Crazy frequent ping spikes when others using internet

Dizz_Man

Australia, yes we are on NBN, yes we are using the default router they gave us years ago, we are on the shittiest form on NBN called fixed wireless.

In perfect conditions, home alone, middle of the day, no wind, everyone at work in town, I will get our full speed which is a stonking 5 megabytes per second, so around 40 megabit.

When no one is home I get sweet 50ms ping in all games, no variation.

When my family is home (there are 4 of us) my ping may go to 70ms'ish

As soon as someone starts to watch Netflix or Disney+ (4k) I get massive and very frequent ping spikes of 400ms+ making any online game impossible to play or enjoy. Same goes for YouTube videos but like 1440p60 might be just like 150ping

I have no FHAKING clue what router/modem wtf is the difference to buy BECAUSE WE WANT THE HOME PHONE HOOKED UP TO THE STUPID THING and I have no clue what the plug is called, it just has a phone symbol and googling it only making things even more confusing.

Everyone has a phone. we have 2 PC's, 1 WiFi and 1 Ethernet, iPad, we all have laptops but I never use mine. ps4, xbox one, 360, switch, smart TV.

Note not everything is always on at the same time.

If I should buy a more powerful router/modem who cares which it is, what should it be? It NEEDS to be able to hook up to house phone and NBN box on wall.