So... What was it like building your first computer?

Pickles von Brine
5 hours ago, kokakolia said:

That's not even the full story. It goes deeper. Last year, I was living with her in Alberta. I paid for most of the expenses, and I was running out of money. I worked in the oil patch and there was a huge downturn at the time. So I was desperately praying for my boss to give me call and put me to work. When I was vacationing to my parents' house in Paris, I decided not to go back to Canada since I realized that there is a huge demand for construction jobs in Paris (due to the "Grand Paris" public transit system overhaul and the Olympics). So I left all my belongings to my ex behind: car, 49 inch Samsung series 7 TV, sound bar, vinyl collection, stereo system, computer, kitchen appliances, EVERYTHING. 

Now I feel good having a five digit bank account (woohoo), a stable job and my Ex found "Paul" shortly after. He's better than me in every way. And best of all, I don't live in Alberta anymore. 

Damn...that took some serious thought to do. I give you kudos my guy.

41 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Damn...that took some serious thought to do. I give you kudos my guy.

TBH I didn’t think about it at all. I really didn’t want to spend the rest of my life in Alberta and I was regularly insulted and treated like trash at work (which was considered perfectly normal in my assistant position).

my first computer i still daily, its a decade old optiplex 780, origonal specs compared to what i have added are
origonal specs:
2gb ram
pentium e5300
a hard drive on the brink of deth
no video card
and it came with dust
current specs
16gb ram
core 2 quad q9650
3 hard drives that are ehhh doing fine
and a gtx 1650

its a reliable machine thats for sure

Pretty easy. I was a bit nervous to break anything but it was fine. I watched a couple of how to build a pc vids earlier and kinda knew how to build a pc before hand. But I still queued one up anyway while I was building. 

I was build with a mobo that needed a bios update to support the cpu and it had a bios flash back button. I named the file a wrong way and it didn't do what it was supposed to so I freaked out but I figured it out and built it in basically no time.

It was awesome and will remember it forever as it was a father / son moment. ( It has been a little emotional for me on this current build. ) We didn't have any money to buy new parts so everything was trial and error. It taught me to appreciate quality software and coding. I can remember questioning why anyone would go from UNIX to MSdos later Windows.  

For me computers have never been nothing more than a filing cabinet and never had the mystic other people seem to have with them. Listening to my father complain about these supposed super smart people that have an almost fantasy view of computers. Like some how a computer is going to be more intelligent than a human. One thing he use to always say, "I'm going to make a small sticker that says "ANY", and stick them on peoples A key. Because I will tell them to hit "Any key" and they go silent. Only to reply "I can't find it"  LOL

I was a laptop kid until 2016 where my parents let me ball out on a pretty decent computer as a gift. My friends on the internet told me that building a computer was like putting Legos together but I had more trouble than I expected. My dad brought in his IT friend from work to help us put it together, and it ended up being a pretty decent machine. I still use the same case today, four years later, although I'm upgrading it as soon as possible as the case is so incredibly broken now. Here are the specs of my original, first build. Pretty solid, even for today's standards.

My first experience was slowly upgrading a hand-me-down pc from my dad. His work gave it to him for some vr applications, but it was bare bones. The original specs were

- Core i5-6402p,

- Gigabyte rx480 4gb,

- 8gb ddr4 2400,

- 1tb hdd.

- unknown psu

- Coolermaster masterbox 5

Once i got a job i replaced one part at a time until i had replaced everything except the psu and case, then pulled everything out of the case, leaving the psu behind and put it all in my new case with a new psu. now my specs are

- Ryzen 7 2700x,

- Msi ventus xs oc 1660ti,

- T-Force Vulcan Z 16 gb ddr4 3000 (oc'd to 3200)

- samsung 860 evo 500gb

- seagate barracuda 750gb ,

- corsair cxm 650 watt,

- Lian-Li 011 dynamic razer edition.

The most nerve wracking part was when i had to swap parts to my new case. but now its all up and running perfectly, including a few oc's for my cpu, gpu, and ram.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:10 PM, BrygonSan said:

Ahh yes this is what I was afraid of when I was first putting together my PC but thankfully I was able to use PCPARTPICKER to help me with compatibility issue. It lets you know if the parts you have on your list are compatible with each other. Sounds like I'm sponsoring them lol.  

I was using pcpartpicker, too.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986957-trying-to-build-a-pc-myself-for-the-first-time-with-this-ancient-case/

I've nearly killed some random dude with a screwdriver

PS2 Fat(JP) : PS2 S Silver(EU) : PS3 Super Slim : Nintendo Switch
Wii(x2) : SNES CE : Xbox One : Xbox 360 S(EU) : PS Vita 2000

My first PC built from scratch was about 20yrs ago, but I'd been tinkering and upgrading other systems for a good 8yrs before that. I remember upgrading the memory in an old 386 system from 1mb to 2mb, adding a sound card and having to use custom disks to boot the system for each game. 

I can't remember the exact specs of my 1st fully built one. But it was an AMD build, I think a Duron CPU that was soon replaced with a T-Bird CPU... I was upgrading my system every few months... more ram, new gpu, larger HDD's and other peripherals.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, ObsidianAura said:

Remember when the CPU die was exposed and you had to leaver on a big old heatsink with enough force to get the clip over the bracket but not so much force that you crushed the chip die, all while trying not to smoosh the paste around too much?

i killed a AMD Duron and a Intel Celeron this way :( I was not happy as at the time I worked in crappy retail and barely had any money!

On 2/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, lordoftime79 said:

i killed a AMD Duron and a Intel Celeron this way :( I was not happy as at the time I worked in crappy retail and barely had any money!

Oh man that sucks! My condolences! 

On the other hand, Durons and Celerons deserve to be crushed :P

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

42 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Oh man that sucks! My condolences! 

On the other hand, Durons and Celerons deserve to be crushed :P

yea they were horrid chips - I especially didnt like the duron... they used to run so hot!