RX 5700 XT crashing

kibo_43

I've had my RX5700 XT for quite a while and initially all was going well until i noticed that crashing started occurring randomly where i would be playing games and suddenly my PC would black screen and i would be forced to restart. I have monitored my temperatures and believe that that is not the issue, i am aware that AMD have some issues with drivers and what not but i have the option to return my graphics card for a replacement from AMD. I was wondering if that was worth it as my GPU seems completely okay most of the time or should i just wait for driver issues to be resolved.

Can you specify your card, please.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 minutes ago, kibo_43 said:

I've had my RX5700 XT for quite a while and initially all was going well until i noticed that crashing started occurring randomly where i would be playing games and suddenly my PC would black screen and i would be forced to restart. I have monitored my temperatures and believe that that is not the issue, i am aware that AMD have some issues with drivers and what not but i have the option to return my graphics card for a replacement from AMD. I was wondering if that was worth it as my GPU seems completely okay most of the time or should i just wait for driver issues to be resolved.

Which driver are you on?

Well,That is part of the driver issues that AMD GPUs suffer from,

I am a victim of it myself,the only way to fix it is to wait for AMD to release a fix or to go NVIDIA,

And i chose to go NVIDIA.

The black screens and driver crashes are very common with AMD GPUs,It's so common that Steve from Gamers Nexus had to speak with AMD in the matter:

Also Steve had a hard time recommending the 5600 XT due to those issues.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, kibo_43 said:

the newest version driver

DDU and go back to 19.12.1. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-12-1

Also, update your Chipset drivers for whatever motherboard you have. The Chipset drivers/PCIe power delivery seems to be the biggest problem Navi has, not the drivers. Though there's a few games that still need patched but that are rather old.

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Well,That is part of the driver issues that AMD GPUs suffer from,

I am a victim of it myself,the only way to fix it is to wait for AMD to release a fix or to go NVIDIA,

And i chose to go NVIDIA.

The black screens and driver crashes are very common with AMD GPUs,It's so common that Steve from Gamers Nexus had to speak with AMD in the matter:

Also Steve had a hard time recommending the 5600 XT due to those issues.

They're actually not "very common". They're a problem for a group of users with some specific criteria that no one is quite sure what it is yet, however. 

I get the same with my rx5700xt sapphire pulse with the latest drivers. I am using driver version 19.12.1 now and this version works fine.

4 minutes ago, chris1981 said:

I get the same with my rx5700xt sapphire pulse with the latest drivers. I am using driver version 19.12.1 now and this version works fine.

The 2020 Adrenaline drivers have been pretty rough for a lot of people, though GCN-based drivers don't need to be updated that often. Unless you're playing a brand new game and absolutely need that +15%.

I am on the latest adrenaline drivers, and I haven't had any issues so far. Any issues I have had were fixed with Chipset or Bios updates like someone had mentioned above.

1 minute ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I am on the latest adrenaline drivers, and I haven't had any issues so far. Any issues I have had were fixed with Chipset or Bios updates like someone had mentioned above.

The Navi cards are the first PCIe 4.0 cards. PCIe is supposed to be "forward" compatible, but the reality is much messier. And a lot of the problems are simply chipsets need updates to manage their power properly. A lot of the "AMD Drivers are bad!" problems go away when people update their Chipset drivers. Or properly uninstall old Nvidia drivers. Or aren't obvious Paid Shills flooding forums with intentionally bad information because they're clearly too incompetent to RMA a clearly broken card, which you always have a 1-2% of happening.

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Navi cards are the first PCIe 4.0 cards. PCIe is supposed to be "forward" compatible, but the reality is much messier. And a lot of the problems are simply chipsets need updates to manage their power properly. A lot of the "AMD Drivers are bad!" problems go away when people update their Chipset drivers. Or properly uninstall old Nvidia drivers. Or aren't obvious Paid Shills flooding forums with intentionally bad information because they're clearly too incompetent to RMA a clearly broken card, which you always have a 1-2% of happening.

