New build started and switch from Intel to AMD

Trymon

edit: pictures of the build could be seen a few postings down this thread.

Hi all,

this post will be text only as my new build is starting as every build....with a huge order.

So for now it's just an announcement what I've purchased. If there are no delays in shipping I should receive my parts tomorrow and the build could start for real.

Tower: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout
Mainboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

CPU Cooler cover: Noctua NA-HC4 chromax.black
RAM: Corsair DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (2 modules)
M.2: 2 x Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
SSD: 2 x Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11, 80 PLUS Platinum, modular - 750W

For Graphics I will use my current GTX 1070 but sooner than later it will be replaced by an RTX 2080 super.

I can't wait to hold all the parts in my hands and start the build. It's a while since I've build such a higher price PC. The one before was, estimated, just half the price and based on a Intel Skylake i7 6700k choosing only the cheapest parts fitting the CPU.

The decision for an air CPU cooler was made by purpose as I don't see real benefit in Watercooling beside the looks and this would only really be cool with a custom loop. The Noctua cooler will provide more than enough performance and at the same time is a very silent cooler. Especially because I don't plan to overclock my system.
For the M.2 some might point that I might have considered using a PCIe4.0 M.2 but to be honest, I've just forgot about them and for my use case I don't see a real benefit using this "disks"

Stay tuned for more updates, hopeful starting tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Trymon said:

M.2: 2 x Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
SSD: 2 x Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

im assuming this is a workstation system, as this is rather silly for anything other than IO heavy read/write tasks. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

im assuming this is a workstation system, as this is rather silly for anything other than IO heavy read/write tasks. 

Yes and no.
It will be a gaming setup but also for photo editing and occasional video editing.

So yes this will be a multipurpose PC. 
Also there will run several virtual machines so the 64 GB of RAM isn't wasted. RAM might be upgraded even further to 128 GB at some point in time but for this I have first to see if 64GB are enough or not. But this is the reason currently only 2 slots will be populated so the upgrade is easy done by just adding more modules instead replacing existing ones.

But I have now also to tell a short story. Years ago in a ancient time I've got my first PC and it had a stunning 340 MB hard drive. My best friend at this time asked me what I will ever use this disk for, as I will never get it full. It's the same with this SSDs. Nobody knows what the demand will be in one or two years. We don't even know what will happen tomorrow.

I don't see anything wrong, except maybe a cheaper mobo, as the crosshair VIII is when I remember correctly a 700 dollar board, so as AM4 is an dieing plattform it might not be worth it. Also you could put the money you save, into a better cpu/gpu. But, these are just some thoughts of mine and you don't have to follow them, from my point of view I don't see a problem with your config

1 minute ago, Trymon said:

Yes and no.
It will be a gaming setup but also for photo editing and occasional video editing

in other words, that there is completely overkill for no good reason in terms of storage? you could probably have saved about 20-30% there. 

i mean there are cost saving everywhere. tho nothing really wrong with the build

3 minutes ago, Dropit said:

I don't see anything wrong, except maybe a cheaper mobo, as the crosshair VIII is when I remember correctly a 700 dollar board

Just a 470 dollar board including VAT. So not the highest possible price.
IT is unfortunately always dying  as soon a new product is released. We all could be happy if we get a few years granted.
The cost savings for a cheaper board wouldn't help that much with a better CPU and is not closely enough for the GPU but as written the GPU is already planned. Think in one or two months the GPU will be upgraded.

2 minutes ago, Trymon said:

Just a 470 dollar board including VAT. So not the highest possible price.
IT is unfortunately always dying  as soon a new product is released. We all could be happy if we get a few years granted.
The cost savings for a cheaper board wouldn't help that much with a better CPU and is not closely enough for the GPU but as written the GPU is already planned. Think in one or two months the GPU will be upgraded.

Yeah, sorry for remembering wrong. But as I already stated it is a fine build. Just get a swiss army knife with hopefully a philips head screwdriver and all should be right ?

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

in other words, that there is completely overkill for no good reason in terms of storage? you could probably have saved about 20-30% there. 

i mean there are cost saving everywhere. tho nothing really wrong with the build

I have already 970 pro's in my current build as M.2. 
More than once I saw the disk usage close to 100%. I bought everything with a purpose. So yes the PCIe4.0 NVME drives would be beneficial but I just forgot about them and currently I still wouldn't rely on them.
If I would search for cost savings I would have started with the cover for the CPU cooler as this is just spent money for the looks.

1 minute ago, Dropit said:

Yeah, sorry for remembering wrong. But as I already stated it is a fine build. Just get a swiss army knife with hopefully a philips head screwdriver and all should be right ?

It's by far not my first build I've done. Just once I bought a complete PC (ok my parents bought it) and this was my first one in 1996. :D
I think my iFixit Set is more than enough to get all the screws in place :)

15 minutes ago, Trymon said:

It's by far not my first build I've done. Just once I bought a complete PC (ok my parents bought it) and this was my first one in 1996. :D
I think my iFixit Set is more than enough to get all the screws in place :)

My first one was also bought by my parents so no shame there, just recently had my first build and pretty much all went perfect. Except the gpu a rx 5700 but I think these were just typicall amd driver issues so I sent it back and kept my gtx 1060 6gb.?

