Anyone know a good CPU, GPU, and possibly Network monitor program?

John55

There are tons of programs out there that do this. However, I am trying to find one that lets me put an overlay over specifically Modern Warfare. I need to be able to see my temps and ping to see why I am getting insane lag spikes. I tried using NXZT Cam but the overlay won't work on Modern Warfare. 

i use cam but on a second monitor, not sure about overlaying but you could go a stream deck and set it up with cpu, and gpu sensors. or if you have a second monitor hooking it up and opening cam on that

41 minutes ago, John55 said:

There are tons of programs out there that do this. However, I am trying to find one that lets me put an overlay over specifically Modern Warfare. I need to be able to see my temps and ping to see why I am getting insane lag spikes. I tried using NXZT Cam but the overlay won't work on Modern Warfare. 

The latest COD itself HAS those options in the options menu.

FPS, ping, Gputemp, and others... exist in game somewhere in options menu.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

The latest COD itself HAS those options in the options menu.

FPS, ping, Gputemp, and others... exist in game somewhere in options menu.

had only gpu temp and fps , nothing more

3 hours ago, John55 said:

Hmm, anything that creates an overlay outside the game comes with a performance penalty. To do this semi-properly would require dll injection and hooking to the render pipeline, which then triggers all the anti-cheat systems, so it's better NOT to.

If you believe the problem is network related, you actually want to run the network monitoring from a device that intercepts data from the PC/Console and your cable/dsl/fiber modem. However what you'll likely discover is that cloud services are responsible for random lag bursts, eg your mobile phone deciding to download software updates and pull down at maximum speed instead of limiting itself to certain times.

There's a lot of crap that runs on people's PC's that doesn't behave. Razer, nVidia, for example have you login to a cloud service for absolutely no reason. Steam, Epic and Origin will download updates in the background, regardless if you're using the PC or not. The only time Steam doesn't is if you're acutally playing something.

Then you have software like Chrome, Firefox, Slack, Discord, and such that not only check for updates every few hours, but also keep in sync with their own cloud services. 

People who do PC gaming, like serious, competitive level gaming, would seek other means of lowering network latency, which includes picking the ISP that has FTTH, or moving to a Condo that offers fiber, or moving to a city that's in the same zip code as the data center the game you play competitively on is. But this is all about shaving 20ms off RTT. You can also shave 20ms off RTT by killing every process on the PC that has network access so it's not doing any network activity except your game when the game is running. Simply streaming a game adds latency to a PC because there is a capture process and network overhead. 

So ideally, you run something that just logs the data during your game process while you capture the video OR capture a replay (eg the game engine replaying the data it logs) and then analyse where the lag spikes are from the frame rate drops or packet errors, or whatever. It's all stuff that's possible to do, but often not worth investigating unless you have access to someone at the ISP who knows what they're doing and can help. If you have a typical cable/dsl ISP, you probably won't get someone who cares enough to improve your latency. 

If you are on Cable or DSL, you can only improve your latency by switching to a package that does not use bonded channels, so for DOCSIS (Cable) that's a bandwidth plan that is 1 channel (about 35Mbps) or VDSL2 (50Mbps). However we're talking about 20ms (cable), 6ms (DSL) and 2ms (Fiber) to the same destination. It matters a lot more how far away you are from the server. Like one of the reasons I've never taken up my ISP's offer to switch to 50 or 100mbs plans is because I know those are channel bonded which means I'll go from 6ms to 20ms. When I initially moved here I really did discover the problem with cable because when I switched from ADSL to Cable, I was unable to get the low latency I had before, and when I switched back to DSL the latency went away. The ISP offers Fiber, just not to my address.