Headphones Upgrade Advice

nmsxsu

I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser 598SR and I'd like to upgrade to something slightly better, my budget is 200€ and I can only buy on amazon.it

1 minute ago, ShearMe said:

What do you not like about the 598, specifically?

Nothing, I think they are already absolutely perfect but they got chewed by my dog so..I just wanted to know if I could get something slightly better for that price right now

11 minutes ago, nemeshisu said:

Nothing, I think they are already absolutely perfect but they got chewed by my dog so..I just wanted to know if I could get something slightly better for that price right now

You're only going to get a side-grade with your budget; something different, not necessarily better or worse.

1 hour ago, ShearMe said:

You're only going to get a side-grade with your budget; something different, not necessarily better or worse.

Are the M50X from Audio Technica worth switching to? I tried open and closed back designs in the past and I like both for different reasons. Should I buy those or just order another pair of 598SR? What about the 599?

3 hours ago, nemeshisu said:

))

depends on what kind of sound you want. Sennheiser 598's are sorta neutral, slightly dark sounding headphones. they're very easy to listen to and don't fatigue your ears with lots of bass or sharp highs.

M50X (or the old standard M50 and M50S which are VERY close) are the other way around, marketed as a neutral monitoring headphone but are a little on the bass heavy side, and had pretty sharp highs that (to me at least) hurt after a little while.
they were also not particularly comfortable (compared to Sennheiser HD 5-whatever series and Shure SRH440/840) due to small earcups that almost made it an on-ear design for me and the earpads turned to stone after 2 months, though some claim this was resolved on the X series. 

If you enjoyed the Sennheiser type of sound but want closed headphones instead, go for the 598 CS (closed version) or the 569 which will sound almost the same but with some passive noise attenuation. If you want more bass, you're more than welcome to try the M50X but I'd suggest Shure SRH840 (or 440 with 840 pads, cheaper and sounds almost the same), Beyerdynamic DT770, maybe even the Sennheiser HD280 or 380 or the new replacement for both of them, HD 300 Pro. 

Open headphone again? you already know how the 598 sounds. 599 is supposedly a little better. then there's the 600 and 650 if your budget allows for it. other brands? Philips Fidelio X2 maybe? More bass = Beyerdynamic DT990 or 880. I'm just throwing suggestions at this point and have forgotten about the budget. 

in the end it's up to you, if you were satisfied with the 598's, just get another pair. they are good. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

5 hours ago, nemeshisu said:

Nothing, I think they are already absolutely perfect

How do you beat perfection? Just get the same ones.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, Lauen said:

depends on what kind of sound you want. Sennheiser 598's are sorta neutral, slightly dark sounding headphones. they're very easy to listen to and don't fatigue your ears with lots of bass or sharp highs.

M50X (or the old standard M50 and M50S which are VERY close) are the other way around, marketed as a neutral monitoring headphone but are a little on the bass heavy side, and had pretty sharp highs that (to me at least) hurt after a little while.
they were also not particularly comfortable (compared to Sennheiser HD 5-whatever series and Shure SRH440/840) due to small earcups that almost made it an on-ear design for me and the earpads turned to stone after 2 months, though some claim this was resolved on the X series. 

If you enjoyed the Sennheiser type of sound but want closed headphones instead, go for the 598 CS (closed version) or the 569 which will sound almost the same but with some passive noise attenuation. If you want more bass, you're more than welcome to try the M50X but I'd suggest Shure SRH840 (or 440 with 840 pads, cheaper and sounds almost the same), Beyerdynamic DT770, maybe even the Sennheiser HD280 or 380 or the new replacement for both of them, HD 300 Pro. 

Open headphone again? you already know how the 598 sounds. 599 is supposedly a little better. then there's the 600 and 650 if your budget allows for it. other brands? Philips Fidelio X2 maybe? More bass = Beyerdynamic DT990 or 880. I'm just throwing suggestions at this point and have forgotten about the budget. 

in the end it's up to you, if you were satisfied with the 598's, just get another pair. they are good. 

