explaining things in 'short' terms  )

The input lag of the monitor is mentioned on the reviews. The 32GK850G-B has input latency of 4.7ms and the Dell S3220dgf has 4.0ms. Anything below 10ms is fine for monitors.

(make sure u understand that 'response time, and 'input lag' , are 2 entirely different things.)

The pixel response times as tested by rtings and other good review sites will be drastically different from the specs from manufacturers. This is because the manufacturers specs are incredibly misleading and are in fact a cherry picked 'minimum' 80% measurements  (the fastest single transition measured out of maybe 30 transitions measured at the 80% mark) using the highest possible overdrive settings that nobody in their right mind would ever have set so high in most cases. This usually results in terrible overshoot (inverse ghosting).

This is why u could buy 10 different monitors all with the same advertised 'response time' and they will all show different amounts of 'blur'.

The upcoming 'display', as i mentioned, is 48" in size. technically its a TV.

The LG CX 48" OLED.

Its official release date has yet to be confirmed, but it is this year, and LG usually releases new OLED models around April.

The 48" was debuted at CES2020 and was heavily targeted towards gamers.

It features 4k 120hz via HDMI 2.1, has Variable refresh, and includes BFI (black frame insertion), which along with OLEDs near instant pixel response will reduce/remove persistence blur to the point of having near crystal clear and sharp moving images.

Input latency figures will not be listed however LG openly stated at CES2020 that the input latency is so low now its not worth mentioning it as completion at these low levels is pointless. So expect sub 7ms.

If u are ok with a 16:9 4k 48" display, and you vary your usage between different games, movies, and PC usage. This display will destroy pritty much all Monitors.

You will need to upgrade ur GPU to a 2020 model that has HDMI 2.1 to use the 120hz 4k, without it ull have to make do with 60hz. it will be able to do 1080p and 1440p at 120hz also.

Here is one of the CES2020 vids showcasing it. See the 4min 20sec  mark where the LG rep talks about it in relation to gaming, PC gaming.

Ill be upgrading my 42" Plasma screen that i currently use for my PC, to this display.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Trystanrak said:

It absolutely does. It prevents you from having to choose between massive stutters and screen tearing. Most people don't have a computer powerful enough to always hit 144fps at 1440p. Before variable refresh rate, you needed to use V-Sync. Enabling V-Sync prevents screen tearing like this:

1280px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

The downside is that if you have to consistently match your monitors refresh rate with new frames to prevent stuttering. Getting 143fps on a 144hz monitor will effectively drop you to 72fps to prevent tearing. While a steady 72fps isn't really bad, the sudden drop just from missing one frame feels very jarring.

What variable refresh rate does (G-Sync if you have Nvidia, FreeSync if you have AMD) is match your monitors refresh rate to the frame rate. This prevents tearing, and largely reduces stuttering. If your frame rate is 100fps (on a 144hz monitor), your refresh rate will be 100hz.

So i've looked more into the ASUS TUF monitor, and it seems to tick all the boxes. I have heard however that you may face some motion blur with IPS panels. Would you say this is still prevalent nowadays or would it be better due to the higher refresh rates and g sync? 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, DxRalph said:

So i've looked more into the ASUS TUF monitor, and it seems to tick all the boxes. I have heard however that you may face some motion blur with IPS panels. Would you say this is still prevalent nowadays or would it be better due to the higher refresh rates and g sync? 

There are 2 types of blur.

Persistence blur

and that which is caused by slow pixel response, often called 'ghosting'.

Persistence blur is caused by the sample and hold technique used by modern display technology including LCD and OLED. Each frame is held for the duration of the frame time then transitions to the next, ideally the transition is complete within the frame time period, though this often isnt the case with LCD displays and results in additional blur called ghosting.

Ghosting as mentioned above is when the pixel response time is to slow, not allowing the pixel to full reach its target color/brightness within the refresh window  'frame time'.

TN displays are fast when it comes to pixel response and many often have most if not all transition able to be completed within the refresh window/frame time. In these cases any blur seen on screen is caused by the persistence of the sample and hold tech. Basically ur eyes blur together the frames. To combat this BFI (black frame insertion) artificial adds a black frame between each normal frame. This added 'flicker' replicates of old school CRT monitors and removes ,/ greatly reduces, the persistence blur.

However...

BFI if not perfectly synchronized between pixel refresh and backlight flicker frequency will cause 'strobe crosstalk', the de-synchronization of the pixels and the backlight will cause a duplicate image to trail behind moving objects. some people may find this more off putting than dealing with persistence blur. However 'some' monitors which have BFI do manage to keep things synchronized ..not many.. but some, like the XV273X which to my knowledge has a very good BFI implementation.

All 3 panel types can have BFI i might add.

IPS can have the most color accurate and have the highest and widest color gamut and coverage of the panel types, but is slower than TN, on average most transition of IPS are as fast/slow as VA, but IPS can keep even the darker transitions speedy. They are however still slower than TN, and this is why 240hz IPS displays are only just starting to be produced. That said, the 'real' measured response times of IPS displays have yet to become fast enough to fully fall within the frame time of 144hz displays so technically even the best IPS displays will have some amount of added 'ghosting', even if they are still fast enough for most people.

VA are the slowest but produce the best blacks and contrast. They have issues with the dark transitions, the rest of the transitions are as fast as IPS however. only a few VA monitors have been tested to have a 'fast enough' pixel speed to be 'usable' for fast gaming but like IPS none are technically fast enough to be entirely within the 'frame time' of 144hz.

OLED does not have this issue. Pixel response efficiently bottoms out the measuring equipment at 0.2ms, a far cry from the 5.0ms of many LCDs. They can potentially handle refresh frequency far above even 240hz with no added 'ghosting' from pixel response speed. They do however still have to deal with persistence blur, however BFI implementations do NOT have to synchronize with the backlight because OLEDs have no backlight.

TLDR: yes IPS with have 'some' blur, but that particular model is as good as ur gunna see currently for a tested and reviewed IPS display.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been looking around a bit more, and would love some advice on these monitors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG27AQ-Monitor-Compatible-Adaptive-Sync/dp/B07VTPKCLS?th=1 (the one i showed earlier)

in comparison to the non ips version which is cheaper: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG27AQ-Monitor-Compatible-Adaptive-Sync/dp/B07VW9ZD6Y?th=1

which would be better?

and this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TTJR48G/ref=emc_b_5_t

my confusion lies in the fact that one is curved and way less expensive and i can not figure out which would be better for me

7 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

So I've been looking around a bit more, and would love some advice on these monitors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG27AQ-Monitor-Compatible-Adaptive-Sync/dp/B07VTPKCLS?th=1 (the one i showed earlier)

in comparison to the non ips version which is cheaper: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG27AQ-Monitor-Compatible-Adaptive-Sync/dp/B07VW9ZD6Y?th=1

which would be better?

and this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TTJR48G/ref=emc_b_5_t

my confusion lies in the fact that one is curved and way less expensive and i can not figure out which would be better for me

Cant commented on the VG27BQ but the VG32VQ has been reviewed.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg32vq

20 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Cant commented on the VG27BQ but the VG32VQ has been reviewed.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg32vq

I've had a look but I just can't seem to decide. Primary purpose is gaming, and I don't know which out of the 3 would be best. Unless you have any better suggestions? 

2 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

I've had a look but I just can't seem to decide. Primary purpose is gaming, and I don't know which out of the 3 would be best. Unless you have any better suggestions? 

Out of the 3 ? The VG27AQ.