Now everyone is playing with cameras - Samsung galaxy S20 revealed.

williamcll

I have the S10+ which is overkill for my needs and should last me for few more years. Honestly, I probably wont buy another flagship phone again, it really isn't worth it and pretty much a waste of money.

Every phone generation keeps getting further and further away from what I want in a phone and it seems to be a common sentiment. I notice that more and more people are keeping their phones longer not only because there aren't any enticing features, but to avoid these dumb design decisions. I barely care that my phone has a camera, I sure as heck dont care about a selfie camera or having multiple cameras.

7 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Every phone generation keeps getting further and further away from what I want in a phone and it seems to be a common sentiment. I notice that more and more people are keeping their phones longer not only because there aren't any enticing features, but to avoid these dumb design decisions. I barely care that my phone has a camera, I sure as heck dont care about a selfie camera or having multiple cameras.

I don't think that's a common sentiment.

I think a lot of people care greatly over the camera quality of their phone. I think you're in the extreme minority that don't care.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think that's a common sentiment.

I think a lot of people care greatly over the camera quality of their phone. I think you're in the extreme minority that don't care.

It's less about the quality of the camera and more about the fact that they are putting so many cameras in phones now that it interferes with functionality and durability. It has been the first thing to break on my last few phones, and they are always in a case.

And any hole, notch, or other intrusion on the screen is an absolute hard pass from me.

This will likely be my last flagship phone.

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

It's less about the quality of the camera and more about the fact that they are putting so many cameras in phones now that it interferes with functionality and durability. It has been the first thing to break on my last few phones, and they are always in a case.

And any hole, notch, or other intrusion on the screen is an absolute hard pass from me.

This will likely be my last flagship phone.

What? The cameras on your last few phones have broken? I've never had a camera on my phone break.

How does adding more cameras interfere with functionality?

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What? The cameras on your last few phones have broken? I've never had a camera on my phone break.

How does adding more cameras interfere with functionality?

Simple, putting one in the middle of the screen interferes with the function of the screen. Putting a big camera module protruding from the back interferes with basic functionality such as putting it in a pocket.

As for breaking cameras, it is a relatively common failure. With cameras having large glass lenses and sticking out from the phone they are often the first point of contact during a drop and if you have to do any physical work with a phone in your pocket they are incredibly easy to break with or without a case.

Samsung S20

Really, gosh I remember clearly when the S4 came out and I purchased it and within a year I cracked the screen.

I feel so old, is time flying by that quickly.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:12 AM, markr54632 said:

Simple, putting one in the middle of the screen interferes with the function of the screen.

Yeah, but it interferes less than having the screen be smaller with a bezel. Don't think of it as "losing" screen where the camera is. Think of it as gaining screen where the camera isn't.

Putting a big camera module protruding from the back interferes with basic functionality such as putting it in a pocket.

How skinny jeans do you have? I have never had a problem with the camera module making it so that it is difficult to put it in my pocket. And having the camera be thicker so that there is no camera bump would interfere with it more.

As for breaking cameras, it is a relatively common failure.

Source please.

With cameras having large glass lenses and sticking out from the phone they are often the first point of contact during a drop

That's bullshit. I am beginning to question if you live in the same universe as I do. The only time the camera bump is the first point of contact when dropped is if you drop it completely flat, with the back facing the ground. That almost never happens. With most drops the side or corner are the first point of contact.

and if you have to do any physical work with a phone in your pocket they are incredibly easy to break with or without a case.

I have done physical work with a phone in my pocket, and not once has the camera been the one who gets damaged.

I think you're dramatically overestimating how big the camera bump is. This is what it looks like from the side. No way in hell does the camera bump somehow make it a large issue where it is any more in danger of breaking than the rest of the phone.

Capture.PNG.850aeb78b6ed6339121255af2d3c6711.PNG

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, but it interferes less than having the screen be smaller with a bezel. Don't think of it as "losing" screen where the camera is. Think of it as gaining screen where the camera isn't.

How skinny jeans do you have? I have never had a problem with the camera module making it so that it is difficult to put it in my pocket. And having the camera be thicker so that there is no camera bump would interfere with it more.

Source please.

That's bullshit. I am beginning to question if you live in the same universe as I do. The only time the camera bump is the first point of contact when dropped is if you drop it completely flat, with the back facing the ground. That almost never happens. With most drops the side or corner are the first point of contact.

I have done physical work with a phone in my pocket, and not once has the camera been the one who gets damaged.

I think you're dramatically overestimating how big the camera bump is. This is what it looks like from the side. No way in hell does the camera bump somehow make it a large issue where it is any more in danger of breaking than the rest of the phone.

Capture.PNG.850aeb78b6ed6339121255af2d3c6711.PNG

I really have nothing to prove here. I have experienced far too many failures with the last few flagship phones I have purchased. In order for a phone to make financial sense to me it needs to last 2 years with no failures. The last phone to manage that for me was the iphone 4. I'm done, will be buying the cheapest phone available when this s9 craps out again.

It seems like you like these "features" which is fine, buy the new phone support the company and enjoy.

6 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I really have nothing to prove here. I have experienced far too many failures with the last few flagship phones I have purchased. In order for a phone to make financial sense to me it needs to last 2 years with no failures. The last phone to manage that for me was the iphone 4. I'm done, will be buying the cheapest phone available when this s9 craps out again.

It seems like you like these "features" which is fine, buy the new phone support the company and enjoy.

All I am saying is that I don't think it's a problem with the phones. I think you're reckless with your phones. And I certainly don't think removing the camera bump would suddenly make your phones last longer, because I don't think the camera bump is the reason your your phones break. 

And to top it all off, I don't think the issues you have are widespread as you claim they are. I think pretty much every single statement you have made is wrong, such as the camera bump being the most common first point of contact when dropped.

If you haven't had a phone survive survive 2 years since the iPhone 4 then I think you should consider adjusting how you take care of them. Or if you believe that your phone is a tool that should service you and not you serving it, get some super durable phone like a CAT.