how much internet data can go thru a 2.0 usb cable extendor

KylorLee

so i decidied im gonna buy a bunch of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH11PEY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 with the idea of using my phone as an anntenna until real 5g antennas come out how much data will go thru these cause when i get my phone high enough i get over 50 mpbs my town can reach 60 so if i can reach high enough i could possible get 60 mbps data speeds would all of it be pushed thru a bunch of USB 2.0 cable exendors?

cool that means this plan of mine wont fail what i have in mind is since theres no offical 5g antennas out yet im gonna stick my phone onto a pole similar to a flagpole i can raise and lower into the air to catch those strong 5g signals and can lower it when the weather gets bad also ill have my wifi adapter next to the phone for maximum capture of the wifi data the phone will emit cause ill have two cables one to keep the one charged and another for data itll be a temporary solution until real 5g antennas are released

Just now, huilun02 said:

Just hooking up the phone directly to a PC will charge it, on top of the data transfer. You are better off using a single, long, low guage USB cable for the least possible electrical resistance. Instead of daisy chaining shorter extensions.

unfortunately that is not allways the case cause sometimes even when its plugged into the computer it still drains battery

Just now, huilun02 said:

Just hooking up the phone directly to a PC will charge it, on top of the data transfer. You are better off using a single, long, low guage USB cable for the least possible electrical resistance. Instead of daisy chaining shorter extensions.

also do you know where i could find something like that?

2 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

unfortunately that is not allways the case cause sometimes even when its plugged into the computer it still drains battery

Because a USB 2.0 port is limited to 500 mA (if it follows the specs), which means a maximum if 2.5 watts (@5V). Some larger phones require more than that to charge, especially if the screen is turned on or the CPU is working hard.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Because a USB 2.0 port is limited to 500 mA (if it follows the specs), which means a maximum if 2.5 watts (@5V). Some larger phones require more than that to charge, especially if the screen is turned on or the CPU is working hard.

so its not how much data is being pushed thru the phone thats making it drain even while in the pcs usb port?

4 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

so its not how much data is being pushed thru the phone thats making it drain even while in the pcs usb port?

The amount of data as such isn't relevant, but more data means a higher load on the CPU, chipset and its radio, which obviously increases the power draw of these components. The biggest power draw is usually the screen so turning that off (or brightness down) should help a little. But if the CPU is close to 100% at max bandwidth and the CPU needs more than 2.5 watt in that case then yeah, it's going to drain.

Just now, NZgamer said:

that's probably not a good idea...

why not?

The amount of data as such isn't relevant, but more data means a higher load on the CPU, chipset and its radio, which obviously increases the power draw of these components. The biggest power draw is usually the screen so turning that off (or brightness down) should help a little. But if the CPU is close to 100% at max bandwidth and the CPU needs more than 2.5 watt in that case then yeah, it's going to drain.

what if i plug it into a usb 3.0 port and make it where the screen turns off instead of staying on while it charges?

3 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

what if i plug it into a usb 3.0 port and make it where the screen turns off instead of staying on while it charges?

USB 3.0 is limited to 900 mA so you should be able to get 4.5 watt out of it. You could try one of those split USB cables that some older external HDDs used to draw power from two ports at once.

It'll be pretty bad for your phone's battery in the long run, expect it to die pretty quickly. Phones aren't exactly made for long periods of high CPU load either (cooling) so it'll probably throttle a lot as well.

USB 3.0 is limited to 900 mA so you should be able to get 4.5 watt out of it. You could try one of those split USB cables that some older external HDDs used to draw power from two ports at once.

It'll be pretty bad for your phone's battery in the long run, expect it to die pretty quickly. Phones aren't exactly made for long periods of high CPU load either (cooling) so it'll probably throttle a lot as well.

can i buy one of those on amazon?

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

honestly i actually really want a 5g modum not a 5g phone

3 minutes ago, KylorLee said:

honestly i actually really want a 5g modum not a 5g phone

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/vodafone/148664-vodafone-5g-gigacube-price-plans

Something like that, yeah. But that's about the only one I can find and it doesn't look like you can buy that without a contract from that particular ISP.

4 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

because putting a phone on a flag pole for 5g is pretty stupid.... mobile data usually costs more then an unlimited fibre connection (depending if fibre is avaliable in your area). Also, that phone on a flagpole is gonna get some abuse up there

well i do recieve pretty good signal to my trailer im about to move into i guess i could wait until 5g antennas are made or a 5g modum i can use instead of a phone

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/ivoler-USB-Cable-Pack-USB/dp/B07375RHX1/

Type C + USB3 + fast charging + 10ft

that wont be nessecarry i thought you where gonna show me like a a cable in between 30 and 40 feet long no thanks i allready purchased on 9 foot long cable extendor off amazon for 5$