HELP! Something went BANG!

b1acktoxin

I was playing games on my PC while watching Youtube on a side monitor when something in my case went bang somewhat akin to a gunshot.

There was small puff of dust and my computer shut off. Weirdly enough it booted right back up perfectly fine.

I've stripped it down and don't see any bad capacitors on the motherboard or inside the PSU (through the grill) and don't smell any burning either.

I booted it up and everything seems OK, no weird noises, smells, all components show up in dxdiag.

For now, I've shut off the rig and unplugged everything, just in case.

Any ideas what happened?

What broke? Do I need new parts?

Any suggestions on future steps or fixes?

EDIT: PSU fan is not spinning, all else is fine.

EDIT2: PSU fan is not supposed to spin until under load according to corsairs website.

EDIT3: I did an Aida64 Stability test and ran Heaven for about 20 minutes each, no anomalies, voltages are stable and temps are nothing crazy. Can't seem to find any visual damage o the motherboard and other parts either. Additionally, I've confirmed the PSU fan spins up on boot.

I can't seem to figure out what that bang was. but judging from the test results, i'm assuming my system is safe to use?

Are there any other test I should run just to be sure?

Specs:

Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC

16(2x8)gb Corsair vengeance RGB PRO

MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard

Open it up and inspect everything for visual damage... a noise indicates something breaking... could be as simple as cable shifting and hitting a fan, to a capacitor exploding and everything in between.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

1 minute ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Open it up and inspect everything for visual damage... a noise indicates something breaking... could be as simple as cable shifting and hitting a fan, to a capacitor exploding and everything in between.

I already inspected it, everything looks fine, I didn't open up the PSU or graphics card as i simply don't have the expertise for that. I did peek through the cracks, holes and grills and didn't see anything popped or damaged.

1 minute ago, b1acktoxin said:

I already inspected it, everything looks fine, I didn't open up the PSU or graphics card as i simply don't have the expertise for that. I did peek through the cracks, holes and grills and didn't see anything popped or damaged.

What about fans and fan blades? Did the puff of dust come out of the front/side/top/rear... because a visible puff could indicate a sudden pressure change inside the case.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Just now, Anomnomnomaly said:

What about fans and fan blades? Did the puff of dust come out of the front/side/top/rear... because a visible puff could indicate a sudden pressure change inside the case.

The puff was located right under the graphics card between the fans and the PSU shroud, I didn't see the direction it came from but it was a small puff. I don't think it was a cable either as I keep all the cables tucked away from the fans.

3 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Im banking on a cap in the psu

And yet it still works normally?

Ive seen it in other electronics, cant say ive seen it in a cpu psu but based on the op description of events it points that way

its probably not a good idea to keep using the PC right?  Do we know if its specifically the PSU or is there still potentially other sus parts?

34 minutes ago, b1acktoxin said:

I was playing games on my PC while watching Youtube on a side monitor when something in my case went bang somewhat akin to a gunshot.

If this thing was as loud as a gunshot then it's probably something serious because even a psu that has gone bad has made that kind of noise.

2 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

If this thing was as loud as a gunshot then it's probably something serious because even a psu that has gone bad has made that kind of noise.

similar sound, definitely not as loud as an actual gun though.

4 minutes ago, b1acktoxin said:

similar sound, definitely not as loud as an actual gun though.

I would recommend to see if all fans are still spinning, if you want you can check the bios for this, but you can't check it through your bios for your psu so make sure that fan is also spinning.

3 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

I would recommend to see if all fans are still spinning, if you want you can check the bios for this, but you can't check it through your bios for your psu so make sure that fan is also spinning.

Good Call! PSU fan is not spinning, all other fans work.

3 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Im banking on a cap in the psu

Possibly, and the system will still run... until it needs to actually use that part of the electronics.... then it'll shut down again and possibly damage other things.

Had a capacitor leak on a motherboard... worked fine until it would randomly shut down when you started doing very specific kinds of tasks that pushed a certain part of the system harder.

3 hours ago, b1acktoxin said:

Good Call! PSU fan is not spinning, all other fans work.

so the corsair website claims that the fan for the rm650x wont spin up unless it needs to, which might explain why its not spinning on boot and idling.

Update: I did an Aida64 Stability test and ran Heaven for about 20 minutes each, no anomalies, voltages are stable and temps are nothing crazy. Can't seem to find any visual damage o the motherboard and other parts either. Additionally, I've confirmed the PSU fan spins up on boot.

I can't seem to figure out what that bang was. but judging from the test results, i'm assuming my system is safe to use?

Are there any other test I should run just to be sure?