Fractal Define R6 + 3950x... will it have enough airflow?

Windows95

Is it a mistake to use this CPU with this case? Im going to get the Noctua 15 for the 3950x, but im not sure if this case will be able to keep the hot air outside? Im not going to do any OC.

I like the dampening pannels on my R4, it really helps with the random noises there could be inside, thats why I was going for the R6 but im not sure.

What are you intending to do for the rest of the cooling set up? How many more fans are you using, where are they being positioned, leaving the top solid or removing the metal and installing just the filter etc etc

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

Is it a mistake to use this CPU with this case? Im going to get the Noctua 15 for the 3950x, but im not sure if this case will be able to keep the hot air outside? Im not going to do any OC.

I like the dampening pannels on my R4, it really helps with the random noises there could be inside, thats why I was going for the R6 but im not sure.

Don't worry about airflow, once you fill it up with decent fans it should all be good, which the R6 has a lot of slots for.

The 3950X is not power hungry, it consumes less power than a 9900K at stock.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

If you already have the Define R4, I don't think changing it would be worth the cost unless you really need something that the newer version have that yours don't.

1 hour ago, Windows95 said:

You'd drop a few degrees with a more mesh focused system, but as long as you're not OC'ing super hard, you should have no issues. You could always switch out the X2-GP14's for some better fans too, but build the system first and test it before making any more purchasing decisions. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

What are you intending to do for the rest of the cooling set up? How many more fans are you using, where are they being positioned, leaving the top solid or removing the metal and installing just the filter etc etc

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

Don't worry about airflow, once you fill it up with decent fans it should all be good, which the R6 has a lot of slots for.

The 3950X is not power hungry, it consumes less power than a 9900K at stock.

1 hour ago, KaitouX said:

If you already have the Define R4, I don't think changing it would be worth the cost unless you really need something that the newer version have that yours don't.

18 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You'd drop a few degrees with a more mesh focused system, but as long as you're not OC'ing super hard, you should have no issues. You could always switch out the X2-GP14's for some better fans too, but build the system first and test it before making any more purchasing decisions. 

What im asking is: if its really worth it to replace the default fans?

Does anyone have any tests that prove that adding a bunch of extra noctua fans or whatever, are going to lower the temps? If im going to remove the top plastic dampening thing to put 3 fans on top, and also add in extra 2 fans below, im going to be annoyed by extra noise that maybe does not do justice to the amount of cº being lowered

a11_081719.jpg

So im not sure. Specially the 3 fans above, I can imagine it will become a lot more noisy since you are having this massive gap in there and all the noise will escape the case. If the noise is acceptable and the improvement of lowering warm is good, I may consider it.

ALSO: whats better, the default x2 140mm mount at the front, or putting it 3 120mm ones?

31 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

What im asking is: if its really worth it to replace the default fans?

It could be, depending on how much you where you want your thermals to be relative to where they are, But again, 

50 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

build the system first and test it before making any more purchasing decisions. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It could be, depending on how much you where you want your thermals to be relative to where they are, But again, 

My point is that I would need to pay twice for the delivery, so if I buy it all at once im done with it. THese guys claim the default fans are kinda crap:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1706230-bought-define-r6-how-should-i-place-connect-my-fans-so-my-pc-silent-cool.html

They say:

The good news is the Define R6 is a great case. The bad news is the stock fans are almost worthless .. you need to replace the 2x front intakes with some good 140mm fans.

Which Silent Wings fan do you have? The Silent Wings 3 are very good.
Arctic F12 are decent fans at very low cost, but not great.
I'm not familiar with R6 PWM fan hub, but I assume it is a PWM splitting hub so should work well. What it will do is supply the PWM control from motherboard fan header to all PWM fans plugged into it and thus control their speeds. Just keep in mind PWM fans do not run the same speed on same PWM signal, even if they have same minimum and maximum speeds.. wink.gif To give you an idea of the differences, here's a graph of several popular PWM fans speed at PWM signal:
attachment.php?attachmentid=172601&stc=1
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319246-post4.html

Dark Rock 3 is a good mid-level cooler and will serve you well unless you plan to do some serious overclocking.

