Network Choked

Agent Crimson

I recently deployed a 10 Camera NVR system at a friend's place and the moment I connect the Moment I connect the Nvr and the cameras to the main switch the network goes ham. Sometimes the network just refuses to work and when it does its slow as hell. Any suggestions what to do?. 

All Camera are 2 MP IP cameras (POE) 

Switch for Cameras and the main switch both are gigabit. 

The main internet coming from isp is 40down 8up.

It could be a broadcast storm or something similar to that. Make sure that protection for things like broadcast storms are enabled on the switches and router.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Husky said:

It could be a broadcast storm or something similar to that. Make sure that protection for things like broadcast storms are enabled on the switches and router.

Can't do that first both the switches are not managed switches second the router he is using is the modem router combo provided by ISP so it doesn't have protection against broadcast storm. Plus his house cameras you can say are monitored almost always over the net so if I somehow enabled protection against broadcast storm it would disable that port I. E basically cutting them of the net. Plus cameras spit data out continuously so you can and cannot say it's a broadcast storm because the packets are useful but I doubt that the gigabit links are the issue. 2Mp cameras can't saturate a gigabit link on 720p especially when they aren't maxed out. 

2 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

Can't do that first both the switches are not managed switches second the router he is using is the modem router combo provided by ISP so it doesn't have protection against broadcast storm. Plus his house cameras you can say are monitored almost always over the net so if I somehow enabled protection against broadcast storm it would disable that port I. E basically cutting them of the net. Plus cameras spit data out continuously so you can and cannot say it's a broadcast storm because the packets are useful but I doubt that the gigabit links are the issue. 2Mp cameras can't saturate a gigabit link on 720p especially when they aren't maxed out. 

Have you tried disconnecting all but one camera and see if the speed of the network improves? It's possible it's one rouge camera. You could also run WireShark and see if there an originating IP where everything is coming from or if it's just every IP going berserk.

17 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried disconnecting all but one camera and see if the speed of the network improves? It's possible it's one rouge camera. You could also run WireShark and see if there an originating IP where everything is coming from or if it's just every IP going berserk.

It does improve but not by a lot and all the cameras are just continuously pumping out data. What can I do? Do I need to somehow separate my cameras from my main network? Maybe assign a different series of Ips to camera so that they only talk to NVR and not my main network. But I think NVR take only one IP and don't work by taking different Ips for Cameras and different IP to connect to the net. If that makes sense

Will setting up vLans on his switch router combo help? As the switches are not smart I can just plug all of non camera equipment in one group and all the camera ones in another group. I can also add a bandwidth limit to the uplink the nvr gets. The only issue is I don't know if his switch router combo supports vLans

7 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

It does improve but not by a lot and all the cameras are just continuously pumping out data. What can I do? Do I need to somehow separate my cameras from my main network? Maybe assign a different series of Ips to camera so that they only talk to NVR and not my main network. But I think NVR take only one IP and don't work by taking different Ips for Cameras and different IP to connect to the net. If that makes sense

I would try using a different switch. Have you verified this switch is rated to supply enough power over the length of the wire to power each camera properly? Typically PoE doesn't go the full 100m usually closer to 50m or 75m. I'll have to re-lookup the spec.

2 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

Will setting up vLans on his switch router combo help? As the switches are not smart I can just plug all of non camera equipment in one group and all the camera ones in another group. I can also add a bandwidth limit to the uplink the nvr gets. The only issue is I don't know if his switch router combo supports vLans

When you want to virtually separate the traffic between a security network and a user network VLANs is the appropriate configuration to use. If the Switch is managed and the router supports sub-interfaces then yes you can do this.

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I would try using a different switch. Have you verified this switch is rated to supply enough power over the length of the wire to power each camera properly? Typically PoE doesn't go the full 100m usually closer to 50m or 75m. I'll have to re-lookup the spec.

When you want to virtually separate the traffic between a security network and a user network VLANs is the appropriate configuration to use. If the Switch is managed and the router supports sub-interfaces then yes you can do this.

Power is definitely not a problem because the same problem occurs if even I use a 1m cat 6 cable. Will VLans help in performance as I said before the switches for my main network and cameras are different so I just need to set my router to separate these networks. 

11 hours ago, Agent Crimson said:

Power is definitely not a problem because the same problem occurs if even I use a 1m cat 6 cable. Will VLans help in performance as I said before the switches for my main network and cameras are different so I just need to set my router to separate these networks. 

If it's something like a broadcast storm it would help prevent it from causing trouble for the adjacent VLANs. You could try isolating each camera in their own VLAN and see if only one does something particularly funky but beyond that the problem may be something else.

I wonder if it's any kind of IP address conflict. You mentioned an NVR. Does this have a model number? If it acts as a DHCP server it could very well be conflicting with the home Router.

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If it's something like a broadcast storm it would help prevent it from causing trouble for the adjacent VLANs. You could try isolating each camera in their own VLAN and see if only one does something particularly funky but beyond that the problem may be something else.

I wonder if it's any kind of IP address conflict. You mentioned an NVR. Does this have a model number? If it acts as a DHCP server it could very well be conflicting with the home Router.

I thought so and I was pretty certain that might be the case but yhe NVR and the cameras are all on static IPs NVR being on 192.168.0. 110 and cameras being 192.168.0. 111 and so on. 

The model number for the NVR is Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2. The NVR and Cameras are 4k but are being used at 720p for the moment. 

Also when I did the setup for the NVR and the cameras the moment the camera were connected my net would stop working like everything on the switch will refuse to connect to net but cameras and nvr would talk normally when I connected it to the isp provided switch router modem combo unit it even made the modem lose connection. And few restarts later it fixed it on its own. It's very weird I checked all the IPs no IP is conflicting and the router and all the devices are also on the same IP series so I am really confused what the hell is going on. Like even if I used my cameras at full res but rate and framerate with everything turned on then also it would be no where near to maxout a gigabit link. I just don't get that why is the camera traffic affecting my other devices. 

35 minutes ago, Agent Crimson said:

I just don't get that why is the camera traffic affecting my other devices. 

The only two things I know of that can cause this is a Broadcast Storm & when there is more than one DHCP server. I don't have enough experience with IP cameras to say it's an issue that can be fixed by changing a setting somewhere and unfortunately I've exhausted every troubleshooting idea I have.

Worse off I don't know anybody here with extensive knowledge of IP cameras to refer you to. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

The only two things I know of that can cause this is a Broadcast Storm & when there is more than one DHCP server. I don't have enough experience with IP cameras to say it's an issue that can be fixed by changing a setting somewhere and unfortunately I've exhausted every troubleshooting idea I have.

Worse off I don't know anybody here with extensive knowledge of IP cameras to refer you to. Sorry.

Thanks a lot anyway I will try doing vLans and hope to god it helps.