Yeah I honestly haven't had any more issues with my 5700xt than I had with my GTX 970 thus far. I don't deny that so far the 5700's launch has been messy and software wise could have been handled better, but for me the value was there so I saw no reason no to go with the 5700xt, and I don't regret it one bit.

6 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

Yeah I honestly haven't had any more issues with my 5700xt than I had with my GTX 970 thus far. I don't deny that so far the 5700's launch has been messy and software wise could have been handled better, but for me the value was there so I saw no reason no to go with the 5700xt, and I don't regret it one bit.

Launch was actually fine, minus the "this is a new architecture, there will be bugs in old games" issue. [Though some of the early Press Drivers seemed to have issues fixed just before Launch.] What's actually going on is a well-done social media attack campaign (likely from Nvidia's external marketing agencies, but it could be plenty of other companies) that kept the "drivers are bad!" in the collective "mind" of the community until AMD actually made a real flub with the Black Screen issues for a large enough group of users on the 2020 Adrenaline drivers. If this wasn't the case, we couldn't recommend people go back to 19.12.1 drivers and generally be fine.

r/AMD is being bombarded, currently, with "getting rid of my 5700 XT and getting a 2070 Super" posts. Which is strange, as the users are apparently morons incapable of getting a RMA when their card is bad but can the instant they want to switch to a more expensive card. The problem with all of this noise is that the Black Screen issue isn't well explored and there's no current solution except a Driver Rollback.

Why would anyone go from a rx5700xt to a 2070 super? I expect amd will sort the black screen issue soon and then you have a great card that was a good price.

2 minutes ago, chris1981 said:

Why would anyone go from a rx5700xt to a 2070 super? I expect amd will sort the black screen issue soon and then you have a great card that was a good price.

19.12.1 is fine and the 2020 features are getting a bit bloated. The 5700 XT -> 2070S is a narrative where people show up either saying they did or are doing that, minus the fact they hadn't RMA'd a card that was supposedly bad. That's what Influence Bots do. They lie and push a Narrative.

There's definitely some issues in the 2020 drivers that need to be sorted. Hopefully they get it soon. 20.1.4 is apparently solid for a good number that had issues before.

24 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's definitely some issues in the 2020 drivers that need to be sorted.

Yes. Aka they're way shittier than they should be. Bad enough that like @Vishera pointed out, GN observed it on their own, saw shit tons of people talking about it (more than there should be even with a new GPU release), and so directly asked AMD reps about it when given the chance. 

IIRC I actually did install my chipset drivers and I run Intel, not AMD lmao. 2020 has still be shit on my RVII, although to be fair I haven't had a bunch of blackscreens on the absolute latest version. Was having way too fucking many before, we'll see if this keeps up. It's not the card that's faulty (other than it being a meh bin for OCing but that's just silicon lottery), since it works just fine on the last WQHL Reccomended AD2019 version. 

Friend's 5700XT has been hella fucky on 2020, even had to get a new BIOS from PowerColor and everything to get it to clock any higher than 550Mhz on AD2020 drivers. Again, they have way more issues than they should be having. 

My Nvidia cards have never had near this amount of headaches (even my 1660 Ti hasn't had issues, nor the couple Polaris cards I had (to AMD's credit those seemed pretty fine by the time I was running them). Only cards I've had like some slight issues with are my EVGA 780 Classifieds I got used, and that only when trying to run them in SLI, and OCing them, and I can't confirm that it wasn't something else in the system causing the issue lol. 

