A 120HZ DISPLAY FOR $200: The Pocophone X2 Launch

Results45

noooooooo

not the glass back

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

What CAT phone?

CAT, i think, is a construction company that also makes rugget phones. They are made with durability and features in mind(lasers, thermal cameras, physical buttons, shatter proof glass, air pollution measuring hardware, very bright flashlight etc.) not specs.

I think it might be the s60 or 61.

8 hours ago, kakik09 said:

The Poco brand is dead. They just rebranded the K30 and slapped the Poco name on it. It doesn't have the flagship SoC that made the F1 a sucess, and regardless of what you think of the 730G (and yes, it is a good performer), that's all what the Indian market will look for and care about. It's a spec war out there in the Asian market where AnTuTu scores mean more than day to day usability. They should've just names this the Mi 10T and saved the Poco name when they have something better to show for it.

TL;DR A Pocophone without a flagship SoC is pointless.

Perhaps a flagship SoC is pointless. Maybe the 730G is the sweet spot between price/battery/performance. Maybe having the best SoC is only necessary for advanced camera features which don't matter for gaming. 

But I'm getting tired of Xiaomi and Realme. They release a phone every week. And every week I see another "phone review" in my YouTube feed. Being a phone reviewer must be annoying these days.

"Here's another Xiaomi device. It's just like the one I reviewed last week but this one has different camera and a 730G SoC. Is anybody still watching?"

Caterpillar is a construction company based here in the U.S. They make everything from phones to mining equipment to military heavy machinery. They're a good company, never had an issue with them. As for the phone, its a CAT s61 unlocked, with a MediaTek P60 and 8 GB's of RAM. It's running SailfishOS, a Linux distribution based off of FirefoxOS. It's technically not supported by the Play Store, so I use the OnePlus if I need to bow down to the Google Overlords.

17 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Perhaps a flagship SoC is pointless. Maybe the 730G is the sweet spot between price/battery/performance. Maybe having the best SoC is only necessary for advanced camera features which don't matter for gaming. 

But I'm getting tired of Xiaomi and Realme. They release a phone every week. And every week I see another "phone review" in my YouTube feed. Being a phone reviewer must be annoying these days.

"Here's another Xiaomi device. It's just like the one I reviewed last week but this one has different camera and a 730G SoC. Is anybody still watching?"

Don't get me wrong, but I do agree that the SD 730 hits just the sweep spot between performance and battery life. Hence why I chose my Mi 9T over a Mi 9T Pro. I got sick of flagships SoCs getting hot in the hand when you actually utilize that horsepower. 

But what I'm pointing out is how Pocophone branded itself with the F1 successfully. They set out to create a phone that had top of the line performance, no frills, at a low cost. Granted, they hit the latter two. But in spite of the good enough performance of a SD 730G, there is a perceivable difference between it and an 855/855+. It's such a waste of previously good PR. The only saving grace is the 120 Hz LCD. But again, I'm not so sure that's enough to make it succeed in a market like India or here in the Philippines where benchmark scores and gaming performance are favored over daily performance. They'd say "What good is a 120 Hz screen if you can't use it in game?" meanwhile ignoring the obvious benefits of smoother UI animations. 

21 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Again I wasn't arguing that the photos aren't better on newer flagship phones I am just saying that for alot of people it is not worth the extra cost especially when cameras on entry level phones to midrange phones are decent enough for alot of people. I am not a professional photographer so the current quality of pictures you get with lower end phones is good enough for me. I get that OLED is supposed to have better blacks and color reproduction and use less energy but that doesn't really make ips suddenly crapy like people make it seem. Both those things don't matter much to me as well so I really could care less if it has oled or ips especially because oled does come with it's own set of drawbacks. 

That's the thing though, it's not so much that they are better, it's the amount of ease that goes along with it. Point, click, excellent photo.

Instead of having to tinker, or having the proper lighting. Eh, it does though. If you're referring to burn in with OLEDS, I've owned almost exclusively OLED panels for years and never had that issue, so I don't know what people are doing to get it. I'd imagine that simply comes town to abuse, or misuse of the product. Not the product itself.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's the thing though, it's not so much that they are better, it's the amount of ease that goes along with it. Point, click, excellent photo.

Instead of having to tinker, or having the proper lighting. Eh, it does though. If you're referring to burn in with OLEDS, I've owned almost exclusively OLED panels for years and never had that issue, so I don't know what people are doing to get it. I'd imagine that simply comes town to abuse, or misuse of the product. Not the product itself.

Do you use Google Maps often? Because I feel like that would induce burn-in over several years. 

