What are these?

Nick8713

I am trying to remove the IO panel off of my PowerMac G4 and I am having trouble removing these. Does anyone know what these are and how to remove them?

4BFD7476-F284-4A04-ADC1-A0205C106622.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Nick8713 said:

I am trying to remove the IO panel off of my PowerMac G4 and I am having trouble removing these. Does anyone know what these are and how to remove them?

I think they are called Rivets, I have no experience with removing them but I'm sure there's plenty of ways you can find if you google it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

The best way to remove them is to drill out the head from the side that isn't showing in the photo. Usually, a 1/8" drill bit will do the job. If the rivet body spins while drilling the head of the rivet, you can hold the other side of the rivet with a pair of pliers to keep it from spinning.

If you can't get to the other side for drilling, you might be able to cut off the end you can get to with flush cutting diagonal pliers (often called dikes or wire cutters), then punchout what's left.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Nick8713 said:

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rivets

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Those directions are for large peened solid rivets, not the smaller, hollow, blind rivets that computer manufacturers use.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!