But yes people's distrust of AD2020 drivers and moving to Nvidia is totally valid, that's something I would have done if I had the budget for an Nvidia card at or above the level of my RVII, and the patience to tear down my loop again after I just rebuilt it. In my experience and from my reading, a much larger percentage of people have had issues with AD2020 drivers - especially on Navi, and some of the comparatively few fellow RVII owners have also had issues - than peeps with Turing/Pascal cards and their associated drivers. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, kibo_43 said:

just the reference AMD RX 5700 Xt that AMD sells

4 hours ago, kibo_43 said:

the newest version driver

I don't know how can I have the opposite experience with RX 5700 XT than all of the problem that people got with theirs.

Here some screenshots of my system running for more than 5 hours with around 3 hours of gaming last night without even single crash/BSOD. I use the latest driver Adrenaline 20.2.1, it runs smoothly.

Cropped.jpg.bc7a9346320addc2134d4a764230e6b5.jpg

197085549_Adrenaline20.2.1.thumb.png.bcbd2c149baeaed0417e64eaa895759f.png

Maybe you need to use one of the previous most stable driver available. Or you can try to set the PCIe setting in BIOS from "Auto" to "Gen 3", if you have that option in BIOS, it's worth the try.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

@Sakaki_Makio the actual answer, for why you haven't had much trouble, can probably be summed up as "well, you aren't a moron", as that seems to be the consistent issue in most cases. Most of the complaints around about "bad drivers" simply aren't about bad drivers. They're normally issues with Windows and the person just gave up the instant they had a problem (minus the fact they can hop onto some forum to complain about it).

There is definitely some issues with the 2020 drivers that need to be worked out, but that's not really the issue being dealt with.

12 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Yes. Aka they're way shittier than they should be. Bad enough that like @Vishera pointed out, GN observed it on their own, saw shit tons of people talking about it (more than there should be even with a new GPU release), and so directly asked AMD reps about it when given the chance. 

IIRC I actually did install my chipset drivers and I run Intel, not AMD lmao. 2020 has still be shit on my RVII, although to be fair I haven't had a bunch of blackscreens on the absolute latest version. Was having way too fucking many before, we'll see if this keeps up. It's not the card that's faulty (other than it being a meh bin for OCing but that's just silicon lottery), since it works just fine on the last WQHL Reccomended AD2019 version. 

Friend's 5700XT has been hella fucky on 2020, even had to get a new BIOS from PowerColor and everything to get it to clock any higher than 550Mhz on AD2020 drivers. Again, they have way more issues than they should be having. 

My Nvidia cards have never had near this amount of headaches (even my 1660 Ti hasn't had issues, nor the couple Polaris cards I had (to AMD's credit those seemed pretty fine by the time I was running them). Only cards I've had like some slight issues with are my EVGA 780 Classifieds I got used, and that only when trying to run them in SLI, and OCing them, and I can't confirm that it wasn't something else in the system causing the issue lol. 

But yes people's distrust of AD2020 drivers and moving to Nvidia is totally valid, that's something I would have done if I had the budget for an Nvidia card at or above the level of my RVII, and the patience to tear down my loop again after I just rebuilt it. In my experience and from my reading, a much larger percentage of people have had issues with AD2020 drivers - especially on Navi, and some of the comparatively few fellow RVII owners have also had issues - than peeps with Turing/Pascal cards and their associated drivers. 

The RVII's drivers have been in a rough state the entire time, to my knowledge.  So, sadly, that isn't too surprising there.

Your friend's 5700 XT, if it needed a vBIOS update, is having problems because of the AIB. It means they messed something up and are still trying to fix it. That does jive with Mindfactory's high RMA rate on only PowerColor cards and no one else. 

Nvidia had a good run with Pascal, but Turing launched badly. Especially the 2080 TI with massive RMA rates. And drivers for a lot of people haven't been that great, it's just you can't start a movement on r/Nvidia or anywhere else. Nvidia makes sure their problems don't stick around the community's consciousness very long. GPP anyone? 