Wow thanks for the complete answer! I’ll either go for the 598SR again or the DT990 pro, but I have a question about the latter. I use a Behringer HA400 as an amp, will it be enough for the 990 pro? It worked perfectly with my Sennheisers.

9 hours ago, nemeshisu said:

Are the M50X from Audio Technica worth switching to? I tried open and closed back designs in the past and I like both for different reasons. Should I buy those or just order another pair of 598SR? What about the 599?

The m50x nope not at all downgrade if anything. The 599 is actually worth switching to slight upgrade in gaming but if you can afford the 599 I would go with a hd 58x instead from massdrop they are awesome headphones tuned very closely to the hd660 performs very simlarly in music and games.

20 minutes ago, nemeshisu said:

Wow thanks for the complete answer! I’ll either go for the 598SR again or the DT990 pro, but I have a question about the latter. I use a Behringer HA400 as an amp, will it be enough for the 990 pro? It worked perfectly with my Sennheisers

The 990 pro can somewhat be power hungry and would not reccomend anything lower than a 250ohm and if you like how the 598 sound you might not like how the 990 sound. Very sharp for a lot of people. If you just want a little more bass than the 598 the 58x is definitely the direction I would go for

20 minutes ago, nemeshisu said:

:D

As stated (by rice guru too) the DT990 has more bass and I forgot to mention the highs. going from the typical Sennheiser kind of sound to Beyerdynamics can be a big change. 

I'm not sure if your amp can push the headphones loud enough but I think they can. If you wanna be safe, you can just stick with the HD598's. I can't guarantee you'll enjoy the bass and brightness of the DT990s. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

49 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 990 pro can somewhat be power hungry and would not reccomend anything lower than a 250ohm and if you like how the 598 sound you might not like how the 990 sound. Very sharp for a lot of people. If you just want a little more bass than the 598 the 58x is definitely the direction I would go for

Unfortunately I can only buy on amazon.it because I have a gift card to spend, and they aren’t selling the 58x.

37 minutes ago, Lauen said:

As stated (by rice guru too) the DT990 has more bass and I forgot to mention the highs. going from the typical Sennheiser kind of sound to Beyerdynamics can be a big change. 

I'm not sure if your amp can push the headphones loud enough but I think they can. If you wanna be safe, you can just stick with the HD598's. I can't guarantee you'll enjoy the bass and brightness of the DT990s. 

At this point I’ll either buy the 598SR again or the 599 (Even though they are selling the 599 ONLY in a brownish accent that I absolutely dislike). I’m afraid I won’t like the sound of another brand, even because I already tried AKGs, Philips, and other brands like Sol Republic, and I didn’t like them completely. Like I mentioned the 598SR were super comfortable and they sounded amazing in every situation. I’ll just keep them away from my dog this time! Thanks for helping guys

14 minutes ago, nemeshisu said:

Unfortunately I can only buy on amazon.it because I have a gift card to spend, and they aren’t selling the 58x.

At this point I’ll either buy the 598SR again or the 599 (Even though they are selling the 599 ONLY in a brownish accent that I absolutely dislike). I’m afraid I won’t like the sound of another brand, even because I already tried AKGs, Philips, and other brands like Sol Republic, and I didn’t like them completely. Like I mentioned the 598SR were super comfortable and they sounded amazing in every situation. I’ll just keep them away from my dog this time! Thanks for helping guys

Aight man great if that's what your into. 

If the headphones you had are perfect, then I doubt any other will beat the perfection like the other guy said. So get the same headphone again and keep them safe from being chewed up by your doggo.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

If the headphones you had are perfect, then I doubt any other will beat the perfection like the other guy said. So get the same headphone again and keep them safe from being chewed up by your doggo.

Yeah I scolded him, and I moved my headphone stand farther away from the chair, I hope he won’t do that again ?