Does my laptop support M.2 NVME?

Pulungrp1

Hi everyone, please help me out. 
I have an old laptop that I want to upgrade the SSD. The model is ROG GL552VX Intel i7 gen 6th. I want to use 500gb SSD for it. The question is:
- Does my laptop support M.2 PCIE NVME if I update the BIOS?
- Or I should keep using M.2 SATA? 
- Can you suggest what good SSD for my laptop?
Thank you 

gl552.jpg

As per the specs:

- 1TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
- 2TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 128GB SSD (M.2 2280)
- 256GB SSD (M.2 2280)
PCIE x 4 128G / 256G

PCIe is required for NVMe to function. So answer is yes. 

You can use drives larger than 256GB just as an FYI. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Specs page for the laptop shows PCIE x4 128/256 as an option, so I would think so.  I'd be surprised if ASUS capped the storage at 256 though via BIOS limits.  You can probably stick a 1TB drive in there without issue.

Thanks for your reply, is 256 is the maximum number? How about 500gb?

15 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Specs page for the laptop shows PCIE x4 128/256 as an option, so I would think so.  I'd be surprised if ASUS capped the storage at 256 though via BIOS limits.  You can probably stick a 1TB drive in there without issue.

17 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

As per the specs:

- 1TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
- 2TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 128GB SSD (M.2 2280)
- 256GB SSD (M.2 2280)
PCIE x 4 128G / 256G

So can I use one of these? 

- Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SATA 500GB 

- SSD Adata SX8200 Pro M2. NVMe - 512Gb XPG PCIe Gen3x4 

23 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

As per the specs:

- 1TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
- 2TB HDD 5400 RPM
- 128GB SSD (M.2 2280)
- 256GB SSD (M.2 2280)
PCIE x 4 128G / 256G

Unless they saved a few cents on not implementing sockets on models that don't ship with the very hardware.

I am not sure if the slot supports sata. As long as it is a NVMe drive drive with PCIe it will work. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

2 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

I am not sure if the slot supports sata. As long as it is a NVMe drive drive with PCIe it will work. 

But at the back of the laptop says "m.2 2280 sata only" this really makes me confuse

images_09-02-20_13-16-34.jpeg

If it says sata SSD only, then it will only take SATA ssd.

5 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

If it says sata SSD only, then it will only take SATA ssd.

Some people said people can use the NVME in their laptop. They said at first the SSD not detected in bios and then detected after some try to  put it back 

1 minute ago, Pulungrp1 said:

Some people some people can use the NVME in their laptop. They said at first the SSD not detected in bios and then detected after some try to  put it back 

The laptop says on the back SATA only. So, he can only use Sata SSDs. 

@OP just as a side 2280 refers to the length of the drive. Most M.2 SSDs are 2280s

1 minute ago, Lord Xeb said:

The laptop says on the back SATA only. So, he can only use Sata SSDs. 

@OP just as a side 2280 refers to the length of the drive. Most M.2 SSDs are 2280s

So it does not support PCIE NVME?  but the website said it support it. ?

If you open the machine and remove the SSD, it will say on the plastic below if it supports sata or PCIe. That will confirm.  Was that picture a stock photo or one you took? If it says on the website it takes PCIE nvme then grab one. If it doesn't work, then it requires sata. 

It was a stock photo. So wich one is the best? 

2 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

If you open the machine and remove the SSD, it will say on the plastic below if it supports sata or PCIe. That will confirm.  Was that picture a stock photo or one you took? If it says on the website it takes PCIE nvme then grab one. If it doesn't work, then it requires sata. 

Well first you need to confirm. remove the backplate of your system, remove the m.2 SSD and see what it says under it. 

Based on the website, you will need to get an NVME ssd, which are only PCIe drives. 

Just now, Lord Xeb said:

Well first you need to confirm. remove the backplate of your system, remove the m.2 SSD and see what it says under it. 

Based on the website, you will need to get an NVME ssd, which are only PCIe drives. 

My laptop doesn't have a ssd yet, so it is really slow right now

Maybe I should try the NVME, can you give me some suggestions? 

Just now, Pulungrp1 said:

My laptop doesn't have a ssd yet, so it is really slow right now

I will take a guess it will be NVME. So give one of those a shot. 
- SSD Adata SX8200 Pro M2. NVMe - 512Gb XPG PCIe Gen3x4 

Quite persistent.... Imho the nvme will fail, it clearly says sata-ssd only on the back. And you may use bigger than 256gb or 500gb. 

56 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Quite persistent.... Imho the nvme will fail, it clearly says sata-ssd only on the back. And you may use bigger than 256gb or 500gb. 

Thanks, I am indeed stubborn?. Well I hope NVME will succeed 

If it's m.2 sata ssd on the back, then the spec sheet may reference every variant of the model and you might have cost-reduced motherboard that doesn't support nvme.

16 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

If it's m.2 sata ssd on the back, then the spec sheet may reference every variant of the model and you might have cost-reduced motherboard that doesn't support nvme.

I see.... So I just unlucky ?. Can I ask which one my laptop support at Asus Service Center? 

1 hour ago, Pulungrp1 said:

I see.... So I just unlucky ?. Can I ask which one my laptop support at Asus Service Center? 

If they have any type of lookup system they should be able to verify the parts manifest of the laptop based on the serial or some other unique identifier (like Dell's service tag, for example).  Other than that, the actual OEM's support would likely have data we don't.