Also, this is what a 'bad" driver causes: 

Nvidia has actually done this a few times in the last decade. What we're really dealing with is Narrative and Marketing. There's always bad cards. Tech has a roughly 1.5% baseline RMA rate, so about 1 in every 66 purchases will need a RMA. (And if you get a bad PSU, it can wipe out the rest of a system in the process.) Though your Friend should just revert back the driver until their problem gets solved. And hopefully PowerColor gets their act together on their Navi cards.

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The RVII's drivers have been in a rough state the entire time, to my knowledge.

Nope. Wattman has always been fucky, but the drivers themselves were fine up till late last year. 

Especially the 2080 TI with massive RMA rates.

That was hardware. Not drivers.

And drivers for a lot of people haven't been that great, it's just you can't start a movement on r/Nvidia or anywhere else.

That's valid, buuut I've seen a heck ton more people here having fucky Navi drivers than Nvidia ones. AFAIK the LTT forum mods don't go around deleting any Nvidia driver issue threads to avoid making team green look bad. 

Also, this is what a 'bad" driver causes: 

Oof that is nasty. Interesting that it's 3 years ago though (just when I was getting into tech, must've barely missed that), have they had any massive issues like that recently? I haven't observed anything like that, on my Nvidia machines drivers have been fine, whereas my RVII has been getting worse drivers with time, which is the opposite of what should be happening. Drivers were fine on my Polaris and first gen Vega cards as well. 

Also to note, there's no set level of "not good" something has to be to be labeled bad. Bricking cards is bad, my card blackscreening and force restarting the whole rig along with it is also bad. 

What we're really dealing with is Narrative and Marketing.

Eh. I've actually personally observed issues with my RVII on Adrenaline 2020 and have seen and know a bunch of others with issues on their Navi cards running Adrenaline 2020 drivers. Issues I have not observed in my Nvidia cards over the same timeframe, or seen masses of complaints from other people. I'm pulling from my personal experience and information from other users and publications to back up my opinion that AMD drivers are currently bad. 

I bought into Narrative and Marketing once and got Ryzen, because I was a noob and didn't have my own personal experience to build off of (or the knowledge of what I was really looking for or who to ask/trust), and so many people here seem to have a hate boner for Intel and Nvidia so they push AMD too hard. For what I like to do Ryzen was fucking shite (literally overclocking, they can't clock for shit with safe voltages). For a lot of other people it's an excellent solution though. The GPUs are the opposite, I'd recommend them if you're into OCing and don't mind the headache of dealing with drivers since you do get powerplay compatibility with Vega and Navi, but I wouldn't recommend them for most normal users, since Nvidia's drivers at this time are much better from everything I've read and observed on my own rigs, aaand they provide more features that can help justify the higher cost (in the case of the common 2070 S vs 5700 XT debate, the 2070 S sports NVENC, CUDA, and RTX, none of which the Navi card has a good answer for, which justifies the higher price of the 2070 S because it actually has more features, and isn't an evil ploy by Nvidia to steal your money). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Zando Bob not to be too critical, but you're thing is OC'ing and you didn't know the hardware well enough to know Zen clocks like a GPU and near its Fmax?

But my point still stands. There are issues with the 2020 Adrenaline drivers for a number of setups and it needs to be solved. There, however, hasn't been this "AMD drivers are bad" reality, as a general sense. That's what Marketing from Nvidia is about. And, yes, a chunk of those posts, even here, aren't real users. Every discussion forum gets hit by the blanket Narrative Pushing marketing. That's why they do it. It's the same reason that Clickbait headlines work, actually. By constantly mentioning a Narrative, even if nothing confirms it for years, one event fits it and we're in "AMD Drivers are bad" territory. 

It also doesn't help that a lot of the AMD Bad stuff is because Chrome has a Hardware Acceleration bug in it, but Nvidia pays for the anti-AMD narrative and, well, we're here right now. As a result, we can't help or solve actual problems and the entire discussion is about non-issues. It's a testament to the power of the work Nvidia has done to attack AMD. (As a historical reference point, this is the way Nvidia operates. They were always the company that was behind for a decade, won out in the 90s by undermining everyone in every shady way they could, then continued to act that way after they made it to the top of the market. They do make good products, but the company isn't anything to like.)

