Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leoplate25

Sometimes BIOS resets itself; what to do?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, i have a little issue: as the tittle says, my bios, sometimes, when i turn off the computer, resets itself (except for the profiles). I tried another battery (in fact 2) but it randomly happens. Can it be when i clean up the PC? Is it recommended to clean it with a normal brush or maybe is that the cause? I have an portable air compressor, like a suitcase, i think that's safe. What do you guys think? Can it be the PC case? It's an old TT Versa h34. Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is any component in your PC overclocked?


Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Link to post
Share on other sites

BIOS resetting is usually form a CMOS battery that isn't holding charge. Are you sure the batteries that you tried were new? Do you have a multimeter to actually test the voltage of the battery? Also I don't see how the case would affect the bios, so that most likely isn't the problem.

Edited by The_russian
Apparently I'm a dumbass and didn't fully understand how CMOS batteries work
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Is any component in your PC overclocked?

Hi, no, no. Just the XMP profile activated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leoplate25 said:

Hi, no, no. Just the XMP profile activated.

And there is the issue. The motherboard automagically clears your CMOS thus resetting the BIOS settings because it sometimes cannot post with the memory settings provided by the XMP profile.

 

Please post the full specs of your PC.


Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

BIOS resetting is usually form a CMOS battery that isn't holding charge. Are you sure the batteries that you tried were new? Do you have a multimeter to actually test the voltage of the battery? Theoretically there could be a problem with the motherboard that causes it to not recharge the CMOS battery properly, though I've never experienced that and don't know how common that is. Also I don't see how the case would affect the bios, so that most likely isn't the problem.

Hi. Yesterday, i replaced the CMOS battery with a SONY one. The expiration date of this battery is in 2027. I don't have a multimeter, i think my brother has one, imma ask him to borrow it for me. The times it happened to me were after i cleaned the components, can it be that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, rares495 said:

And there is the issue. The motherboard automagically clears your CMOS thus resetting the BIOS settings because it sometimes cannot post with the memory settings provided by the XMP profile.

 

Please post the full specs of your PC.

This is the thing: when i shutdown my PC at night and starts it up in the morning, it resets to its default, but the date and time are from the day before, why's that?
I have an i5-9600K, ASUS Hero XI WiFi, EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra, 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx Predator 2933MHz, Corsair H100i v2, BitFenix Whisper M 750w 80 Plus Gold, Micron 2000 NVMe 256gb, Samsung EVO 860 1tb sata, Thermaltake Versa H34, 3x TT Riing White LED fans, ASUS Cerberus (Mouse and keyboard), and a poor LG 23MP55 :( 
The thing is, before that, i had an 8 gig 2400MHz stick with no profiles activated at all and it happened to me too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

This is the thing: when i shutdown my PC at night and starts it up in the morning, it resets to its default, but the date and time are from the day before, why's that?
I have an i5-9600K, ASUS Hero XI WiFi, EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra, 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx Predator 2933MHz, Corsair H100i v2, BitFenix Whisper M 750w 80 Plus Gold, Micron 2000 NVMe 256gb, Samsung EVO 860 1tb sata, Thermaltake Versa H34, 3x TT Riing White LED fans, ASUS Cerberus (Mouse and keyboard), and a poor LG 23MP55 :( 
The thing is, before that, i had an 8 gig 2400MHz stick with no profiles activated at all and it happened to me too.

Ok, ok, I might be wrong then. Could it be that you somehow damaged the battery slot or the contact while cleaning?


Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Ok, ok, I might be wrong then. Could it be that you somehow damaged the battery slot or the contact?

I pressed the wrong option and marked it as solved, sorry. No, because it only happens sometimes, should i try not to clean the PC anymore with a brush and only use the air compressor? These things make me crazy, don't know what it is... The GPU is covering the CMOS battery, could the GPU has something to do with that? :/ 

EDIT: Could it be any cable in the back making any type of shortcircuit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The_russian said:

BIOS resetting is usually form a CMOS battery that isn't holding charge. Are you sure the batteries that you tried were new? Do you have a multimeter to actually test the voltage of the battery? Theoretically there could be a problem with the motherboard that causes it to not recharge the CMOS battery properly, though I've never experienced that and don't know how common that is. Also I don't see how the case would affect the bios, so that most likely isn't the problem.