Just now, Dropit said:

My first one was also bought by my parents so no shame there, just recently had my first build and pretty much all went perfect. Except the gpu a rx 5700 but I think these were just typicall amd driver issues so I sent it back and kept my gtx 1060 6gb.?

It's absolutely no shame if the parents bought the first PC or even more. We all were at some point in time not able to save up for a own PC. Especially some decades ago as this stuff was insane expensive and almost no performance, compared to today. You could still spend an insane amount of money but then you get a hell of machine. 
Regarding AMD I'm still hoping for a miracle and AMD could play NVIDIA as they currently do with Intel. 

Are you going to include pictures of building process? As in should I move this to build logs instead as you aren't asking for help nor planning.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Are you going to include pictures of building process? As in should I move this to build logs instead as you aren't asking for help nor planning.

Hi yes absolutely.
I expect to receive the parts tomorrow, latest wednesday.
Somehow a small discussion developed after my posting but this whole thread is intended to show the pictures of the building process.
Just got a little to exited after purchasing and wanted to share the parts list as initial posting.

1 minute ago, Trymon said:

Hi yes absolutely.

Another moderator got to it faster, but its now in correct subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Now finally I could provide some pictures. But first, there is one rule that I have always to follow. No PC build without blood. Nice cut in my left index finger just. Why does cardboard have to have such sharp edges?

Everything has to start with a nice case. Here the Fractal Design S2 missing some parts.

IMG_20200211_132801.thumb.jpg.876f5f9d6035bae8ab7a348adbc341e6.jpg

Time to fill the lonely case. With the Mainboard it doesn't look so empty anymore

IMG_20200211_134308.thumb.jpg.3939ab244941f68caaca7c3a0e23aae9.jpg

And now I failed. Insted taking pictures of CPU and memory installation or with not covered M.2 drives you see just the huge air cooler dominating the look of this build.

IMG_20200211_145348.thumb.jpg.78fb18900186e9306d0e7ad3dcc78df5.jpg

Behind the scenes you will find currently a not so nice cable management.

IMG_20200211_164802.thumb.jpg.8bbcb69b35c3470aec8f5f00db75c9a3.jpg

And the final look behind protective Glass. 

IMG_20200211_165000.thumb.jpg.889708b79246815369dc22407d4b6d2c.jpg

Now some final words because more than one will think thy does this build looks so messy.

Easy answer it's not done. Unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow to get the power supply and the covers for the air cooler. Especially because I have to swap the power supply tomorrow it didn't make any sense to bother with nice cable management. For the moment the power supply powering this machine is the one used in my old PC. There will be soon new and better pictures that don't look so messy. :)

I'm very happy with the case and the general look of this build. Depending on the cable design of the new power supply I might swap them to get all black cables and at some point the GPU will be replaced to one as black as possible. Then the name black beauty might be an option. ;)

Finally all parts arrived. At least all parts I've intended to install currently into this build.

Let's first start with front and rear of the case. I really like the clean look of this Fractal Design case and for the rear part. I assume I have now more USB ports than I will ever need. :)

IMG_20200212_173631.thumb.jpg.7c9aea90c2e228cc418e8f52c6dc3f5b.jpg

IMG_20200212_173648.thumb.jpg.2f2214ea45329fe72d7f2b8abf39679c.jpg

Cable management looks now a little bit cleaner than yesterday but far from perfect. But to be honest nobody will see this cables. Cover fits perfect at the top so no reason to make it more perfect. Also another three 3.5 or 2.5 inch drives could be installed at the left side.
IMG_20200212_173315.thumb.jpg.81e31d99b48daf5f1f91fa81f0f8f9cf.jpg

be.quiet has nice black cables that fit perfect into this build as black became the main theme.
IMG_20200212_173411.thumb.jpg.235e19c7ae1fd53a95c49651b654a02f.jpg

Here is a small annoyance. This colorful cables connecting the case to the board don't fit to the overall look.

IMG_20200212_173421.thumb.jpg.3c244e5e993ac1e18d3d036a88f5a035.jpg

Just two random closer shots of the components. The huge CPU cooler is dominating the whole build.

IMG_20200212_173436.thumb.jpg.002273a62d38b880bb537a54a4149a84.jpg

IMG_20200212_173458.thumb.jpg.04936d92863c9a0add3790846f17a185.jpg

Speaking of the CPU cooler. This covers are way overpriced but I like the look.

IMG_20200212_174730.thumb.jpg.d82aed768a9f626b73ecbacbb847a38b.jpg

And for the last pictures, let's turn it on and look at some RGB. I assume with this amount of RGB at least 5 FPS more. ;)

IMG_20200212_174828.thumb.jpg.69e203e3329395c65844a1e8925d6bc7.jpg

IMG_20200212_174807.thumb.jpg.3ee589ae705f567c1b5dd860cbc623b9.jpg

IMG_20200212_174959.thumb.jpg.a58fcb1b8e1714a441988b3a10098fb3.jpg

For now the build is done but changes are planned. I assume in a few months the GTX 1070 will be replaced with a RTX 2080 super. Depending on upcomming experience with the workload also RAM might be doubled to 128 GB. SLI is currently not planned but who knows what will happen in the future.