Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RickyMrBoss

S20 isn't that exciting

Posted · Original PosterOP

Let's start off by saying that I own a ROG phone 2 and is a tremendous phone. While it's for "gaming" I haven't or plan to game on my phone. The s20 has extremely similar and in some cases lower specs than the rog phone 2, still people reviewing the s20 are ignoring the fact that most of the specs the s20 has can be found in the rog phone 2. I know the cameras are way better but come on, a 4000mah battery(s20) vs a 6000 mAh battery(rogphone2) is not even a fair comparison. And the price is just insane. The top* model Rog phone 2 costs 900 dollars from Asus official website but (as I did) you can get the 8gb ram 128gb storage version for just 600 dollars and the price/performance is insane compared to the s20. (Btw did I forgot to mention that the top model Rog phone 2 has 1 terrabyte of storage?) And the ROG has Freaking RGB.

Leave your comments about the ROG phone vs s20, I want to hear all perspectives.

Why is this under Tech news? Also Samsung Tax is a thing. Spoiler alert, most of these phones cost between 200-400$ to make, and they upcharge a fuckton. Same thing with apple phones, they simply arent worth their price. It would be neat to have a way to build your own phone using parts and just voila, want a better camera? Just take out what you have and put in a new one. Stuff like that wouldnt sell well because people would prefer buying replacement parts rather then replacement phones. Most people dont want to take apart their tech, they just want it to work.

Just now, Shimejii said:

Why is this under Tech news? Also Samsung Tax is a thing. Spoiler alert, most of these phones cost between 200-400$ to make, and they upcharge a fuckton. Same thing with apple phones, they simply arent worth their price. It would be neat to have a way to build your own phone using parts and just voila, want a better camera? Just take out what you have and put in a new one. Stuff like that wouldnt sell well because people would prefer buying replacement parts rather then replacement phones. Most people dont want to take apart their tech, they just want it to work.

Wouldn't that be extremely hard to do due to the fact they're very tightly packed

yeet!

-Moved to Phones and Tablets-

Please make sure you post in the correct subforum

|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

IMO, you don't need to spend above 400-500USD for a decent phone these days. The sad part, most phone need a battery replacement 2-3 years into their cycle.

Magical Pineapples

They're two different phones. Not everyone wants a phone the size of the ROG Phone 2. The thing is huge. No wonder they can fit in a 6000mah battery. Which spec are lower than the ROG Phone? None that I can think of. Most people don't need a 6000mah battery, and the S20 has a newer, more efficient screen and SoC. Most people use their camera as the second most used feature to say text...so the fact that the ROG Phone has such a shitty camera is a huge deal for most people.

Very few people need 1TB of storage, and if they do, there's a microSD card slot. Providing basically limitless storage with a quick swap.

Not something the ROG Phone can give you.

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

It costs that much to make, sure but everyone always seems to forget R&D and Marketing, which are very real costs. BOM cost also doesn't factor in packaging, shipping, import duties and taxes, etc. Worth is relative. To some people, having the best of the best is worth it.

20 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

IMO, you don't need to spend above 400-500USD for a decent phone these days. The sad part, most phone need a battery replacement 2-3 years into their cycle.

Battery replacements are very cheap.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They're two different phones. Not everyone wants a phone the size of the ROG Phone 2. The thing is huge. No wonder they can fit in a 6000mah battery. Which spec are lower than the ROG Phone? None that I can think of. Most people don't need a 6000mah battery, and the S20 has a newer, more efficient screen and SoC. Most people use their camera as the second most used feature to say text...so the fact that the ROG Phone has such a shitty camera is a huge deal for most people.

Very few people need 1TB of storage, and if they do, there's a microSD card slot. Providing basically limitless storage with a quick swap.

It costs that much to make, sure but everyone always seems to forget R&D and Marketing, which are very real costs. BOM cost also doesn't factor in packaging, shipping, import duties and taxes, etc. Worth is relative. To some people, having the best of the best is worth it.

Eh R&D Cost to me is just the cost of doing business, not to be put on the customers. Marketing is another thing, again not something you should put into the cost of the phone, but they do. IMO These phones should cost 600-900$ for the max ram/Capacity, even though i doubt most people go through even 128 GB. 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Eh R&D Cost to me is just the cost of doing business, not to be put on the customers. Marketing is another thing, again not something you should put into the cost of the phone, but they do. IMO These phones should cost 600-900$ for the max ram/Capacity, even though i doubt most people go through even 128 GB. 

