Workstation card on a budget - Radeon pro W5500/M

williamcll

AMD-Radeon-Pro-W5500-1.jpg

The professional version of the RX 5500 is now available for just 399$ and has a bit more core count in exchange for lower clocks:

MD announced the Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card, delivering the performance and advanced features to meet the demands of today’s modern Design & Manufacturing, and Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC) professionals. AMD also announced the Radeon Pro W5500M GPU to power next-generation, high-performance professional mobile workstations.

Harnessing the high-performance AMD RDNA architecture and GDDR6 memory, the Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card delivers up to 25 percent higher performance-per-clock than the previous-generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.

Key features of the Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card include:

• Incredible multitasking performance – Provides up to 10x better estimated application workflow performance versus the competition in the SPECviewperf 13 benchmark under a multitasking load.
  • Real-world power efficiency – The combination of the power efficient AMD RDNA architecture and Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise enables the Radeon Pro W5500 to scale to meet the power demands of professional applications, consuming up to 32 percent less system power on average in SOLIDWORKS solid modeling workflows than the competition.
  • Professional-grade software – Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise offers performance improvements in each release. Support is also provided for AMD Remote Workstation allowing professionals to access their physical workstations from virtually anywhere.

The Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card is expected to be available beginning mid-February for $399 USD SEP from leading retailers.

image.png.e7b561ac92cce14fcf7b0ce5322e046f.png

Source: https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-launches-radeon-pro-w5500-workstation-graphics-card-at-399-usd

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-Pro-5500M-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.442754.0.html

Thoughts: A fantastic card for lower end workstations, but the line between pro and consumer seems to be much blurrier at this point, as many consumer cards can perform professional task equally well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Too bad its only 4 4k screens. Would be a rather interesting card if it could do say like 8. At least in terms lf less pro usecases. 

59 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

... is it me, or are there onlt two Navi-based Radeon Pro standalone Workstation cards? o_o

Does the Pro 5300M on the macbook pro count?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i'm more interested in PCIe add-in cards, but yeah i think that's the only Navi-based mobile GPU too o_o

The macbook also have the 5500M but I am unsure if it follows the pro spec or regular spec.

I'd really love to see something like this benchmarked against a normal 5500 and 5600, as well as team green's closest cost workstation card.

Will this card support MX/Virtual GPUs? To which consumercard is this one comparable?