20 hours ago, kibo_43 said:

Could it possibly be PSU? I had problems with a RX 5700 (non-XT) with the pre 2020 drivers, but never received a black screen that forced me to reboot...

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

not to be too critical, but you're thing is OC'ing and you didn't know the hardware well enough to know Zen clocks like a GPU and near its Fmax?

It doesn't do all-core core OCs well at all, which is what I enjoy. Most of the tweaking to be done is down to fucking with the boost and RAM (and now that you can change IF clocks themselves you can change some stuff up depending on your config, I haven't delved into that because I don't have a Zen 2 system). I find my Intel platforms much more satisfying to fuck around with, which is why I switched. Even X58, which is a balancing act of core multi/uncore/BLCK/RAM speed and all the accompanying voltages, was more fun and again far more satisfying to OC. Pushing a 3Ghz chip to 4.5 or 4.7 and seeing a noticeable impact in my daily gaming and benches is quite nice. Pushing a 2700X to 4.2-4.25Ghz at borderline unsafe voltages only to see if be slower in games and only much faster in all-core only benches is solidly meh. Especially when I had the top CPU (again, the 2700X), and best board on the market at the time (Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi). 

So it's not all that satisfying to OC and pulls uncomfortably high voltages (my X58 chips will eat 1.4-1.45v without much issue, but they're $20, 1.38-1.4v on a $330 2700X is hella yikes) for good all core clocks. Whereas my 5960X slaps to 4.7 all core, all day every day, at 1.3v, which is a perfectly safe voltage for Haswell-E, even up to 1.35v on water is fine for a daily. 

Lack of clocks is especially cripping on Zen/Zen+, they only compete with Haswell on IPC, yet can't clock near as high. The new ones do have a massive IPC increase though, so they can actually, finally, compete on performance vs the same core count Intel counterparts because of that. Still can't clock high and there's not much to squeeze out of them. Great for people who never fucked with their rig in the first place, sad for someone like me who'd rather pull the best the chip has out myself. 

20 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

But my point still stands. There are issues with the 2020 Adrenaline drivers for a number of setups and it needs to be solved. There, however, hasn't been this "AMD drivers are bad" reality, as a general sense. That's what Marketing from Nvidia is about. And, yes, a chunk of those posts, even here, aren't real users. Every discussion forum gets hit by the blanket Narrative Pushing marketing. That's why they do it. It's the same reason that Clickbait headlines work, actually. By constantly mentioning a Narrative, even if nothing confirms it for years, one event fits it and we're in "AMD Drivers are bad" territory. 

So conspiracy theory? Miss me with that shit lol. 

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It also doesn't help that a lot of the AMD Bad stuff is because Chrome has a Hardware Acceleration bug in it, but Nvidia pays for the anti-AMD narrative and, well, we're here right now. As a result, we can't help or solve actual problems and the entire discussion is about non-issues. It's a testament to the power of the work Nvidia has done to attack AMD. (As a historical reference point, this is the way Nvidia operates. They were always the company that was behind for a decade, won out in the 90s by undermining everyone in every shady way they could, then continued to act that way after they made it to the top of the market. They do make good products, but the company isn't anything to like.)

I don't think I even have Chrome installed on any of my PCs. ?

The drivers are bad because they're bad lol, not because Chrome fucks with it. None of the complaints I've personally seen even mentioned Chrome at all. 

Oh wow holy shit capitalistic companies are out to make money and often to morally dubious (at best) things in order to accomplish that goal? The cards perform better, are more or less reasonably priced (2080 Ti pricing is still eeeeeeh but it is what it is) and to my knowledge Nvidia isn't burning orphans alive or some shit so I don't have a massive moral objection to the company.

Main PC