Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
okaysalami

How often do you upgrade your PC?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I kinda want to upgrade from my current GTX 1060 and i5-7600K, but the whole build is just slightly over two years old and it feels like wasted money if I upgrade so soon. How often do you swap your parts? Do you upgrade RAM and GPU more often than CPU? Do you always want to stay high-end? Let me know! ?

9 minutes ago, RiktigaRonny said:

I kinda want to upgrade from my current GTX 1060 and i5-7600K, but the whole build is just slightly over two years old and it feels like wasted money if I upgrade so soon. How often do you swap your parts? Do you upgrade RAM and GPU more often than CPU? Do you always want to stay high-end? Let me know! ?

If you require more performance and your current system just isn't cutting it then go for it, CPUs have advanced at a rapid rate in the last 3 years, AMD has quadrupled the amount of cores you can get for a mainstream system.

I personally upgrade every 4-5 years but I still have my GPU from 2014 so I've only upgraded the CPU because I've desperately needed it and I didn't make a wise purchase with my previous system in the first place, it was obsolete even at the time I've bought it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied, otherwise you'd just be talking to yourself.

Honestly, I waited five years. I would wait until the end of this year if you can, since zen 3 is supposed push things even further along performance wise. Intel should have some new SKU out by then too, with updated pricing to performance models to be more competitive. I can understand wanting to upgrade though since you aren't much better off than I was with my haswell pc, your gpu is still relevant so I would hold on for a bit longer.

For me its more when im not getting the performance I feel I want/need out of my system, usually in gaming. Until I answer the question that I can only answer, no, then I usually dont bother. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

About every 10 years for a complete upgrade. I'm not a gamer so max performance isnt as critical to me.

I have 32GB of RAM, lots of storage in the form of SSDs and nVMEs, and a modest 1060GTX with dual Xeon CPUs.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

As long as you can OC your CPU to 4.5ghz and you aren't getting stuttering as a result of your CPU...I'd keep it till it sh!ts the bed.  If you aren't using a SSD currently...time to upgrade your drive.  As for GPU....if you aren't getting 1080p/60fps using ultra settings in your fav games...time to upgrade GPU.  If you have less than 16gb of ram...time to upgrade ram.  Just my 2 cents before having enough coffee this morning.

Usually a complete upgrade every 4 or 5 years but I get a graphics card upgrade in between :) but i usually buy top end stuff.. I guess if I was getting mid range stuff then the upgrades would be more frequent. 

33 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I'd keep it till it sh!ts the bed. 

Lol thats usually how i roll. My i7 920 is almost 12 years old now (still haven't OC yet)