I suggest a couple new front intakes .. something like Phanteks PH-F140MP are very good and not too expensive. be quiet! Silent Wings 3 are arguably the very best but very expensive as well. Maybe a 3rd
140mm intake depending on what Silent Wings fan you have. I remove all back PCIe slot covers to create another rear vent around GPU and greatly improve front to back airflow around GPU thus lowering it's temps. Increase case bottom clearance with taller feet, spacer blocks under feet, open center caster base (my favorite) for better airflow to bottom.

With the intake fans I've suggested you will not need any exhaust fans at all. In fact I advice not using any.

Indeed, the stock fans are worthless and barely suck air through the filters. You will need some better fans with more static pressure to overcome the resistance of the air filters.
Put 2x 140mm fans in the front and 1 exhaust fan. That should give plenty airflow. I tried adding a bottom fan and 2 top fans, but my temps barely decreased by doing so.

So im going to definitely replace them, the question is, which ones do I buy that will be powerful to remove all this warm air the 3950x will create?

R6 owner here:

Adding 3x 120MM fans to the top doesn't increase noise by much, but it is noticeable. Temp increase was of equal standing. Measurable, though not massive. I ran my overclocked 8600k in that case for quite a while, with several different GPU's of varying power consumption (An RX580, GTX 560, and GTX 670 with aggressive overclocks, and an RTX 2070 with a minor one since my card is thermally limited anyways).

GN did a review of the R6, and basically outlined its thermal characteristics well. It is an average performing case thermally, but above average in silence. Your 3950x will kick out less heat than the GN test system at stock, so you should be fine even with stock fans.

IMO the R4 is more than enough case itself, why not use it? Will you get that much use out of the top USB-C port?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

15 hours ago, SenKa said:

R6 owner here:

Adding 3x 120MM fans to the top doesn't increase noise by much, but it is noticeable. Temp increase was of equal standing. Measurable, though not massive. I ran my overclocked 8600k in that case for quite a while, with several different GPU's of varying power consumption (An RX580, GTX 560, and GTX 670 with aggressive overclocks, and an RTX 2070 with a minor one since my card is thermally limited anyways).

GN did a review of the R6, and basically outlined its thermal characteristics well. It is an average performing case thermally, but above average in silence. Your 3950x will kick out less heat than the GN test system at stock, so you should be fine even with stock fans.

IMO the R4 is more than enough case itself, why not use it? Will you get that much use out of the top USB-C port?

I have done some research and it seems the default fans are pretty lame, that is why I askedfor alternatives. See:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1706230-bought-define-r6-how-should-i-place-connect-my-fans-so-my-pc-silent-cool.html

7 hours ago, Windows95 said:

I have done some research and it seems the default fans are pretty lame, that is why I askedfor alternatives. See:

Cant say i've noticed, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. I CAN say, some good noctua's or bequiet!'s will lower noise over stock. They were pretty noisy in the system they ended up in.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

3 hours ago, SenKa said:

Cant say i've noticed, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. I CAN say, some good noctua's or bequiet!'s will lower noise over stock. They were pretty noisy in the system they ended up in.

Actually on further research comparing at least the "CFM" specs from te defautl R6 fans which are the Dynamic X2 GP 14 to Noctuas, Artics, Phanteks... the difference in CFM is not that big so im confused.

4 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Actually on further research comparing at least the "CFM" specs from te defautl R6 fans which are the Dynamic X2 GP 14 to Noctuas, Artics, Phanteks... the difference in CFM is not that big so im confused.

The big thing is likely noise, as i said.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SenKa said:

The big thing is likely noise, as i said.

So im not looking at real life improvements of lowering temps? I mean the R4 fans on my case are pretty silent already so I expect R6 fans to be similar.. kinda pointless to change them then. And apparently adding fans beyond 2 at the front and one at the back is mostly a meme.

18 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So im not looking at real life improvements of lowering temps? I mean the R4 fans on my case are pretty silent already so I expect R6 fans to be similar.. kinda pointless to change them then. And apparently adding fans beyond 2 at the front and one at the back is mostly a meme.

Like I said above:

I dont expect you to gain much if anything of thermals, noise may be reduced a bit but not much, and top fans do help though honestly not much. I have not tried 3x 120mm int he front but i dont think it'd do anything.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler