Your not gonna believe this neither is corsair

G H O S T

Okay okay, after my previous post about the problems with corsair PSU mainly the AX serious I replaced all the cables with better grade and bigger gauge wires and having no issues for the last year, my PSU decided to shut off and red light again so though sod RMA going to do this my self guessing a bad cap or trace .

After inspecting the unit I came across a what looks like a fly causing a surge on the peripherals and sata power. 

For one I have  no idea how the hell that got in there as it's less then 1mm gap and two since when did a fly cause a PSU to trigger OCP 

I emailed corsair and they reckon it's from the factor when made so sending me out a new one 

But still there is a lesson to be learned here 

Flys want to game as well ???

20200205_224752.jpg

20200205_224740.jpg

Bugs pick the worst places to up and die

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, G H O S T said:

But still there is a lesson to be learned here 

Yes. The lesson is: Never open up a power supply. And if you do open them, make sure to touch the 240V parts in order to properly dispose of your stupidity.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Bugs pick the worst places to up and die

Pretty much ?‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, rares495 said:

Yes. The lesson is: Never open up a power supply. And if you do open them, make sure to touch the 240V parts in order to properly dispose of your stupidity.

Wow, woke up on the wrong side of the bed ?? 

9 minutes ago, rares495 said:

You have to open them up in order to repair them. If you're careful, you'll probably be fine.***

***Careful also means taking any necessary precautions to prevent injury or death when handling something like this.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You have to open them up in order to repair them. If you're careful, you'll probably be fine.***

***Careful also means taking any necessary precautions to prevent injury or death when handling something like this.

I've opened up a PSU before, and I'm fine, I think...

In any case yeah, basically this. I never handled the PCB or capacitors at all, just the cables and heatsinks.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 minutes ago, rares495 said:

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've opened up a PSU before, and I'm fine, I think...

In any case yeah, basically this. I never handled the PCB or capacitors at all, just the cables and heatsinks.

As somebody who works on iMac's... Not sure how i havent died, actually. Yeah, listen to these guys, not the one who handles bare power supply PCB's bare handed, as well as high voltage CRT components.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Don't worry I drained the caps off and checked before doing anything ?but problem fixed had to re solder the trace had abit of corrosion 

i just took apart an old "Revolt ibuypower 504" computer and found some tiny green firefly inside, obviously poor thing was dead already but the thing that gave me the creeps was this weird amber, yellowish round thing near the gpu like some decomposed candy or something, this computer has never been opened before and it has layers and moar layers of aluminium plates so i wonder how the !"#!#$@ that thing show up there, i bet it was some bug egg sac or something nasty.??

Oh for the ones that don't know that some people know what there doing when it comes to electricity ?yes its works now ?

Do you also know there is places that repair things as well. ??

23 minutes ago, SenKa said:

As somebody who works on iMac's... Not sure how i havent died, actually. Yeah, listen to these guys, not the one who handles bare power supply PCB's bare handed, as well as high voltage CRT components.

Ahh I had rubber pads,  can't really see in the photo to move it around 

2 hours ago, SenKa said:

I did some upgrades to my iMac, I didn't have the nerve to go anywhere near the PSU xD That thing's kinda spooky.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I did some upgrades to my iMac, I didn't have the nerve to go anywhere near the PSU xD That thing's kinda spooky.

The fact that Apple can get away with not shielding them baffles me. But, ive only been shocked twice and both times it was the same PSU and it didnt arc across my body, only across 2 fingers of the same hand, so I was fine. Hand just cramped like hell for ~5 minutes.

After that service i bumped my service prices for iMac's up from $40/hr to $50.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

3 minutes ago, SenKa said:

The fact that Apple can get away with not shielding them baffles me. But, ive only been shocked twice and both times it was the same PSU and it didnt arc across my body, only across 2 fingers of the same hand, so I was fine. Hand just cramped like hell for ~5 minutes.

After that service i bumped my service prices for iMac's up from $40/hr to $50.

I dislike working on iMacs. Luckily mine is only from 2010 so it's fairly easy to work on, but it's not fun.

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I dislike working on iMacs. Luckily mine is only from 2010 so it's fairly easy to work on, but it's not fun.

I might start a topic on this(might be better anyway), but how do you feel about right-to-repair? I personally fully support it. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I might start a topic on this(might be better anyway), but how do you feel about right-to-repair? I personally fully support it. 

I'm all for it.

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Oh those are fine (though still not fun), its the retinas with the glued down display that really suck. 2010 is when the glass was magnetic to the frame and the display was separate from it...

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah I am all for right to repair ! As living in the UK the cost to send the PSU back mise as well buy a new power pack. 

Plus it is a very scary thing as lot of people don't drain the power out and end up hurt or worse but now days with the internet and time you can learn to do so many things 

13 minutes ago, G H O S T said:

Yeah I am all for right to repair ! As living in the UK the cost to send the PSU back mise as well buy a new power pack. 

Plus it is a very scary thing as lot of people don't drain the power out and end up hurt or worse but now days with the internet and time you can learn to do so many things 

A YouTuber Louis Rossman(Linus had him on LTT before) is a huge supporter of right-to-repair and is speaking in different states about the bill. It's pretty great, and it looks like the states are actually listening.

Unfortunately, insects in power supplies is not uncommon.  I see a lot of failed units with dead, fried bugs inside.

They like the heat and they'll even feed on the PVC insulation of wires.  Of course, their bodies are conductive, so once they cross over hot traces, they're zapped and they usually take out the electronics with them.  :(

43 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

A YouTuber Louis Rossman(Linus had him on LTT before) is a huge supporter of right-to-repair and is speaking in different states about the bill. It's pretty great, and it looks like the states are actually listening.

Yeah I heard the USA have it even harder over there and is that the guy I saw in the news that stood up and asked why is apple taking the goods at docking bays and imports of things like glass screen replacements ? Which is not far on the average consumer not willing to pay ££€€$$$

40 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Unfortunately, insects in power supplies is not uncommon.  I see a lot of failed units with dead, fried bugs inside.

They like the heat and they'll even feed on the PVC insulation of wires.  Of course, their bodies are conductive, so once they cross over hot traces, they're zapped and they usually take out the electronics with them.  :(

The strange thing is shocked corsair was willing to accept the unit back and the second strange thing is there is no gaps where the case goes to the pcb but yeah I remember rightly that's were the term BUG come from if I am correct  ?