Surround sound headphones for your guitar!

ShearMe

Hey guys, I'm not a musician myself, but thought this product idea was interesting. Whatchyall think aboot it?

Odd, but I think the vast, vast majority of people would prefer accuracy over binaural muck. Just my two cents.

This might work for lo-fi stuff, but for high fidelity recordings or work it'll be useless. Binaural stuff is usually less accurate and less true. to. source.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Odd, but I think the vast, vast majority of people would prefer accuracy over binaural muck. Just my two cents.

This might work for lo-fi stuff, but for high fidelity recordings or work it'll be useless. Binaural stuff is usually less accurate and less true. to. source.

It's not meant for listening to recordings. That functionality is there for playing along, but the binaural effects are for improving the experience of playing/practicing with headphones. 

Just now, ShearMe said:

It's not meant for listening to recordings. That functionality is there for playing along, but the binaural effects are for improving the experience of playing/practicing with headphones. 

Even with practicing it's use will be limited. It's hard to fix your own mistakes when the gear is making the mistakes, not you.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

13 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Even with practicing it's use will be limited. It's hard to fix your own mistakes when the gear is making the mistakes, not you.

So we're just assuming the gear is making mistakes instead of functioning well. Way to be a negative nancy.

Just now, ShearMe said:

So we're just assuming the gear is making mistakes instead of functioning well. Way to be a negative nancy.

Ehhhh binaural has it's uses, but I don't particularly like it. I'd like to give this stuff a try for sure though, if it works well then yes people should absolutely use it. Aslong as people enjoy what they're doing I don't have a problem with it :)

1 minute ago, ShearMe said:

Without even watching the video, yes. Binaural audio implementation through VSS sounds like ass, especially for music, not to mention that guitar signals are typically mono.

It's terrible for trying to produce music, and has no reason to use it over normal headphones that don't sound terrible.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Ehhhh binaural has it's uses, but I don't particularly like it. I'd like to give this stuff a try for sure though, if it works well then yes people should absolutely use it. Aslong as people enjoy what they're doing I don't have a problem with it :)

Binaural and VSS are not the same thing. Binaural can be very cool, and work really well while also maintaining a high level of fidelity, but VSS always sounds like ass, and in my experience only sounds like you should know where it's coming from. It's not at all comparable to an actual surround setup. Or even just play a tone through a single speaker and spin around and compare that to VSS.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Binaural and VSS are not the same thing. Binaural can be very cool, and work really well while also maintaining a high level of fidelity, but VSS always sounds like ass, and in my experience only sounds like you should know where it's coming from. It's not at all comparable to an actual surround setup. Or even just play a tone through a single speaker and spin around and compare that to VSS.

In the video they mention binaural processing, I just assumed VSS used similar calculations.

3 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Hey guys, I'm not a musician myself, but thought this product idea was interesting. Whatchyall think aboot it?

I think the idea itself is good, plugging headphones in dry from your effect board sounds horrendous due to the total lack of reverb or positioning.

It would be cool if they somehow incorporated this into an actual pedal that could split into two lines, one with the effect for monitoring and one dry line to go to your existing setup when you're not using it.

Would be a godsend to guitar players everywhere that live with roommates or in apartment buildings.

3 hours ago, Derkoli said:

This makes little to no sense to someone that has experience with instruments that output in 1/4 inch. 

Do you play guitar? Do you enjoy having to always mix into your computer to make hearing yourself practice remotely bearable with headphones? I sure don't.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

20 hours ago, Derkoli said:

You're assuming that the usual paradigm is accurate. But the non-binaural audio on headphones has inherent imaging artifacts that longtime headphone users just ignore. And so we enter this bizarro world where attempting to solve the problem is framed as superfluous and introducing inaccuracy rather than removing an artifact.

21 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

You're assuming that the usual paradigm is accurate. But the non-binaural audio on headphones has inherent imaging artifacts that longtime headphone users just ignore. And so we enter this bizarro world where attempting to solve the problem is framed as superfluous and introducing inaccuracy rather than removing an artifact.

To be honest, artifacts are mostly what I meant. It's just binaural audio can have so many issues if not done correctly.

This product is practice guitar “amp” first. That whole idea of virtual sound scape is something that guitar players usually do. Sitting straight in front of the real amp is not by any means the place anyone wants to be. It is normal that guitar players move around to find a sweet spot and this is exactly what this product tries to replicate and it does this thing well. 

During my university years I would be super excited to have this product, but right now I don’t have much use of it. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, Vitamanic said:

Do you play guitar? Do you enjoy having to always mix into your computer to make hearing yourself practice remotely bearable with headphones? I sure don't.

I'm certainly no pro, but just listening straight to the amp or directly through headphones from the amp typically sounds pretty good to me. Sure it's not all sexed up, but it doesn't sound all muffled and distant.

#Muricaparrotgang