Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkyPhantom

Desk Vibrations When Hard Drive is in Use?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Whenever my hard drive spins up, even slightly, to launch something or install something I feel vibrations on my desk. I feel vibrations when touching my mouse, desk, and PC case (Fractal Design Meshify C). I tried reinstalling it into a different slot in the drive cage, but that didn't work. Anybody know what I should do? 

Some rubber washer may help, and probably try not to tighten the screw too tight.

If that's the case, I would suggest you to backup whatever your data that is in the drive. Excessive vibration from the HDD could be a possible sign of HDD failing.

51 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Some rubber washer may help, and probably try not to tighten the screw too tight.

If that's the case, I would suggest you to backup whatever your data that is in the drive. Excessive vibration from the HDD could be a possible sign of HDD failing.

Well that's unfortunate, because I just bought it a month ago to replace a failing drive. The drive is a 2tb Seagate Barracuda by the way. I suppose if I have to replace it I should go WD, because both drives were Seagate. I don't really want it to come to that, because WD drives are almost twice as expensive at Microcenter. I try to loosen the screw first and see if that helps (it already has rubber washers).

Oh, then I guess the drive is running at 7200rpm? Well, 7200rpm drive do has slightly more vibration, but should not be noticeable (meaning you should not able to feel the vibration from your mouse).

If your drive is new, maybe you can return and get a new one. You may just be unlucky to get a not so good (but still works great) HDD from the counter.

A page that I use to know if there are unusual noises in an HDD is the following, these sounds recorded here are an indicator of an imminent failure:

I also do not believe that the HDD is damaged but if so, the best thing you can do is use Seatools for Windows to determine the current health state of that unit:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 2/12/2020 at 12:22 AM, seagate_surfer said:

A page that I use to know if there are unusual noises in an HDD is the following, these sounds recorded here are an indicator of an imminent failure:

I also do not believe that the HDD is damaged but if so, the best thing you can do is use Seatools for Windows to determine the current health state of that unit:

My hard drive isn't making any noises like those on the page. It passed all the tests except the long generic, which I'm doing right now. The video linked is my phone recording the hard drive with the case open while running this test (ignore the pots and pans in the background). There was one instance where one of the sounds was noticeably louder which I didn't catch. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GCJIXF59PkgonnOCeQtkK4PCP1NvuY9C/view?usp=drivesdk 

56 minutes ago, SkyPhantom said:

My hard drive isn't making any noises like those on the page. It passed all the tests except the long generic, which I'm doing right now. The video linked is my phone recording the hard drive with the case open while running this test (ignore the pots and pans in the background). There was one instance where one of the sounds was noticeably louder which I didn't catch. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GCJIXF59PkgonnOCeQtkK4PCP1NvuY9C/view?usp=drivesdk 

Well, those are good news so far, it means the drive is working ok. Did you do the test with Seatools? And also you can try a FW update and see if that helps: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

There is also one way to take advantage of one of the features included in the Seagate firmware, "Power Control technology". It is proprietary technology and complements PowerTrim technology, you can play with those setings using SeaChest at your own risk and check again if the noises have lower a little.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, seagate_surfer said:

I Once posted about this and how the noise could be reduced, here is that post in case you want to see it:

On 8/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, seagate_surfer said:

There is a "feature" to put it in a way that can be de-enabled to help reduce noise (PowerControl) but first a little background on why Seagate uses proprietary technology that can be disabled and why it is not disabled by default. In HDDs standards, there is one that's used as an automatic power-saving feature that is activated during very brief periods of command inactivity without impacting performance, it is called PowerTrim technology, but PowerChoice now called Power Control technology (a proprietary implementation of T10 Approved Standard No T10/09-054 and T13 Standard No T13/452-2008) complements PowerTrim technology by enabling even greater power reductions that cover idle periods greater than one second. The result? PowerChoice technology decreases drive power consumption by up to 54 percent in enterprise environments. For example, a 1U rack filled with twenty-four 500 GB Constellation drives that have entered PowerChoice technology C mode delivers 12 TB of storage, yet consumes only 43W or slightly more power than a single 40W light bulb! Delivering a combination of energy efficiency and user flexibility.

Now I introduce you SeaChest, to use this tool you have to be familiar with executing command lines or it will complicate everything a bit, the download link is here: https://www.seagate.com/support/software/seachest/ To learn more about PowerChoice (PowerControl) you can open the User Manual from the link above and go to the section:

• 
    ================================
    How PowerChoice Technology Works
    ================================

I will now paste some screenshots of the command lines that will help you disable PowerControl and thus getting a lower noise from the HDD that support this: 

How to disable EPC (Extended Power Conditions)
Note: PowerChoice has now been replaced with PowerControl

1. Download the latest SeaChest and install it in Windows.
  2. Next, confirm if EPC is supported and Enabled for the drive in question. First. get the drive's Handle which could be PD0, PD1, or PD2, etc. Copy and Paste or type in this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl --scan

• image.png.669cba58a6dfcd825a711c1999147545.png

3. Now copy and paste or type in this command then Enter.
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Replace (N) with the handle of the target disk

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC [Enabled]

• image.png.1e4d682d5917dc009c2d983644c0803b.png

4. To disable EPC on the drive Copy and paste or type this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N) --EPCfeature disable

• Wait for a message stating EPC was disabled successfully

• image.png.94c5c11dbd5462bde6c807a153138714.png

5. Now we need to confirm that EPC is disabled. Repeat step 3, Copy and paste or type in this command then Enter
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC

• [Enabled] should no longer be seen

• image.png.8e3c87878f227e4c354f37acfc2ba010.png

6.  Shut down the computer then reinstall the drive into the NAS if it was the case.

If you type in Google disable epc site:seagate.com you will notice that many models show up because many models support the EPC and thus giving one more option to help you reduce noise from your machine.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

28 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Well, those are good news so far, it means the drive is working ok. Did you do the test with Seatools? And also you can try a FW update and see if that helps: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

There is also one way to take advantage of one of the features included in the Seagate firmware, "Power Control technology". It is proprietary technology and complements PowerTrim technology, you can play with those setings using SeaChest at your own risk and check again if the noises have lower a little.

