Should i turn my old laptop into a server

Go to solution Solved by mtz_federico,

I would for small things, it doesn't have good specs but headless linux doesn't require many resources. I used to use an old Dell desktop with similar specs that I installed ubuntu server on and It could handle a mail server, web server, and a minecraft server, although I didn't leave it running 24/7

As a programmer i came across the same  question in the last couple of years: "time to test it deployed" and either i used AWS or other deploy web services depending on the project. I had the idea to turn one of my old laptops into a in-house server, so i`m tryna get some answers.

Specs:

Dell latitude D620

• CPU: Intel Core Duo T2500, 2.00Ghz
  • Memory: 2.0GB, DDR2-667
  • GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 
  • HD: Samsung 500GB 7200rpm SATA3

Is it worth it to turn it into a server? I`d like to hear so pros and cons. Has anyone tried this before? If so how does it run? yay or nay?

Maybe a minecraft server if you're lucky, but for any real work it's not powerful enough.

If you want a server, get a Ryzen 1600-based system. They're super cheap nowadays, if you're thrifty/wait for good deals you could probably get a headless one (no GPU) for under $200USD (Amazon used to sell the Ryzen 1600 "AF" SKU, which was basically a 2600, for $85) and performance is still incredible especially if you don't need the high IPC of 3000-series.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Maybe a minecraft server if you're lucky, but for any real work it's not powerful enough.

If you want a server, get a Ryzen 1600-based system. They're super cheap nowadays, if you're thrifty/wait for good deals you could probably get a headless one (no GPU) for under $200USD (Amazon used to sell the Ryzen 1600 "AF" SKU, which was basically a 2600, for $85) and performance is still incredible especially if you don't need the high IPC of 3000-series.

Well, it`s for small projects, less than 20 users. Since the bigger ones i shall deploy at work.

I would for small things, it doesn't have good specs but headless linux doesn't require many resources. I used to use an old Dell desktop with similar specs that I installed ubuntu server on and It could handle a mail server, web server, and a minecraft server, although I didn't leave it running 24/7