How to flash US firmware on a device with EU firmware?

Is it possible to flash US firmware on the Tp-Link Archer A6 v2 (EU)? The hardware is the same, but the EU device is totally abadoned now. The latest EU firmware was released in 2018 but the latest US firmware was released in 2019-12-16. 

These are in the US firmware but not in the EU firmware (because no updates):

- One Mesh 

- WPA3

Alexa

- UPNP Lookback

31 minutes ago, RESTECPA said:

Is it possible to flash US firmware on the Tp-Link Archer A6 v2 (EU)? The hardware is the same, but the EU device is totally abadoned now. The latest EU firmware was released in 2018 but the latest US firmware was released in 2019-12-16. 

These are in the US firmware but not in the EU firmware (because no updates):

- One Mesh 

- WPA3

Alexa

- UPNP Lookback

Nope and I wouldn't even try it. The EU & US have slightly different bands that they use for WiFi in order to comply with radio interference laws which are different in each country. You will either end up with a brick or a device which is operating outside of spec.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So we can say... if i need the recent firmware i need to buy the US version of the router or a totally new different router. Amazing job Tp-link.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

he EU & US have slightly different bands that they use for WiFi in order to comply with radio interference laws which are different in each country.

2.4 Ghz wise all the bands used by the US are used by the rest of the world, the big diffrence is we dont use anything above channel 11, while other countries might do so. 5Ghz wise, im not sure, because weath and other radar techs use 5ghz, here in the US they are refered as DFS channels. Not sure if they use that in the EU. 

4 hours ago, RESTECPA said:

if i need the recent firmware i need to buy the US version of the router or a totally new different router. Amazing job Tp-link.

I wouldnt run a NA router in the EU, that could get you in to trouble. Because with 5Ghz we might use some channels that the EU doesnt. And regulator agencies dont play nice with people knowingly or unknowingly breaking the law. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If the normal firmware update fails then update the new firmware with telnet

5 minutes ago, AZ Hobo said:

If the normal firmware update fails then update the new firmware with telnet

The issue is the EU version is on a diffrent firmware revision than the NA version. As in the EU version might be out of date. You cant use NA firmware on a router that was for the EU. 

1 minute ago, AZ Hobo said:

It could be illegal. Keep in mind regulations vary country to country. Epsically when it comes to transmit power and such. Could open your ass up to a fine or prsion time. 

13 minutes ago, AZ Hobo said:

Maybe this would be helpful

blocked.jpg.32007e0ea98d6f77aa9f3db80031bd4f.jpg

It's blocked and i can't enable the telnet in the router's settings, because there is no option for this

2 minutes ago, RESTECPA said:

blocked.jpg.32007e0ea98d6f77aa9f3db80031bd4f.jpg

It's blocked and i can't enable the telnet in the router's settings, because there is no option for this

Check that the firewall is not blocking the connection

It isn't blocked. Looks like you just can't telnet the Archer A6 v2

On 2/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, RESTECPA said:

It isn't blocked. Looks like you just can't telnet the Archer A6 v2

Open the router and look for solder points or pins that say VCC, GND, RX, TX. You connect the TTL cable to the these pins

(picture is just an example)

1.jpg.5ae927cb6a04d0feed8ead2b4d95ee0a.jpg

Configure your favorite terminal with the following settings: 115200 baud, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.

Tp-link Telnet Commands are something like that

Login: admin
Password:

> help
?

help
logout
exit
quit
reboot
adsl
xdslctl
xtm
brctl
cat
loglevel
logdest
virtualserver
ddns
dnsproxy
syslog
echo
ifconfig
ping
ps
pwd
sntp
tftp
wlctl
arp
defaultgateway
dhcpserver
dns
lan
lanhosts
passwd
ppp
restoredefault
route
save
swversion
uptime
cfgupdate
swupdate
exitOnIdle
wan
mcpctl
utility

Apart from the legal issues, this is a bad idea also as the firmware may be completely incompatible:

There's A6v2(EU), which has the same firmware layout as the C6v2. This one is likely identical to the C6v2(EU). There's also A6v2(US) which has 16MB of flash and has a different partition layout.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7