Seagate HDD chirp/squeak

Simo375i
Go to solution Solved by TempestCatto,
2 minutes ago, Simo375i said:

Inter-Tech Energon

That's a shite PSU with a not so reputable OEM.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1628879-so-i-m-running-inter-tech-energon-650w-should-i-change-asap.html

I'd change it out regardless of the issue here. Have a look at the PSU Tier list here on LTT and pick a good one that fits your budget (I can always recommend a good Seasonic or Corsair RMx):

So heres a sound i haven't heard before today. My 4tb Seagate HDD (ST4000DM004 if it matters.) is making this sound around the time i get to my desktop on startup and it squeaks like this a few times and shortly after it is back to normal. Additionally my pc starts up with the E: (Which is what this drive is) folder open and then it closes after a while by itself. To me it is strange because i replaced my D drive just days ago because that was doing the folder thing too.
Keep in mind the D drive was significantly older than this drive (4-5 years older.). It also chirps if i manually access the E: folder and at that point it closes and opens the folder by itself a few times (as if it is connecting and disconnecting the drive.) and moving files too gives me issues because it every few seconds just stops (0 Kb/s.) and then goes for another few seconds rinse an repeat all while squeaking occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxHKMw76EY&feature=emb_logo

@seagate_surfer

I'll be honest, I can't tell you if it's bad or not. I have an EIDE drive from 98 (don't remember the brand) that does this. It still works to this day. Use Crystal Disk Info and check the health of the drive. What's your full system specs? I'm wondering if it's PSU related, since your old one did the same thing.

Check SMART status, with CrystalDiskInfo for example.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

@seagate_surfer

I'll be honest, I can't tell you if it's bad or not. I have an EIDE drive from 98 (don't remember the brand) that does this. It still works to this day. Use Crystal Disk Info and check the health of the drive. What's your full system specs? I'm wondering if it's PSU related, since your old one did the same thing.

What the old one used to do was move files at a normal speed and then randomly cut out and once it came back it would open up it's folder same as plugging in a USB stick. What this one does when moving files is starting at 8 MB/s or so and after a sec or two it stops completely though it doesn't say it failed. Then after 2 or 3 more seconds it starts going again at the same speed rinse and repeat.
Full system specs would be:
I5-8400
MSI Z370 Gaming M5 (Overkill for the cpu i know)

MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Some sort of Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz RAM. 2x8GB of those

The PSU is called Inter-Tech Energon EPS-750W and i don't actually know much about the quality of it being that it was in the PC when i bought it.

I had my pc custom configured and made for me when i bought it 7-ish years ago and i have since done some upgrades but i never touched the PSU. The other HDD i changed a few days ago came with the pc originally too and the one making problems now didn't so thats why this confuses me.

I took some screenshots of Crystal disk. One from an all new HDD and then one from the one giving me trouble now and tbh i don't see much difference.

HDD1.PNG

HDD2.PNG

2 minutes ago, Simo375i said:

Inter-Tech Energon

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1628879-so-i-m-running-inter-tech-energon-650w-should-i-change-asap.html

I'd change it out regardless of the issue here. Have a look at the PSU Tier list here on LTT and pick a good one that fits your budget (I can always recommend a good Seasonic or Corsair RMx):

Well thats good to know. I have thought of replacing it lately but that was mostly to get a modular powersupply. I didn't really want to replace it being that it was still working.

I have to ask though is there a chance my HDDs aren't getting enough power or that the PSU in some way is managing to damage/excessively wear my drives? It's interesting because i have an old Samsung SSD and Crystal says 69 on the Wear Leveling Count and that thing was in here when i first got this system as with the PSU. I know that SSDs work differently to HDDs but while the HDD giving me trouble is only a few years old (3-4 years max~.) the SSD is way older with 105TB in the Total Host Writes section (It's a 75TBW SSD.) and it also has 3 times as many hours on it as the HDD (Coming up to 15000 hours.).

Download and install SeaTools for Windows, it is better to use tools made by the manufacturer. The algorithms can be read differently by third-party tools, since this possibility exists it is better to avoid them and use the official tool just in case and the other tools like secondary tools but you rely on this one for final status of the HDD. You can also check to see if you have FW updates available: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

I have also posted a step by step guide somewhere (need to find it ?) to lower loud noises but I think your case is different.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

It might be time to replace that and get a fully modular instead of this non modular ketchup and mustard bs :D I have the power for the HDDs running from to PSU to one HDD and then on to the next one on the same cable. I switched them and it stopped giving me issues. I even switched back and there was nothing even after a whole bunch of restarts and stresstests in order to narrow down and find out the issue. I don't use my HDDs for other than just storing things and the one that was making sounds hasn't been used a lot so i was confused about it being broken already because it really isn't old and i don't give it a lot of physical abuse either but it makes much more sense that my 7 year old already shit from the beginning-PSU needs replacing.
And maybe i can live with it as it is for now but i'll replace it anyway because pretty much anyone who has ever tried cablemanagement with a non modular PSU in a system with a few disks and controllers for fans and such know that the term management is used very loosely. I'm glad that my case doesnt have a rear glass panel because i really wouldn't want to show that side off :D