Oh I see, so you just expect them to make the money for that appear out of no where?

You clearly have absolutely no idea how business works.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I had a note 8 before the Rog phone 2 and the size difference is minimal, I didn't had to get use to the size to the Rog phone 2 because the size difference is almost insignificant.(between note 8 and Rog phone 2)

and what I mean that the specs are extremely similar:

12gb ram vs 12gb ram

855+ vs 865

120hz screen vs 120 hz

240hz touch vs 240hz touch

Basically both are 1080p

The Rog phone speakers are insanely good.

6000mah vs 4000mah

And the major difference is the camera.

The Rog camera is pretty good but is not the best, I compare it to the S7 camera but do you really need a higher quality camera?

Think about it only a very small percentage of people do need a high quality phone camera, and most of people who do need them uses an iPhone. most people just need a camera that is good, not excellent.

(I'm not comparing it to the s20+ or Ultra btw)

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh I see, so you just expect them to make the money for that appear out of no where?

You clearly have absolutely no idea how business works.

Oh i do, You cant spin any amount to say a 400$ phone is worth 1400$ to me lol. Dont give a fuc k what RND and advertising cost you want to throw.

To be fair, products that cost more to make will need price to be even higher. Because higher base price = less people can afford and less get bought = higher margins required to maintain profitability.

Although I would never spend more than $500 on a phone. It just a phone at the end of the day.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Oh i do, You cant spin any amount to say a 400$ phone is worth 1400$ to me lol. Dont give a fuc k what RND and advertising cost you want to throw.

I don't know if you've quite understood this making money thing. Obviously people are willing to pay this much for phones. You see loads of super expensive phones all over the place. You might not be the target market, and that's okay, but a lot of people are willing to pay these prices. A product is worth what people are willing to pay for it. For a rather distasteful example; look at what the pharmaceutical center in the US has done to drug pricing relative to other countries. 

That's an F in the profile pic

27 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I don't know if you've quite understood this making money thing. Obviously people are willing to pay this much for phones. You see loads of super expensive phones all over the place. You might not be the target market, and that's okay, but a lot of people are willing to pay these prices. A product is worth what people are willing to pay for it. For a rather distasteful example; look at what the pharmaceutical center in the US has done to drug pricing relative to other countries. 

Yes and we should be Actively going after the Pharma Companies for overcharging and fucking over people. There is a limit to what their goals to help and to be pure greed. Look at Diabetic Medications and similar items like Aids Pills getting price spiked because Oh we want more profit at significant margins. No Those people are horrible for anyone.

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

You do know that they don't cost that when you factor in R+D, support (especially on apples side), services like cloud storage etc etc. bumps up the cost significantly. Just for apple the say there's 1.4 billion apple devices active. Knock that back to 1 billion for dual users and math. Each of those people have a free 5GB of storage and most get the 79p 50GB but offer up to 2TB per user. So they theoretically are offering 2 billion terabytes (2 Exabyes) of server storage for the user base. That's a lot of data and server space they have to buy or rent out.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 hours ago, RickyMrBoss said:

Let's start off by saying that I own a ROG phone 2 and is a tremendous phone. While it's for "gaming" I haven't or plan to game on my phone. The s20 has extremely similar and in some cases lower specs than the rog phone 2, still people reviewing the s20 are ignoring the fact that most of the specs the s20 has can be found in the rog phone 2. I know the cameras are way better but come on, a 4000mah battery(s20) vs a 6000 mAh battery(rogphone2) is not even a fair comparison. And the price is just insane. The top* model Rog phone 2 costs 900 dollars from Asus official website but (as I did) you can get the 8gb ram 128gb storage version for just 600 dollars and the price/performance is insane compared to the s20. (Btw did I forgot to mention that the top model Rog phone 2 has 1 terrabyte of storage?) And the ROG has Freaking RGB.

Leave your comments about the ROG phone vs s20, I want to hear all perspectives.

