Limited to 100mbps

gigabyte__1024

I have the strangest network issue. Each application is limited to 100mbps, like chrome, steam, epic games store, blizzard... ect... every app can only use 100mbps. if i transfer files over my network i get gigabit speeds and i pay for gigabit internet and my laptop and my other friend's desktop get the full gigabit internet but my computer limits itself? i have reinstalled windows and it fixed it for about 2 weeks then it went back to the same thing. i even have built a new computer in the time frame that this has been going on and reinstalled windows on it too and the same thing, after about 2 weeks i have the weird network issue. i thought glasswire might could show me something but it didn't help. idk if its an application im installing but i really don't wanna reinstall windows again. to test it. but it's getting really annoying. we have got an new modem and rougher and changed the ethernet cable multiple times and even tried using wifi, the same thing happens every time .  any ideas?

here is a screen shot of chrome speed test while im getting a MW Update.

yes.png

i had a Gigabyte ITX Z170 and it was doing it but i now have an ASUS TUFF Z390 MATX.

13 minutes ago, gigabyte__1024 said:

I have the strangest network issue. Each application is limited to 100mbps, like chrome, steam, epic games store, blizzard... ect... every app can only use 100mbps. if i transfer files over my network i get gigabit speeds and i pay for gigabit internet and my laptop and my other friend's desktop get the full gigabit internet but my computer limits itself? i have reinstalled windows and it fixed it for about 2 weeks then it went back to the same thing. i even have built a new computer in the time frame that this has been going on and reinstalled windows on it too and the same thing, after about 2 weeks i have the weird network issue. i thought glasswire might could show me something but it didn't help. idk if its an application im installing but i really don't wanna reinstall windows again. to test it. but it's getting really annoying. we have got an new modem and rougher and changed the ethernet cable multiple times and even tried using wifi, the same thing happens every time .  any ideas?

If you can transfer at GbE speeds across your network, but can't get faster than that beyond your network, it's either the connection between your router and modem, or it's the connection between the modem and your ISP. The router may have GbE ports, but the WAN port may only be Fast Ethernet (100Mbps). The RJ45 port on the modem may also be only Fast Ethernet.

What is the make/model of your router and modem?

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Just now, brandishwar said:

If you can transfer at GbE speeds across your network, but can't get faster than that beyond your network, it's either the connection between your router and modem, or it's the connection between the modem and your ISP. The router may have GbE ports, but the WAN port may only be Fast Ethernet (100Mbps). The RJ45 port may also be only Fast Ethernet.

What is the make/model of your router and modem?

I have the Mediacom Docsis 3.1 Modem and a TP Link AC1750 Router. My other computers can get the full 1Gbit to the internet, it is just my desktop that refuses to get more than 100mbps per application. 

3 minutes ago, gigabyte__1024 said:

I have the Mediacom Docsis 3.1 Modem and a TP Link AC1750 Router. My other computers can get the full 1Gbit to the internet, it is just my desktop that refuses to get more than 100mbps per application. 

Which internet drivers are you using. Im trying to see what we have similar to see if we can figure this out. and whos ur provider

Ok so here is a video of me running a speed test in IE, Chrome, and Edge while downloading MW Update. they all wont go above 100mbps

16 minutes ago, zconflictz7 said:

Which internet drivers are you using. Im trying to see what we have similar to see if we can figure this out. and whos ur provider

Mediacom is ISP

drivers.png

2 minutes ago, gigabyte__1024 said:

Mediacom is ISP

drivers.png

We have the exact same internet drivers. My guess is that there is some setting or issue with the intel driver

sooooooo this is interesting, my PC was already set to disable, if i enable (or set to normal) the Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level, it fixes the issue for chrome and media creation tool download (it used to not go over 20Mbps for some reason) but my Modern Warfare download from Blizzard is still limited, i don't have download limit set in blizzard. and if I re disable it the issue come back for all applications. 

UPDATE: so MW is getting 150 Mbps now, and other apps are working with the Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level set to normal. If I disable it like the article says then it breaks again. I guess I'll leave it enabled and see how it goes. :)

• 2 years later...

helped a friend with similar issue. verified drivers, cord, modem ports...
Turned out the auto negotiation for some reason was getting set to 100Mbps.

On the ethernet adapter right click -> properties -> configure -> advanced -> speed / duplex ---- changed from Auto to 1.0Gbps (that was the router port speed so didn't need 2.5)