Monitor is bleeding green

YoniV

As in the title, my monitor is bleeding green. It started yesterday from the edges of the screen, now it's all over the place - see photo.

Also, it seems I also have some screen burn - I can see ghost images when I switch between apps etc.

Unfortunately, I am 2 months past the warranty.

The problem is apparently unrelated to the computer, because it persists even if I disconnect the monitor from the computer. I just have a black screen saying there's no input, with a green tint.

When I turn off the screen, wait for a while and turn it back on, it starts ok, but after a few seconds the bleeding creeps in from the edges until it fills the entire screen. With time, it gets worse.

I tried playing with the monitor settings, I tried connecting the power cable to other sockets and use a different cable.

At this point, I think one can conclude it is unrelated to: power outlets, power cable, PC settings or connectors, display settings.

It seems the problem is the screen's hardware.

This is a LG 27UD58P-B monitor, bought in the end of 2018.

Any ideas of what might be the cause and if/how this can be fixed?

monitor.jpeg

Maybe internal wiring for power was cut or damaged? Are you able to open it up? You may be able to replace the wiring, but if the display itself is damaged, you may just be better off getting a new monitor.

No, I can't open it up.

There are some screws there, but they are somewhat hidden and you need to forcefully separate the back and front panels.

Much harder than e.g. a laptop.

It is clearly not meant to be opened by non-pro, and I'm definitely not one.

You could recycle. Depending on where you are, certain pawn shops will strip the monitor for parts, giving you the monetary value of each part. You can then earn credit for their shop or receive cash. Only certain shops do this. More often than not, they give the original value of parts in credit. Usually, these shops are family-owned and operated. If they give you cash, then there are monitors on Amazon(US) ranging from 100$ to 250$ that are good enough til you get a higher value one like ROG or Dell. The one I'm using now is 104$ made by HP. I plan on switching to an ROG with RGB lighting once this one dies.

• 2 weeks later...