CMOS batteries don't get recharged. 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

CMOS batteries don't get recharged. 

If it has something to do with a battery drain, i don't think so because the battery is brand new and the issue happened a month after that. Could it be something draining the batteris or shortcircuiting them, i don't know, i'm talking nonsense, sorry! I'm obfuscated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

If it has something to do with a battery drain, i don't think so because the battery is brand new and the issue happened a month after that. Could it be something draining the batteris or shortcircuiting them, i don't know, i'm talking nonsense, sorry! I'm obfuscated!

Does this happen even with the system plugged in? The CMOS battery doesn't power anything if the system is plugged in and getting power. 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

CMOS batteries don't get recharged. 

You're right, for some reason I thought they did, but after a quick search, they definitely don't. I edited out the incorrect part from my original post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Does this happen even with the system plugged in? The CMOS battery doesn't power anything if the system is plugged in and getting power. 

I have an UPS. I switch it off but i don't unplug it from the wall. Here's the electricity is very inconsistent. But it happens sometimes, not all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

I have an UPS. I switch it off but i don't unplug it from the wall. Here's the electricity is very inconsistent. But it happens sometimes, not all the time.

Can you give an approximation as to how often it occurs? 

 

If you switch off the UPS without plugging the PC from it, then it's not going to get power Is it possible for you to leave the UPS on to provide a consistent power source to the PC to see if the BIOS/UEFI resets? 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you give an approximation as to how often it occurs? 

 

If you switch off the UPS without plugging the PC from it, then it's not going to get power Is it possible for you to leave the UPS on to provide a consistent power source to the PC to see if the BIOS/UEFI resets? 

I can't give you an approximation because it happened to me 2 times in one week, and then for a month it didn't happen again. Sorry.

I can do that. I'm gonna try that for a month and see what happens. But not today, they said there's gonna be electric storms and in the past, one of this storms destroyed my core2duo. :/ 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

I can't give you an approximation because it happened to me 2 times in one week, and then for a month it didn't happen again. Sorry.

I can do that. I'm gonna try that for a month and see what happens. But not today, they said there's gonna be electric storms and in the past, one of this storms destroyed my core2duo. :/ 

Strange. 

No problem. 


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Strange. 

No problem. 

Could it be the mobo? CAn the PSU has something to do with that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

Could it be the mobo?

It probably is something to do with the board, perhaps even the memory itself being cleared due to defects within it. The problem might even lie within the PCB itself, and may be non-repairable for normal users.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It probably is something to do with the board, perhaps even the memory itself being cleared due to defects within it. The problem might even lie within the PCB itself, and may be non-repairable for normal users.

I tried two sets of ram with the same results. In fact, the other ram was without xmp. What should i do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

I tried two sets of ram with the same results. In fact, the other ram was without xmp. What should i do?

If it's still under warranty(I think it is?), you can try sending your board back to ASUS. Memory modules aren't the issue - the motherboard won't automatically apply XMP profiles. You have to define the use of such profiles, so when the BIOS/UEFI gets reset, it's using default profiles to ensure the system can POST.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If it's still under warranty(I think it is?), you can try sending your board back to ASUS. Memory modules aren't the issue - the motherboard won't automatically apply XMP profiles. You have to define the use of such profiles, so when the BIOS/UEFI gets reset, it's using default profiles to ensure the system can POST.

Here, in Argentina, RMA is a pain in the ass. Worst country ever. But i'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leoplate25 said:

Here, in Argentina, RMA is a pain in the ass. Worst country ever. But i'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks.

I apologize, but unfortunately, I don't think much more can be done. 

 

Can you ensure that there's no visible damage to the CMOS battery socket or anywhere around it? Is it possible to have a photo provided?


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I apologize, but unfortunately, I don't think much more can be done. 

 

Can you ensure that there's no visible damage to the CMOS battery socket or anywhere around it? Is it possible to have a photo provided?

Yes, i am going to take a picture and send it to you. Give a couple of minutes. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I apologize, but unfortunately, I don't think much more can be done. 

 

Can you ensure that there's no visible damage to the CMOS battery socket or anywhere around it? Is it possible to have a photo provided?

Sorry for the quality of the pics. The post screen is the same everytime it resets itself.

20200206_222812.jpg

20200206_222938.jpg

20200206_223008.jpg

20200206_223405.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×