(MBR/GPT) 2TB instead of full 4TB (need help)

Midevil Chaos
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

Oh God...

Capture.PNG

Yea... That partition is on the wrong drive.

You hould be able o move that partition to the other drive, there are some guides, google them, but backup first. 

Then you can reformat the hdd.

I bought an SSD and an 4TB HDD (for gaming), and at the time, I did not realize that I could not format my HDD from an MBR to a GPT drive, as it won't allow me. At that point, I had a lot of stuff on it, and I didn't have a spare external drive to backup that specific drive as it was. The thing about the HDD, is that it only utilizes 2TB instead of the full 4TB, due to the MBR limitations. The issues, as you might have guess, is that the drive itself has a System Reserved hidden partition. According to Google, if I delete that, my drive won't boot. Assuming I can backup my data as is (after purchasing an external drive), what can I do to restore my missing 2TB so I can have a total of 4TB on my HDD drive? Just to be clear, the OS does NOT boot from the HDD, it boots from the SSD.

In case you need it, here is the build that I have (minus some of the peripherals) included in this link for pcpartpickers:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $220.75 @ Vuugo
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ Canada Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $103.44 @ Vuugo
Storage Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $104.75 @ Vuugo
Storage Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $219.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $262.13
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $131.50 @ Vuugo
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140 mm Fan $24.99 @ Corsair
Case Fan Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fan $23.99 @ Amazon Canada
Monitor AOC CQ27G1 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $332.99 @ Amazon Canada
Keyboard Corsair K57 RGB Bluetooth Wireless Gaming Keyboard $118.99 @ PC-Canada
Custom iVanky DisplayPort Cable 6.6ft DP Cable Nylon Braided [2K@165Hz, 2K@144Hz, 4K@60Hz] Display Port Cable High Speed DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable Compatible PC, Laptop, TV, Gaming Monitor - Grey $15.99 @ Amazon Canada
Custom Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse, Jelly Comb Wireless Mouse 2.4G High Precision Ergonomic Optical Mice (Black and Gold) $25.99 @ Amazon Canada
Custom Xbox One Play & Charge Kit $35.00
Custom Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 $35.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1805.49
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-09 17:34 EST-0500  

Screenshot of disk managemnet?

The system partition should be on the ssd, not the hdd, but if thats wrong you may need a reinstall.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Screenshot of disk managemnet?

The system partition should be on the ssd, not the hdd, but if thats wrong you may need a reinstall.

Oh God...

Capture.PNG

Oh God...

Capture.PNG

You hould be able o move that partition to the other drive, there are some guides, google them, but backup first. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

God, thank you lol XD

I will research that. Should I backup both drives, or only the HDD?

God, thank you lol XD

I will research that. Should I backup both drives, or only the HDD?

Id do both, whenever you mess with partition, there is a good chance of losing lots of data.

Id do both, whenever you mess with partition, there is a good chance of losing lots of data.

Ok. Thanks.

There might be a program or two out there that can extend that partition to include that unallocated bit.  I've done it before, but it's been a while.  I also can't remember if I had anything on the drive at the time, but I don't remember there being anything destructive to the process.  

Edit:

I think MiniTool can do it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

There might be a program or two out there that can extend that partition to include that unallocated bit.  I've done it before, but it's been a while.  I also can't remember if I had anything on the drive at the time, but I don't remember there being anything destructive to the process.  

Really? I have one software to mess around with the partition and all, but I don't recall it being able to do that, since it is using an MBR table, and not a GPT table. I mean, I know I can definitely do that once I get the reserve files on the SSD

Windows can also change a drive from MBR to GPT without destroying anything.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

The other issue is that hdd is the boot disk now and windows doesn't support legacy boot from gpt disks.

What do you mean exactly? Not sure I follow.

What do you mean exactly? Not sure I follow.

your hdd is currently your boot disk

You are setup to boot in legacy mode(instead of uefi, which is what should be used now for all modern pcs)

You need mbr for legacy, and gpt for uefi.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your hdd is currently your boot disk

You are setup to boot in legacy mode(instead of uefi, which is what should be used now for all modern pcs)

You need mbr for legacy, and gpt for uefi.

Oh ok. But, I should be able to modify the boot to uefi through mobo though, right?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The other issue is that hdd is the boot disk now and windows doesn't support legacy boot from gpt disks.

That's just a switch in BIOS though.  

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

That's just a switch in BIOS though.  

So... I should be fine by booting up the bios screen and modding it to uefi then?

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

So... I should be fine by booting up the bios screen and modding it to uefi then?

I guess that depends on when you do it.  If you're gonna do the MBR to GPT then you'd do it after that.  

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

I guess that depends on when you do it.  If you're gonna do the MBR to GPT then you'd do it after that.  

Yup. That's plan, converting first and then modifying it to uefi through the mobo bios. Won't do it right now, so hungry right now lol.  But, I will most likely look later after supper.

When I used the MBR to GPT command it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  Hopefully, that's helpful info.  

When you installed windows you should have only had the SSD isntalled, nothing else.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

When you installed windows you should have only had the SSD isntalled, nothing else.

How dumb is the Windows installer where having multiple drives installed confuses it.

Is there any downside (other than being inconvenient) to having the partition on the wrong drive?  

Just now, nick name said:

How dumb is the Windows installer where having multiple drives installed confuses it.

Is there any downside (other than being inconvenient) to having the partition on the wrong drive?  

Very dumb.

And the main issue is that you can't boot windows if the other drive is unplugged.

Other issues include worse performance, longer update times, and sometimes failed windows updates.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 hours ago, nick name said:

When I used the MBR to GPT command it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  Hopefully, that's helpful info.  

Well... I would maybe need to re-install the OS? This System Reserved drive (with files NOT hidden) has nothing inside after I labeled it as drive H. Like, what the hell (I was following the instructions on the website below)...
https://www.diskpart.com/articles/move-system-reserved-partition-4348.html

This site says there should be XD That's not good...