rx 5700xt vs rtx 2060 super

m0oble

trying to figure out what would be better, accounting for overtime as well. on the pc im looking at its a one dollar difference between 2060s and 5700xt. keep in mind i play in 1080p and most likely will not use raytracing

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

what games are you going to play? 

here is a review of about both of the cards to help you choose

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

5700XT is about 10%+ faster than the 2060 Super and is generally cheaper.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I’m in the same boat, but I’m most likely going with the 2060 Super. The 5700 XT looks like a really powerful card but all the issues people are having really worries me. 

I have the same problem right now. Trying to figure out which card to buy. I've managed to narrow it down to 5700xt or 2070 super. Really the only concern right now is that I have an old G-Sync monitor(aoc g2460pg). Would my monitor work well with 5700xt?

Or should one just wait few more months for the new 3000 series or amd equivalent?

17 hours ago, Oswin said:

what games are you going to play? 

here is a review of about both of the cards to help you choose

really most of the games i play wouldnt be too hard on the card. gmod, minecraft, terraria, etc.

pc specs:

Spoiler

r5 3600
16gb ddr4 3200mhz

b450 tomahawk max
rx 6600xt

1tb ssd + 6tb hdd
meshify c
750w dragon or something psu idk

14 hours ago, 13thSpider said:

I’m in the same boat, but I’m most likely going with the 2060 Super. The 5700 XT looks like a really powerful card but all the issues people are having really worries me. 

I think the "issues" are really overstated.  I have used a Radeon GPU in my machines for the last 6 years or so and never had anything I would actually classify as an "Issue" occur.  Sure there have been some minor annoyances here or there but nothing game breaking.  Also most of the 5700 series issues have been causes by using overlays, setting custom fan curves, some minor feature like enhanced sync or using some other 3rd party software and most of these issues were easily avoided once identified and the majority have been fixed.  Lastly, most of the negative press that exists now around the 5700 series, is just residual background noise left over from the driver issues at launch.  Basically you heard there were issues from a friend, who read it from a forum user somewhere that got their information from yet another friend who heard it from their brother that had issues with their 5700 card which they bought the first day of launch or to put it more simply, the original source of the negative press can be traced back to the launch date rather than being based on the current state of things.

I honestly don't feel there is anything wrong with the current state of the 5700 series, at least nothing major but I do get that it is easier to feel "safer" with a 2060 Super.  It it just too bad you have to lose out on so much performance just to feel safer.   Hopefully AMD keeps up the pressure and makes Nvidia offer competitive prices for competitive performance rather than continue pricing a 20% premium onto their cards just because their Nvidia.

3 hours ago, m0oble said:

really most of the games i play wouldnt be too hard on the card. gmod, minecraft, terraria, etc.

If that's all you'll use it for, you can do an RX 580 and still get 144FPS easy...

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

I think the "issues" are really overstated.  I have used a Radeon GPU in my machines for the last 6 years or so and never had anything I would actually classify as an "Issue" occur.  Sure there have been some minor annoyances here or there but nothing game breaking.  Also most of the 5700 series issues have been causes by using overlays, setting custom fan curves, some minor feature like enhanced sync or using some other 3rd party software and most of these issues were easily avoided once identified and the majority have been fixed.  Lastly, most of the negative press that exists now around the 5700 series, is just residual background noise left over from the driver issues at launch.  Basically you heard there were issues from a friend, who read it from a forum user somewhere that got their information from yet another friend who heard it from their brother that had issues with their 5700 card which they bought the first day of launch or to put it more simply, the original source of the negative press can be traced back to the launch date rather than being based on the current state of things.

I honestly don't feel there is anything wrong with the current state of the 5700 series, at least nothing major but I do get that it is easier to feel "safer" with a 2060 Super.  It it just too bad you have to lose out on so much performance just to feel safer.   Hopefully AMD keeps up the pressure and makes Nvidia offer competitive prices for competitive performance rather than continue pricing a 20% premium onto their cards just because their Nvidia.

Have the cheapest 5700xt available

No issues with drivers, temperatures, compatibility

I wonder if it's people on AMD CPU/Motherboard systems who are primarily experiencing difficulty....

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I wonder if it's people on AMD CPU/Motherboard systems who are primarily experiencing difficulty....

I have the reference card, and apart from it having a few issues on some of the earlier drivers, (like 19.11.2) it's been an excellent card. (just turn off Enhanced Sync since some games don't like it, and set a better fan curve) Also, full AMD motherboard and CPU.

99.9% of the complaints are people that either try to tweak their systems in ways that destabilize it, or they have a bad card they're unwilling to RMA... (or are Nvidia shills) The drivers are good for the vast majority of users.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

12 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

I have the reference card, and apart from it having a few issues on some of the earlier drivers, (like 19.11.2) it's been an excellent card. (just turn off Enhanced Sync since some games don't like it, and set a better fan curve) Also, full AMD motherboard and CPU.

99.9% of the complaints are people that either try to tweak their systems in ways that destabilize it, or they have a bad card they're unwilling to RMA... (or are Nvidia shills) The drivers are good for the vast majority of users.

The AMD cards generally do need more user tweaking for best performance; my 5700xt ran at 100c hotspot and 90c temp at factory settings....but that was with the performance BIOS and basically stock P3 voltage of 1.25v and maximum fan of like 35% lol

A minor undervolt to P3 2099mhz/1125mv, and aggressive fan curve up to 70% fixed it.

Also my Vega card had similar requirements for maximum efficiency

22 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't think this is the problem.  I was following the whole drive issue almost daily from the release of the card and most issues seemed to be incompatibility with 3rd party software like MSI afterburner.  Most of the major issues seemed centered around setting up custom fan curves and using FPS overlays though screen flicker and black screen issues were a problem as well and those were the most damning of the issues that were occurring.. There were also some issues with enabling enhanced sync and I think one other setting in the Radeon software.  About 3 months or so in, most of the screen flicker and black screen issues that were what I classify as major, game breaking (literally) issues, went away and I haven't really heard of anyone having these issues recently.  As far as the rest, I believe most of those were resolved as well.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw someone post anywhere complaining about driver issues. 

1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

I don't think this is the problem.  I was following the whole drive issue almost daily from the release of the card and most issues seemed to be incompatibility with 3rd party software like MSI afterburner.  Most of the major issues seemed centered around setting up custom fan curves and using FPS overlays though screen flicker and black screen issues were a problem as well and those were the most damning of the issues that were occurring.. There were also some issues with enabling enhanced sync and I think one other setting in the Radeon software.  About 3 months or so in, most of the screen flicker and black screen issues that were what I classify as major, game breaking (literally) issues, went away and I haven't really heard of anyone having these issues recently.  As far as the rest, I believe most of those were resolved as well.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw someone post anywhere complaining about driver issues. 

Ive been using afterburner overlay (only for benchmarks) and also custom fan curves (via adrenaline) without issues