Free Cable or Internet from major rental corps

mcdsux

Hello I want to know if the free interrnet you get from the major rental corps like Boardwalk are worth it or is it slow as fuck when everyones on it whether streaming or web browsing or online games.

I would choose free internet over cable because i would buy an android box and watch youtube all the time.

The cheapest internet otherwise is $40 from the usuals. Telus/Shaw/Rogers/Comwave im sure there are two or three more minor playas.

Could be worth it, depending on the speed they offer and how much they charge you extra for it.

Also, where do you live anyway? There's cheaper options than $40 in Canada, especially from the resellers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I highly doubt the rental agent knows anything at all. Calling the isp about rental address and speeds may work.

Its just a carrot to get on a yearly lease. I am in Alberta. Who are the minor players and resellers?

Teksavvy is $25/m

Montreal-dsl

Caneris

Aebc

Slamhang

Yak

Then 295.ca says $3

Telus says $10 but im guessing its mobile not home internet

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/calgary-alberta

Sorry about the formatting

Cell phones and webpages never mix

Nucleus is $19 for 5 down 1 up. And $28 for 15 d and 1.5 up

Theyve been atound for 20yrs but what kinda down speeds do i need for youtube and android box?

Im confused.

Your title talks about free internet but then the comments are talking about monthly fees.

1 hour ago, mcdsux said:

but what kinda down speeds do i need for youtube and android box?

If you limit yourself to 1080p 15 down is plenty.

If you want 4k streaming... 25 down or higher.

If you play online games, get one with at 5+ up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1080p is all i do.

Games are non graphic intensive like basic games.

I dont know if i want a year lease just for free internet when it can cost $25/m

Theres gotta be someone renting from the big rental corps that got free internet on 1yr+ ball n chain lease

You are on the right path, its better to not get locked into a 1 year contract for free internet or cable.

The problem might be that signing a 6 month contract would cost more on a monthly basis. Hopefully others can chime in on that but maybe they havent moved out yet.

Its crazy how much they are charging for a 1 bedroom apartment, roughly $1050 seems to be the average but at least they are giving you free heat and water because some apartments you have to get heat hooked up on your own contract with the utility company, which can be another hurdle because maybe they want a deposit or a credit check. In the winter months that can easily add $200/m extra even if its an apartment and not a townhouse or a duplex which would be $300+/month. Buying a condo can have its benefits, as some include all utilities in the condo fee, so it might be worth it to setup a crypto-currency farm or a hydroponic setup for legal personal use. Those same condo's can be rented too! I have seen private owners rent them, but also the builder/management company rent out condos.

They won't be any slower than if you're using the same company and paying for it...it's not like they're bundling you all in on one line.

I think it's internet 25 or something, so not slow for basic use by any means. You can upgrade for not much more. Really, though, Shaw will give you a good deal if you give them a call, they're really aiming for more penetration, especially if you're in the Edmonton region. Have you tried negotiating rent with Boardwalk?

I just signed a new lease with a buddy, we got $250/month off the rent. We currently pay $55/mo for Shaw 600.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:22 PM, RonnieOP said:

Im confused.

Your title talks about free internet but then the comments are talking about monthly fees.

Comparisons to how much he'd be saving.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:12 PM, mcdsux said:

1080p is all i do.

Games are non graphic intensive like basic games.

I dont know if i want a year lease just for free internet when it can cost $25/m

Theres gotta be someone renting from the big rental corps that got free internet on 1yr+ ball n chain lease

Do you move around that much? A one year lease isn't really a big ask.

6 hours ago, greenmax said:

You are on the right path, its better to not get locked into a 1 year contract for free internet or cable.

The problem might be that signing a 6 month contract would cost more on a monthly basis. Hopefully others can chime in on that but maybe they havent moved out yet.

Its crazy how much they are charging for a 1 bedroom apartment, roughly $1050 seems to be the average but at least they are giving you free heat and water because some apartments you have to get heat hooked up on your own contract with the utility company, which can be another hurdle because maybe they want a deposit or a credit check. In the winter months that can easily add $200/m extra even if its an apartment and not a townhouse or a duplex which would be $300+/month. Buying a condo can have its benefits, as some include all utilities in the condo fee, so it might be worth it to setup a crypto-currency farm or a hydroponic setup for legal personal use. Those same condo's can be rented too! I have seen private owners rent them, but also the builder/management company rent out condos.

Right, you often miss out on the incentives like a lower monthly payment, which are usually pretty substantial.