Yes I am using Seatools to run the tests. The problem isn't any noises its making it's the vibrations that I can sometimes feel at my desk when it's working. 

8 minutes ago, SkyPhantom said:

Yes I am using Seatools to run the tests. The problem isn't any noises its making it's the vibrations that I can sometimes feel at my desk when it's working. 

I will try to find out if there is anything that can be done in the HDD itself to help you and then I will come to post again.

15 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I will try to find out if there is anything that can be done in the HDD itself to help you and then I will come to post again.

Thank you! Also the drive passed the long generic test in Seatools. I also noticed that it says that the drive is on firmware revision 0001, so I guess I should probably update it when I get the chance right?

One factor to consider is "rotational vibration interference", also known as RVI. RVI occurs when the components cause vibrations, components such as other hard drives, cooling fans, power supply, etc... Such vibration can cause a head to move off track temporarily, when this happens, the unit has to wait for the disk to make another revolution additional and retry the operation. At the moment, only NAS units offer RV sensors that continuously detect vibration and use it as a feedback-loop to counteract the movement (bumping off track) of the head. Now this all happens in fractions of a millisecond and requires super-sophisticated algorithms, and after reviewing the documentation of this unit, I could confirm that this is not a feature of this specific HDD.

I am not saying that the solution is to use another NAS type HDD that includes this sensor, but that there are other factors to review that could be contributing to this phenomenon. Is there any other option to play with the settings of the other components with fans in your machine?

On 2/17/2020 at 9:59 PM, seagate_surfer said:

One factor to consider is "rotational vibration interference", also known as RVI. RVI occurs when the components cause vibrations, components such as other hard drives, cooling fans, power supply, etc... Such vibration can cause a head to move off track temporarily, when this happens, the unit has to wait for the disk to make another revolution additional and retry the operation. At the moment, only NAS units offer RV sensors that continuously detect vibration and use it as a feedback-loop to counteract the movement (bumping off track) of the head. Now this all happens in fractions of a millisecond and requires super-sophisticated algorithms, and after reviewing the documentation of this unit, I could confirm that this is not a feature of this specific HDD.

I am not saying that the solution is to use another NAS type HDD that includes this sensor, but that there are other factors to review that could be contributing to this phenomenon. Is there any other option to play with the settings of the other components with fans in your machine?

Yes, I am able to change the setting of all the fans in my machine (except the psu fan, which is usually not running when the vibrations happen anyway). However, I do not believe that they are causing the problem, because like I said it only happens when launching games or programs stored on the drive regardless of fan speed, power draw, temperature, etc. I also didn't have this problem with a different drive of the same model (which ultimately failed) which ran in the same exact system, except for the psu which has been replaced by a higher quality one since then. What I really want to know is if my drive is failing and I need to RMA and if the drive is not failing how can I get rid of or negate the vibrations it is causing. 

Well, one of the things you can try is to do that firmware update if you had one available. Then, let's do a second test but this time with SeaTools Bootable (Short generic and long generic): https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can also try the spin down test: How to use SeaTools Bootable | Seagate Support US

On 2/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, seagate_surfer said:

Well, one of the things you can try is to do that firmware update if you had one available. Then, let's do a second test but this time with SeaTools Bootable (Short generic and long generic): https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can also try the spin down test: How to use SeaTools Bootable | Seagate Support US

My drive passed the short and long generic tests (with it causing a vibration at one point during the short test). But I'm a bit reluctant to do the spin down test, because of the warning about possible data loss. The information on the drive isn't too important (just some games and programs) but they would be a pain to reinstall. What are my chances of losing data? If they are relatively low I guess I'll do the test if its helpful. 

I also just changed out the drive mount and screws and mounted it looser. Also I'd like to thank you for your help in troubleshooting so far.

On 2/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, SkyPhantom said:

My drive passed the short and long generic tests (with it causing a vibration at one point during the short test). But I'm a bit reluctant to do the spin down test, because of the warning about possible data loss. The information on the drive isn't too important (just some games and programs) but they would be a pain to reinstall. What are my chances of losing data? If they are relatively low I guess I'll do the test if its helpful. 

This test will only rotate the unit as a power management idle condition, then the vibration may decrease or stop, if the vibration continues, the HDD may not be exactly the source of the problem. The warning is mostly a reminder about data loss. There is a phenomenon that has affected us all I think, and that is when one is repairing something, but just then something else happens spoiling all our work (Murphy's law?). That does not mean that something bad will happen, but it is better to be prepared by thinking of the worst possible case scenario, and that you already have an established plan in case the worst happens so you don't regret later. I do not think you'll lose your data but a reminder is never too much...

The warning you should really be worried is this one:

• The Erase Overwrite Full feature erases the entire device by writing zero value to every sector. This operation will take a long time to complete, depending on the speed and capacity of the disk drive. WARNING!!! Any data on the drive will be lost. ZERO FILL DATA PATTERN WRITING IS A DATA DESTRUCTIVE OPERATION EQUIVALENT TO ERASING THE DATA OFF THE DRIVE.