Honestly think the S20 is boring af. They have a 10x zoom marketed as a "100x" zoom. Camera still won't be up with the pixel or iPhone, it can do 8K but who would use it? Raw 8K is 120GB per MINUTE. Nothing else has changed apart from 5G which most places can't get and isn't worth spending 1400 on. Only reason to get one would be if you're not on the S10 and want a Samsung because the s9 won't be getting updates soon. 120Hz is nice but not worth the money. 

3 hours ago, RickyMrBoss said:

I had a note 8 before the Rog phone 2 and the size difference is minimal, I didn't had to get use to the size to the Rog phone 2 because the size difference is almost insignificant.(between note 8 and Rog phone 2)

and what I mean that the specs are extremely similar:

12gb ram vs 12gb ram

855+ vs 865

120hz screen vs 120 hz

240hz touch vs 240hz touch

Basically both are 1080p

The Rog phone speakers are insanely good.

6000mah vs 4000mah

And the major difference is the camera.

The Rog camera is pretty good but is not the best, I compare it to the S7 camera but do you really need a higher quality camera?

Think about it only a very small percentage of people do need a high quality phone camera, and most of people who do need them uses an iPhone. most people just need a camera that is good, not excellent.

(I'm not comparing it to the s20+ or Ultra btw)

To you perhaps, but to most people it'd be pretty substantial. 171mm is absolutely massive for a phone, especially given the smaller display you get with it.

The S series phones aren't 1080p ;)

Battery life can't be compared by simple mah, though Asus has always done well with optimization so I'm sure we'll see decent numbers there.

Do I personally need a better camera? No. I don't take pictures. Selfies, if anything. But most people that buy phones use their cameras extensively, so it's an important feature. Saying that anyone who wants a good camera can use an iPhone is pretty narrow sighted. I've seen the photos the ROG Phone takes. If I took photos, I wouldn't find it acceptable.

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

See that just shows that you don't, thinking that the simple parts it's made of is what it cost to make.

What you care about doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that those things cost money, and that money has to come from somewhere.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

To be fair, products that cost more to make will need price to be even higher. Because higher base price = less people can afford and less get bought = higher margins required to maintain profitability.

Although I would never spend more than $500 on a phone. It just a phone at the end of the day.

Most people spend more time on their phone than anything else ;)

I'd pay $1,400 for a phone if it absolutely nailed everything I wanted. I have my fingers crossed for the Note.

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

The pharma sector is a little different ;) People don't want to pay that much, they have to, and most of the time the actual cost is sheltered from them through insurance, which bares most of the cost...which is why prices are so high, and why the system is so broken.

The rest though, absolutely right.

40 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Honestly think the S20 is boring af. They have a 10x zoom marketed as a "100x" zoom. Camera still won't be up with the pixel or iPhone, it can do 8K but who would use it? Raw 8K is 120GB per MINUTE. Nothing else has changed apart from 5G which most places can't get and isn't worth spending 1400 on. Only reason to get one would be if you're not on the S10 and want a Samsung because the s9 won't be getting updates soon. 120Hz is nice but not worth the money. 

Samsung's cameras are right up there with the Pixel and iPhone. In fact, most tests that MKBHD has done shows that people prefer Samsung photos.

Honestly, the Pixel falls short in so many areas that having a great camera doesn't really save the overall device.

I'd say the S20 is probably one of the most interesting phones they've had in a while. Instead of just some bumps to SoC, RAM and camera we actually got something useful; a high refresh screen, greatly improved touch layer, they made the curve less aggressive, and massively increased battery capacity.

The base phone is no where near $1,400, and of course the flagship device with all the candy is going to be expensive.

I'd pay the money for a higher refresh screen.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

To you perhaps, but to most people it'd be pretty substantial. 171mm is absolutely massive for a phone, especially given the smaller display you get with it.

The S series phones aren't 1080p ;)

Battery life can't be compared by simple mah, though Asus has always done well with optimization so I'm sure we'll see decent numbers there.

Do I personally need a better camera? No. I don't take pictures. Selfies, if anything. But most people that buy phones use their cameras extensively, so it's an important feature. Saying that anyone who wants a good camera can use an iPhone is pretty narrow sighted. I've seen the photos the ROG Phone takes. If I took photos, I wouldn't find it acceptable.

See that just shows that you don't, thinking that the simple parts it's made of is what it cost to make.

