3 & 4 pin fan troubles and RGB controller confusion !

TeaRoomMosh

Hey !

i was planning a new build and the case I wanted had 3 pin fans included, but wanted to know if I can still adapt the fan speed or will it only run min/max on 3 pin as I’m assuming the 4th pin allows the speed management ?

also can I run different fans with different RGB controllers like Aura or icue in the same case ? 
I’m guessing I can but they may not match up in lighting effects and colours but will just have to have multiple apps to run them ? 

10 minutes ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

can I still adapt the fan speed or will it only run min/max on 3 pin as I’m assuming the 4th pin allows the speed management ?

a 3 pin and 4 pin can both regulate their speed so yes u can

11 minutes ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

also can I run different fans with different RGB controllers like Aura or icue in the same case ? 
I’m guessing I can but they may not match up in lighting effects and colours but will just have to have multiple apps to run them ? 

Yes u can use different fans/controllers.

U would have to have to have different apps though I think.

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

2 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

a 3 pin and 4 pin can both regulate their speed so yes u can

Yes u can use different fans/controllers.

U would have to have to have different apps though I think.

I was under the impression the difference with the 3 & 4 pin is that 4 pin would have a variable speed so it can ramp up and down where as 3 pin is fixed low/high with no in between ? 

4 pin is PWM, 3 pin is DC. Both can control RPM, PWM is just “more advanced”.

I wouldn’t run different RGB software. Those programs always hog more resources then they should, multiple (depending on which) can end up slowing down your system to an actual noticeable level as far as FPS in games goes. Which is shocking, but true. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-there-a-way-to-control-3-pin-fans.2905718/

The link above is a fantastic description and explanation of the differences in how fan speed is controlled on 3 pin fans vs 4 pin "Pulse Width Modulating" fans. 

As far as RGB lighting goes, you can absolutely have more than 1 brand of lighting and lighting controller in a case. In most situatuions, you cannot plug an NZXT AER RGB fan into a Corsair Controller (or so I have heard. I never tried). So for example, My NZXT H500i case has the built-in Hue controller, and I use the CAM software to control the case lighting. I could also plug NZXT brand fans into the hue controller, and control those fans from the CAM software as well.

My AiO liquid cooler is a Corsair, so I have to use the iCUE software to control that.

Finally, I have an ASUS motherboard, therefore my RAM and motherboard lighting is controlled by Aura Sync. That being said, iCUE and AURA now have a plugin that allows motherboard lighting that typically was controlled by aura, to now be visible and controllable in the iCUE software. The link on how to do this is below at the end of the reply.

one thing to be conscious of, is that for every lighting controller you have, you will need to use an internal USB header on the motherboard. so if you have more controllers than internal USB headers, you will need to buy an internal hub.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=192965

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Just now, TeaRoomMosh said:

I was under the impression the difference with the 3 & 4 pin is that 4 pin would have a variable speed so it can ramp up and down where as 3 pin is fixed low/high with no in between ? 

2 pin would be “locked”, although you can still control the speed with just power and ground. The third wire is RPM data so the mobo can know the RPM and change it. 4 pin PWM is just more advanced. You can google PWM and read up on it if your curious how it works. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

2 pin would be “locked”, although you can still control the speed with just power and ground. The third wire is RPM data so the mobo can know the RPM and change it. 4 pin PWM is just more advanced. You can google PWM and read up on it if your curious how it works. 

Ah I see so I can still manually adapt 3 pin fans to ramp up at certain temps ? Or is that the More advanced 4 pin Fans ? 

1 minute ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

Ah I see so I can still manually adapt 3 pin fans to ramp up at certain temps ? Or is that the More advanced 4 pin Fans ? 

yes u can still adjust the 3 pin fans 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

10 minutes ago, TeaRoomMosh said:

You can also plug a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin header without issue. 

On that note, while I did mention yes it is possible to have multiple different brands of fans and use multiple different control clients, Its not the most recommended thing in the world, as another user replied that it can cause system congestion, therefore resulting in potential fps loss in game (I havent experienced this, but Murphy's Law states anything that CAN happen, WILL happen). Aesthetically, I would try and stick to a brand as much as you can. It would be worth while to buy all the things you want the first time, rather than compromise and buy again later, like a handful of users, including myself, did and felt that remorse after. I personally really like NZXT, you could consider me a fanboy so to speak, so eventually all corsair stuff is going into my girlfriends rig and Ima get me the new Kraken Z series cooler, as well as some AER RGB fans for good ol. JARVIS.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

17 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

You can also plug a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin header without issue. 

On that note, while I did mention yes it is possible to have multiple different brands of fans and use multiple different control clients, Its not the most recommended thing in the world, as another user replied that it can cause system congestion, therefore resulting in potential fps loss in game (I havent experienced this, but Murphy's Law states anything that CAN happen, WILL happen). Aesthetically, I would try and stick to a brand as much as you can. It would be worth while to buy all the things you want the first time, rather than compromise and buy again later, like a handful of users, including myself, did and felt that remorse after. I personally really like NZXT, you could consider me a fanboy so to speak, so eventually all corsair stuff is going into my girlfriends rig and Ima get me the new Kraken Z series cooler, as well as some AER RGB fans for good ol. JARVIS.

Thank you, that’s great, yeah after realising I can adapt 3 pin fans speed I’ll stick to the one controller app of icue !

On 2/5/2020 at 12:26 AM, TeaRoomMosh said:

4pin fans are more accurate, have less quick ramping and have lower starting rpm. Most will also support 0rpm mode. Modern mobos allow controlling both.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv