Monitor goes black for a second every so often at 144hz

Jacknovozinsky

Hey everyone, my buddy is having a little trouble with his new PC build. Whenever he starts playing a game at 144hz, his primary 144hz monitor will occasionaly go black for 1 or 2 seconds then pop back on. He can still hear sound and everything, and his secondary, 60hz monitor does not flicker off. We have tried the following:

Upping the fan speed on his graphics card to keep it cooler.

Re seating and re plugging in the graphics card and power cord

Changing the cable (We have tried 2 different HDMI and Displayport cables each)

Used DDU to uninstall and re install graphics drivers

Tried running at 120hz, no luck

Plugged the PC and monitor into different wall sockets

Tried different HDMI ports on graphics card

My current thought is that it must be something wrong with the monitor's power settings itself, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any solutions? Any and all recommendations are appreciated! Thank you!

His monitor is the AOC C24G1. His graphics card is an XFX RX 580

13 minutes ago, Jacknovozinsky said:

AOC C24G1

Dumb question, well, several actually,

(1) Can you turn the refresh down even lower? Go down to 60 if possible, see if it's still occuring

(2) Have you looked in the event viewer to see if the video card driver has crashed and recovered?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Dumb question, well, several actually,

(1) Can you turn the refresh down even lower? Go down to 60 if possible, see if it's still occuring

(2) Have you looked in the event viewer to see if the video card driver has crashed and recovered?

It seemed like it was working fine at 60, but we switched to 144 afterwards pretty quickly so it could have been a fluke honestly.

I honestly don't know how to read event viewer so i havent tried that but thats definitely a great place to start! I appreciate the suggestion

We actually used DDU again and just let windows install the drivers for us instead of going to AMD's website and so far so good. been about 15 mins without a flicker!

Just now, Jacknovozinsky said:

windows install the drivers

Ok, this is a good start. Leave the drivers on the ones windows installed, and see how the monitor behaves for the day. If no issues, then it's solved, if still issues, report back and we'll keep looking :)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, this is a good start. Leave the drivers on the ones windows installed, and see how the monitor behaves for the day. If no issues, then it's solved, if still issues, report back and we'll keep looking :)

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

53 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unfortunately, after about 20 minutes, it flickered again. looks like that was a one time thing. I think it's either got to do with the surge protector hes using (because it is very old) or the electrical wiring in his apartment. That or the power delivery in the monitor itself is broken

I think it is unlikely to be a power issue, since the monitor would need to reboot after a power loss.

It sounds like a loss of sync and recovery in the video signal. If it occurs on both DP and HDMI then it's probably not a cable issue. My guess would be a GPU side issue, probably drivers or some other software related thing. Since you've already tried reinstalling, try installing an older driver version. Also check if enabling/disabling FreeSync helps.

1 hour ago, Spakes said:

On 120 Hz it is fine, too?

It does not work any better at 120 hz, no

33 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I think it is unlikely to be a power issue, since the monitor would need to reboot after a power loss.

It sounds like a loss of sync and recovery in the video signal. If it occurs on both DP and HDMI then it's probably not a cable issue. My guess would be a GPU side issue, probably drivers or some other software related thing. Since you've already tried reinstalling, try installing an older driver version. Also check if enabling/disabling FreeSync helps.

We haven't tried disabling freesync. I'll give that a go next. The previous owner of the GPU said he didnt have any flickering issues, but of course he could be lying lol

2 hours ago, Jacknovozinsky said:

We haven't tried disabling freesync. I'll give that a go next. The previous owner of the GPU said he didnt have any flickering issues, but of course he could be lying lol

And if you can, go down 60hz, start there, see if it behaves.

Asa to the power thing, the whole system should reboot if there is a loss of power, not just the monitor (unless it's on a separate circuit) 

• 7 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old post, but I am having the same issue and found a temporary solution and it could benefit you or anyone with this problem.

My primary monitor is Hp 25mx 144hz, my secondary monitor is BenQ RL2755 60hz.

I couldn’t find the real problem but found that if I decrease my 144hz monitor to 60hz and confirm the changes then change it back to 144hz, the problem disappears, but comes back when I awaken my pc after sleep, then, I have to do the process all over again.

I don’t know the reason why, my sister has the exact same specs and she has no problem at all.

• 4 months later...

I had the same issue this is what I ended up doing   https://youtu.be/Dazgsi99RGQ