Do you use optical drives?

Henry

Optical drives are still useful for those of us who are older than 30. Without them its hard to rip those cd collections we built up in our youth.

:D  A friend just bought a turntable for his system so that he could rip his 2K+ album collection.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I haven't used a cd/dvd rom in at least two years. If you have a fast internet connection there is no need for an optical drive. 

Might I suggest a certain blue pill for yourself?

I definitely don't need that :P

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

All the time. I use it to burn disc so I can listen to it in my car(doesn't have cassette.) I have Netflix and I receive Movies in the mail so I need a Blu-Ray player(Some movies can't be streamed) When I install an OS.

There are many uses for it and I like to include at least a DVD burner. Rather have it there from the beginning that have to run to my local best buy and get ripped off.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I only use it for old movies that i have on a DVD.

Gotta burn my CDs somehow! Mom's car doesn't have a 3.5mm jack -_-

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Basically for OS installs.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I installed my OS and had to install the Ethernet driver for my motherboard using my optical. Apart from that i haven't used it since.

No. But it is still useful for others. Meh i dont like discs now. drives ftw.

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

i am forced to for games due to my bandwidth cap

Aselwyn1

I will very likely be having 2 in my desktop build.

Use it to install games I get from Amazon. Downloads speeds are still just too slow from Steam or Origin.

Also OS install I either use a usb stick or disc.

very very rare, OS installs some times and the odd old game but that is about it. There was a while where I was watching old DVD's on it but not any more as I now have my DVD player hooked up with surround sound to the same screen as my PC

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I use my optical drive all the time for music, seeing as there's a shop that sells CDs right around the corner from my apartment.

Plus, that noise it makes when it starts to read a disk. mmmmmmm

Dennis is asshole, why Charlie hate?

I actually still use it pretty actively. i still buy my music via CDs because I like having a physical item when it comes to my music so when I use my drive pretty actively. 

I will very likely be having 2 in my desktop build.

Why would you need two?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

i have a blu-ray drive (not a burner unfortunately) but i use it to burn cd's  for friends and to watch movies and install some of my older games, In fact i have diablo 2 in the it right now however i haven't gotten around to installing it.

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

I only use optical drive on my MacBook, and mostly because I can't remove it (easily). Else I would just move all my install media to USB drives. On my main desktop PC I haven't used an optical drive for years.

Why would you need two?

Because I have two after combining two builds a while back, I can easily fit two in my case, I can plug two in with the method I am going with, and two is always better than one. Think of all the multitasking you can do since you have two of them. Now do I need two and would I even plan a build with two in, no.

Haven't needed one the past two years... but if I happen to do I'll just insert the disk into my laptop, rip an image and forward the image to my computer to run it. :)

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Haven't needed one the past two years... but if I happen to do I'll just insert the disk into my laptop, rip an image and forward the image to my computer to run it. :)

yep thats what I mostly use them for, reading physiical media into my computer and possibly making boot discs of thing that arnt USB friendly, then booting off them. There is also backing certain things up as they do last considerably longer than HDDs when properly stored.

Not for quite a while now, it's really just occasionally. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!