$1,050 seems pretty good compared to what I paid in Vancouver ?

On 2/7/2020 at 6:16 PM, TetraSky said:

Could be worth it, depending on the speed they offer and how much they charge you extra for it.

Also, where do you live anyway? There's cheaper options than $40 in Canada, especially from the resellers.

I don't think you'll really find many cheaper places, at least not at a decent speed. I'm looking into it for a second line and it's about $50/month for anything good.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I'm looking into it for a second line and it's about $50/month for anything good.

I mean, it depends where you're located and the speed you consider "anything good".

Just to cite one ISP here in Montreal. (Fizz)

They have speeds of 10Mbps for 30$. That's good enough for 1080p streaming on youtube and gaming.

Or triple that, 30Mbps, for 40$ with the same company... Both with unlimited data.

And I'm sure that's not even the best deal out there either. (Taxes not included in the prices I've mentioned. They also have a referral system where you can paid when referring friends and "exp" that nets you "reward" as you "level up".... Such as more mobile data if you have that with them or a $1 rebate per level)

51 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I mean, it depends where you're located and the speed you consider "anything good".

Just to cite one ISP here in Montreal. (Fizz)

They have speeds of 10Mbps for 30$. That's good enough for 1080p streaming on youtube and gaming.

Or triple that, 30Mbps, for 40$ with the same company... Both with unlimited data.

And I'm sure that's not even the best deal out there either. (Taxes not included in the prices I've mentioned. They also have a referral system where you can paid when referring friends and "exp" that nets you "reward" as you "level up".... Such as more mobile data if you have that with them or a $1 rebate per level)

Right but they're not in Alberta.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Alberta.

True North Indeed!

Vancouver is a gong show, I'd hate to see what the rental rates are like there. However there is becoming a micro-apartment trend, apt's of like 300sqft. There was a news story about micro's in the Wastings and Pain (Ground Zero) area of Vancouver of micro apt's and its really just a crash pad, not a place to live in or hang out in all day. On the flip-side, ownership, the problem with condo's that small is thats a niche market and banks aren't so friendly to mortgage those, which means throw out the good RBC rates of 3.08% which they just reduced I read in the paper today.

A good subsitute might be to rent from a home owner and grab a basement or master bedroom which comes with ensuite bathroom. Then hopefully they would have cable TV and internet to enjoy and maybe even a Netflix account. Basements are not good, you hear foot steps from above, or people dropping stuff, especially if they have children then you have to hope they dont own any dogs. Cats dont make noise, doubt you'll hear it through the trusses.

Roam the apartment buildings you are looking at buying and ask the people coming and going what they like and dislike, its a great way to get a feel for the buildings management and how the building was built. Concrete floors is ideal. Then you can grab a top floor and just Netflix and chill ;)

3 hours ago, greenmax said:

True North Indeed!

Vancouver is a gong show, I'd hate to see what the rental rates are like there. However there is becoming a micro-apartment trend, apt's of like 300sqft. There was a news story about micro's in the Wastings and Pain (Ground Zero) area of Vancouver of micro apt's and its really just a crash pad, not a place to live in or hang out in all day. On the flip-side, ownership, the problem with condo's that small is thats a niche market and banks aren't so friendly to mortgage those, which means throw out the good RBC rates of 3.08% which they just reduced I read in the paper today.

A good subsitute might be to rent from a home owner and grab a basement or master bedroom which comes with ensuite bathroom. Then hopefully they would have cable TV and internet to enjoy and maybe even a Netflix account. Basements are not good, you hear foot steps from above, or people dropping stuff, especially if they have children then you have to hope they dont own any dogs. Cats dont make noise, doubt you'll hear it through the trusses.

Roam the apartment buildings you are looking at buying and ask the people coming and going what they like and dislike, its a great way to get a feel for the buildings management and how the building was built. Concrete floors is ideal. Then you can grab a top floor and just Netflix and chill ;)

I was paying just shy of $3,500 for a 2 bedroom apartment. To be fair though, life in Vancouver is completely different than what you might be used to where you live. Really, when I eventually move back, I'll likely be looking for a small apartment like the one you described; life in Vancouver is rarely spent at home. There's so much to do, why would you spend time cooped up inside? Banks don't really mind the size because real estate in Vancouver will hold it's value, it's a much smarter investment than real state elsewhere.

Personally I'd rather rent an apartment than a room, at least then you have a much greater sense of privacy.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler