Currently using wifi for gaming, need ideas on how to get wired

Hey fellow Linus fans!

I have a situation that I'm trying to find a solution to, here it is!

I play PC games in a bedroom across the house from our modem/router. I am currently playing off of WiFi, but for streaming and non-casual gaming, WiFi just doesn't cut it. The deal is that I'm not able to move the modem into my room to allow myself wired internet.

In my room there is a Coax cable and I've heard that there's a way to convert it to ethernet and plug into my PC. With all the googling and searching I've done so far, I haven't found a solution that is clear as day to my eyes.

I hope I don't sound too misinformed out here on the inter webs, but I'm here seeking an efficient solution! Thank you for reading and helping out! Cheers!

Also, I cannot run an Ethernet cable across the house. 

What you're thinking of is called MoCA. They make Ethernet adapters for these. I can't vouch for the performance of them though.

Have you considered running a cable external to the home? They make outdoor rated Ethernet cable.

what wifi are you running. it might help if you upgraded your wireless. i can get almost gigabit with wifi ac and i have never had problems streaming from all over my house with good wireless n or ac. there is even a newer ax wifi.

you  could also use powerline ethernet.

The technology you're talking about is mostly the same as "PowerLine" type adapters...using existing home wiring to connect two adapters which substitute for a run of a normal 8 wire ethernet cable.  When someone talks about powerline adapters they're usually specifically referring to electrical wiring adapters (plug the adapters into a wall outlet, plug the ethernet cable to the adapter, etc.  The quality of the adapters vary, and the quality of the line connection will vary based on your home wiring quality and any interference that the run of wire experiences.  Personally, I'm not a fan.  Too many potentials for extraneous signals, interference, and in some cases power surges with garbage kit.  You're welcome to try though.  Coax ethernet's under the MoCA category.

Usual best search term is HomePlug, which is one of the standards.  It's been public domain since 2016 and mostly abandoned (personal opinion, because the option sucks).

Is your actual problem speed or latency?  Decent newer-standard wireless usually doesn't impact gaming that much.

Both power line and I think the term used was MoCA are going to be base2 ethernet systems. Slower than regular ethernet.  Still possibly quick though.  The coax cable may be better shielded and contain less branches than the house wiring, but only may.  A lot of it depends on what KIND of coax it is (there are several) and where it goes and if it goes through any junctions.  If it’s cat6 and was home run wired things may be possible.  If it’s cat3 and there are a bunch of splitters between it and the router (if it even connects at all and doesn’t just go up to a roof antenna) it’s going to be dead useless.  As for the house wiring it contains the same kinds of problems.  Both are sort of a die roll.  It depends a lot on how they were installed which in turn to some degree depends on when they were installed and by whom.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Yager said:

Coax

Moca adapters are what your talking about. The bonded adapters are rated for 800Mbps. But they are half duplex like WiFi. And these adapters are kinda expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

MoCA or Powerline if you want to leverage coax or wall socket connectivity.

What router and NIC do you have?  I game on wireless 24/7 and it's super playable if you can slice out your own band of airspace, although 5Ghz is kind of a must.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C