Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnetar_Byte

When will we Start sending probes barring life to other worlds?

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

NASA is holding them up to higher standards over Boeing - but they're not exactly fighting them.

Well hold on a second - do you know why the boosters and external tank were problematic? It's because of the foam that kept falling off, and striking the body of the orbiter (usually damaging the heat shielding).

That's literally not a problem with SLS, because foam can fall off and it's totally harmless. It cannot strike the heat shielding, as that is on top of the rocket and covered while launching.

Do you have any evidence of this? Links to politicians specifically making statements about the danger of human crews on the SLS, etc?

As seen above, the Dragon Crew capsule should be certified within a few months.

That's a hard comparison. In the 60's, we were starting from scratch. A lot of the science and technology was unknown, and we were developing it as we go.

Now? We know all of the things we need to know. We just need to develop new hardware.

Of course he picked a random number out of his ass - that doesn't mean the number is impossible to achieve.

Personally I think even if the 2024 date slips, we should still get there before 2030 easily.

I did at one point talk to the daughter of the husband and wife team that worked on designing the bit that ruptured during the challenger explosion.  Apparently they were both watching the tv when the thing went, and one looked at the other and said “o-rings” at which point both of them rushed off.

Edited by Bombastinator
Corrected for accuracy. I don’t know what bit exploded. Fuel tanks were in the conversation, but I don’t know if that was the actual bit or not

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I did at one point talk to the daughter of the husband and wife team that worked on designing the bit that ruptured during the challenger explosion.  Apparently they were both watching the tv when the thing went, and one looked at the other and said “o-rings” at which point both of them rushed off.

Yeah I watched a documentary about Challenger a while ago, and yeah most of the engineers basically told NASA not to launch, and they were overruled.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

do you know why the boosters and external tank were problematic? It's because of the foam that kept falling off, and striking the body of the orbiter (usually damaging the heat shielding).

The problem with the boosters was not the insulation foam, it was a faulty design with a single point of failure: The seals between sections. They claim to have rectified this, but they have not changed the design significantly, they have simply changed the seal shape and material. The seals are still a single point of failure.

And yes, the tank foam still comes off, it's actually worse than it was during the shuttle days. The solution they chose was to move to a foam that does not harden as much when frozen. The idea being that if the foam isn't hard enough to damage the boosters, it won't damage the boosters when it hits them. The tradeoff was insulation performance: The outside of the tank freezes significantly more than it did in the shuttle days, causing actual ice to fall off of the tank.

Do you have any evidence of this? Links to politicians specifically making statements about the danger of human crews on the SLS, etc?

I have none specifically about the SLS, no. However, since the 16th Apollo flight, the most popular view was to be against spending money on space flight. Once the Russians started on their own space station program, things heated up enough to gain support for the Shuttle, but even that evaporated 19 years before the shuttles were grounded, with many politicians openly and publicly calling for an end to the space shuttle program throughout most of the programs life.

Since 2005, I cannot recall a single time where space flight was popularly supported in the legislature beyond what directly helps the military and honoring existing commitments. I can think of many times where politicians said that they wanted to push getting to Mars, only to immediately vote against funding anything that had to do with US manned space flight.

With over 30 years of the most popular political view being to not spend money on manned space flight, I think that the point is self evident and it should have to be proven that we are actually dedicated to getting it done, and not the other way around.

In the 60's, we were starting from scratch. A lot of the science and technology was unknown, and we were developing it as we go.

Now? We know all of the things we need to know. We just need to develop new hardware.

That's funny, considering that from first US manned space flight to landing on the moon took only 8 years.

The SLS has already been in development for almost 9 years, and has yet to fly a single time.

In addition to that, the US has not been conducting self supported manned space flight in the mean time.

Personally I think even if the 2024 date slips, we should still get there before 2030 easily.

If modern military programs are anything to go by, you are absolutely correct. The date could slip by 20 years and everyone would claim that everything is fine.

However, if we go by the history of our space programs, significant deadline misses are very bad news, usually leading to project cancellation.

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

Frankly... Before even thinking of leaving our nice cosy little planet, maybe we should first think about doing some clean up

Spoiler

enhanced-buzz-7815-1368784748-7.jpg?down

And also do something about this kind of crazies:

https://globalmeteornetwork.org/?p=570

https://www.sciencealert.com/starlink-is-being-an-absolute-nuisance-to-astronomers

Spoiler

Thumbnail for A release image

At least to have the poor Hu-Mans to be able to look and point to where they want to send their invader little buggers ?

Nice way to start an intergalactic war ?

On 2/14/2020 at 6:55 AM, straight_stewie said:

every single space shuttle accident was caused by either the external tank, or the external boosters. Both of which are core components of the SLS.

I recall the last Shuttle burning up due to the protective titles following off during launch. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I recall the last Shuttle burning up due to the protective titles following off during launch. 

Yes, but the damage was caused by debris (foam) coming off the fuel tank and hitting the wing, breaking some tiles. They simply didn’t know about the damage until it was too late. 

Later flights added additional manoeuvres in place so that the ISS could inspect the orbiter for damage (that way the crew could hold out on the ISS in an emergency and wait for pickup). 

All in all, I seriously doubt any of those issues (challenger or Columbia) are going to impact the SLS at all. 

As far as I can tell, both flaws were fixed and won’t affect SLS launches. 

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

On 2/11/2020 at 2:08 PM, Magnetar_Byte said:

we need to wait for our scientists around the world to come to a conclusion

hmmmm no

countries will do what they please