What you care about doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that those things cost money, and that money has to come from somewhere.

I'd pay $1,400 for a phone if it absolutely nailed everything I wanted. I have my fingers crossed for the Note.

The pharma sector is a little different ;) People don't want to pay that much, they have to, and most of the time the actual cost is sheltered from them through insurance, which bares most of the cost...which is why prices are so high, and why the system is so broken.

The rest though, absolutely right.

Samsung's cameras are right up there with the Pixel and iPhone. In fact, most tests that MKBHD has done shows that people prefer Samsung photos.

Honestly, the Pixel falls short in so many areas that having a great camera doesn't really save the overall device.

I'd say the S20 is probably one of the most interesting phones they've had in a while. Instead of just some bumps to SoC, RAM and camera we actually got something useful; a high refresh screen, greatly improved touch layer, they made the curve less aggressive, and massively increased battery capacity.

The base phone is no where near $1,400, and of course the flagship device with all the candy is going to be expensive.

I'd pay the money for a higher refresh screen.

Every comparison I’ve seen if the Samsung falling well behind google and Apple in cameras.

You’d pay £1400 for a 120Hz screen? If you’re upgrading maybe but if you’re on a S10, pixel 4 or an iPhone 11/XS Why bother? 

A new SoC that really doesn’t matter as the phone won’t be supported in 2 years. More RAM that you won’t use, a camera that isn’t a significant step up from the old one (no one actually uses the zoom more than a few times a year), battery cap will equate to the same battery life now there’s 5G and a 120Hz. Screen there. 

I’m sorry the phone that actually has all the new stuff is £200 less than 1400. 

I’d say the most interesting they’ve had was the fold but that’s a train wreck because it’s a terrible idea.

I've looked into some unbiased comparisons, the Pixel and Samsung take the best photos, although in my opinion the Pixel is a huge ripoff for the price to specs it has.

The $999 S20 has the 120Hz screen also, lots of people upgrade their phones every year, iphone users line up to wait for the shiny iphone that might have 1 extra camera or 1GB more ram than the previous iphone.

The Samsung S9 got Android 10, it launched with 8.0, and the S8 gets security updates while it's about a 3 year old phone.

And just because you don't see a phone with 8GB of ram, or a 10x zoom camera as worth it, it doesn't mean a lot of people don't have a use for extra ram or improved cameras.

The S20 having much less of a curved screen than my S9 is great because a screen protector might actually work, the 10X zoom would come in handy and it's just nice to have IMO. And if you've ever used a high refresh rate display, the increase in smoothness on screen is a massive upgrade. The S20 has pretty much everything I'd want in a phone, but no headphone jack and the pricing really ruins it for me. The cost of R&D or marketing shouldn't make a product cost twice as much.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah I'd spend $5000 for a phone if it nailed everything I wanted. And it can already be made. Unfortunately it happens to be the last thing a for-profit business would want consumers to have.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

10 hours ago, RickyMrBoss said:

4000mah battery(s20) vs a 6000 mAh battery(rogphone2)

Gotta admit people are making a big deal out of it, they’re acting like it’s never been done before. Even with the s20 ultra’s 5000 mAh battery.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

11 hours ago, RickyMrBoss said:

I agree. I have a Galaxy A6 as my daily driver and have used the S10 once for a few weeks and agree that the S20 is barely an upgrade from the S10

The only situation where I think a s20 would be useful is if you were getting an ultra and really getting it for some professional grade photography and upgrading from an s8 or so anyways lol

Samsung phones cost more because of research, advertising etc. Asus on the other hand is just putting stuff together. Asus is also a less known company in the phone industry, thus prices are lower. As for the cameras, the s7 ones are crap.

Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

On 2/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, Shimejii said:

What about the massive R&D costs these companies go through? I doubt they'd show of their innovations to the world for free. 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:43 PM, Lord Vile said:

You’d pay £1400 for a 120Hz screen? If you’re upgrading maybe but if you’re on a S10, pixel 4 or an iPhone 11/XS Why bother?

Clearly,..It's not his ONLY reason.
Plenty of users in THIS thread say they WILL PAY for features if its mostly encompassing their needs.
S20 isn't exciting for some, inc you,...and thats where this thread really ends.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz