Noob Setting up home networking.

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
2 minutes ago, TheLegend29 said:

image.png.defb3cfc8eb7cb192b3179466c3bd46e.png

It only has a 100Mbps port, regardless of what they advertise it as you will NEVER get more than 100Mbps on that.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why not a high speed wifi 6?

You mean with the handful of devices out there? Lack of a finalized spec? or the still distance limitation before speed drops off?

Hi guys,

I recently created a NAS and connected it to my network.

One of my computer are connected to network via Tp-Link adapter for internet over power rated for 500Mb/s.

But only on that pc i am getting 100Mb/s performance.

I tried switching cables and everything but i cant get it to work faster.

I am noob in networking so any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just noticed that my network card on pc is working on 100Mb/s same speed as my router port.Is there a way to hard lock it on 1Gb/s mode.(both support that mode).

Edited by TheLegend29

There are a ton of Powerline adapters that say things like "500Mbps" or "600Mbps" and the only have 100Mbps interfaces meaning you can never get more than that. What model exactly?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

So you're using a Powerline adapter. If you can verify that nothing else is at fault then your only options are to try plugging them into different outlets or buy different Powerline adapters.

Honestly though if you can't get the performance you're after with those I'd find an entirely different solution all-together. Powerline adapters are not designed with high speed file transfers in mind.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you're using a Powerline adapter. If you can verify that nothing else is at fault then your only options are to try plugging them into different outlets or buy different Powerline adapters.

Honestly though if you can't get the performance you're after with those I'd find an entirely different solution all-together. Powerline adapters are not designed with high speed file transfers in mind.

It is them or a 100m of cable bc i live in old house. I will try moving them in different sockets but i don't think it will help.

3 minutes ago, TheLegend29 said:

It is them or a 100m of cable bc i live in old house. I will try moving them in different sockets but i don't think it will help.

Is this the model you have?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010/#specifications

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, TheLegend29 said:

Both. Powerline is sucks. Can't rely on that. Just get a long lan cable. 100m is very long, even with lan.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Both. Powerline is sucks. Can't rely on that. Just get a long lan cable. 100m is very long, even with lan.

I would but my parents aren't fun of that idea,

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, TheLegend29 said:

It only has a 100Mbps port, regardless of what they advertise it as you will NEVER get more than 100Mbps on that.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

You mean with the handful of devices out there? Lack of a finalized spec? or the still distance limitation before speed drops off?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Really thick floor.And i don't have any idea how much that costs in my country

14 minutes ago, TheLegend29 said:

Have you considered running a cable external to the home?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

How the f they can say for 600Mb/s and only have 100Mb/s conection.

So u know any who has better connections.

Just now, TheLegend29 said:

How the f they can say for 600Mb/s and only have 100Mb/s conection.

So u know any who has better connections.

Because "marketing" :D

It's a bunch of bullcrap but unfortunately they are somehow allowed to get away with it. There are powerline adapters that have gigabit ports on them, you still might not hit hear gigabit but if you're getting 100Mbps now, I would say you might stand a chance to get above that with a better kit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Have you considered running a cable external to the home?

I would if i live alon but with my parents i was trying to find cheapest solution for speeds around 200Mb/s-300Mb/s.

Just now, Lurick said:

Because "marketing" :D

It's a bunch of bullcrap but unfortunately they are somehow allowed to get away with it. There are powerline adapters that have gigabit ports on them, you still might not hit hear gigabit but if you're getting 100Mbps now, I would say you might stand a chance to get above that with a better kit.

I would really be happy with 300Mb/s bc i am moving to that internet plan in 2 months.

Next time i will read the fine print.

1 minute ago, TheLegend29 said:

I would really be happy with 300Mb/s bc i am moving to that internet plan in 2 months.

Next time i will read the fine print.

Yah, the AV1200 kit (TL-PA8010P KIT) has gigabit ports so I would look at that next

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: