WIFI ISSUE

Tydfil

Hi

im having an issue with my laptop. the wifi periodically and randomly disconnects. i have clicked the connect automatically button and reconnected it many many times but the setting does not hold for longer than a few days. the laptop is about 2 years old and win 10 up-to date. is there somthing im missing or is it a deeper issue? its been going on for several months. 

Cheers

Tyd ~

Serious data shortage here:

-don’t know what the laptop is using for an adaptor.

-don’t know what the receiver in the laptop is trying to connect to

-don’t know what the environment the connection is happening in.

wifi is short range low power radio that uses a series of nested backwards compatible standards.  There are two (or sometimes more) trancievers.  The originating one at the “internet end” and the one inside the laptop. Sometimes there are intermediate “repeaters” which may even form a “mesh” for connection while moving or to extend effective range.  Condition, age, systems used, and radio signal quality all play a part.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

its a 2 year old hp in a home environment, router about 10ft away. nothing special or overly complicated. simple home set up

Well that’s half of one of 3.   Short range means it could be hardware on either connection end or other competing wifi from neighbors.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

its the only laptop that has the issue, anyother laptop that has been in this house in the past or that is brought here connects no issue and stays(ed) connected intil it was manually disconnected.

i dont know what you are angling to get, but im not super super techy techy when it comes to laptops, i dont know whats exactly on that pcb other than what the system tells me and im not opening the damn thing up there is no need to do that. its not a router issue as nothing else has this problem, the channels have no traffic except mine on them, just this 1 laptop. so to that extent its most likely a software setting in win 10 somewhere thats the issue.

So connection to the router has been tested with other machines and there is no problem and there is no other competing traffic in the area. 
That leaves the laptop WiFi receiver as the only factor.  
Only Two things left then.

1. Some setting as you described.

2. The actual WiFi receiver is aging.

-Solutions if (1) is the issue: dig through settings try different things.

-solution if (2) is the issue see if the WiFi is on a separate card (sometimes it is) and if so replace it.