@Brooksie359 I feel like people are expecting more features for the money. It’s like having an OLED panel is mandatory for $300 for some people. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, Results45 said:

• 6.67-inch 2400x1080 IPS 120hz display

nexus-one-huge-cjr.jpg

Will we see smartphones again one day? Or will everything be small tablets from now on?

(can someone remind me why we dreaded iPad minis, Padphones, and 7-inch android tablets so much?)

28 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

nexus-one-huge-cjr.jpg

Will we see smartphones again one day? Or will everything be small tablets from now on?

(can someone remind me why we dreaded iPad minis, Padphones, and 7-inch android tablets so much?)

considering current 6 inchers fit in the footprint of the OG Galaxy Note, there is no need to worry about size of the whole device. Still is a third the size of an iPad mini. And i don't thing people dreaded the 7" inch tablet format, it's simply became pointless when phones went beyond the 3.5 and 4", with the iPad mini being the only outlier because of iOS's tablet apps and it's evolution to iPadOS making it a better media consuption device than a 5 or 6 inch phone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

considering current 6 inchers fit in the footprint of the OG Galaxy Note, there is no need to worry about size of the whole device.

I, for one, consider current "flagship", and most other models really, to be horrendously large (and, simultaneously, horrendously remote-control-shaped).

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I, for one, consider current "flagship", and most other models really, to be horrendously large (and, simultaneously, horrendously remote-control-shaped).

too me, as someone who jumped on the phablet side with the release of the Galaxy Note 2, the only devices that has a bigger footprint than that phone was the Galaxy Mega and the huawei mate 20X.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, dizmo said:

I wouldn't get one based on the IPS display alone.

Interesting that you would nitpick something the vast majority of consumers give 0 cares about. In blind tests people can’t even reliably tell the difference between FHD and QHD. People just want displays that show relatively accurate colors and are bright. And you can’t honestly expect an OLED at this low price point. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Interesting that you would nitpick something the vast majority of consumers give 0 cares about. In blind tests people can’t even reliably tell the difference between FHD and QHD. People just want displays that show relatively accurate colors and are bright. And you can’t honestly expect an OLED at this low price point. 

Odd that, on a tech forum, where people are more into tech, you'd find that someone has a preference over something like that. And yes, I can. Kat certainly expect AMOLED at that price, since other companies offer it. Like the Realme X2, a phone it was made to compete against. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 2/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, EL02 said:

I'm starting to dislike xiaomi for what they're doing with the updates. My Android one phone still hasn't got the update...

It's the same with most brands though. You get it when you get it unfortunately... wish it was different, but my experiences with Xiaomi have been better than other brands in all honesty. Have had 2 or 3 major updates and a security update and/or ui update most months since I've had the poco.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

13 hours ago, dizmo said:

Again I haven't experienced that issue where it was to much fuss to take a decent picture. I prefer IPS because it means burn in isn't an issue period where as on oled you could very well get it and if you are getting a cheap oled panel then I would even think burn in might be more likely. I use to have a plasma screen tv and burn in was super annoying because you play any game with any sort of HUD and that was going to burn in if you played for long durations of time like I did when i was young. What you get for 300 dollars here is honestly all I would really want out of a phone. 

has a camera hole in the screen -> no thanks

-edit-

Also why no OLED? What? My 4 years old OnePlus X has that and it wasn't much more expensive than this in 2015.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

It's the same with most brands though. You get it when you get it unfortunately... wish it was different, but my experiences with Xiaomi have been better than other brands in all honesty. Have had 2 or 3 major updates and a security update and/or ui update most months since I've had the poco.

The main role of android one is getting update faster. Fortunately, i hopefully should be getting android 10 in two weeks.

47 minutes ago, EL02 said:

The main role of android one is getting update faster. Fortunately, i hopefully should be getting android 10 in two weeks.

Show me a proof of Google or Xiaomi stating that. Main purpose of Android One program is guaranteed 2 major updates and monthly security updates for 2 years.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

On 2/5/2020 at 7:30 PM, kakik09 said:

But what I'm pointing out is how Pocophone branded itself with the F1 successfully. They set out to create a phone that had top of the line performance, no frills, at a low cost. Granted, they hit the latter two. But in spite of the good enough performance of a SD 730G, there is a perceivable difference between it and an 855/855+. It's such a waste of previously good PR. The only saving grace is the 120 Hz LCD. 

I wonder if they could pull it off again with the F2......a phone with the SD865, 4500mAh+ battery, 120hz OLED screen, and 3.5mm jack for a low, low price of $350-$400???

Cuz with the F1, it looks like the worked off the Mi 8, but traded the OLED display, aluminum frame, and NFC for an IPS screen, larger battery and headphone jack in order lower the starting price from $425 to $350.

14 hours ago, Results45 said:

I wonder if they could pull it off again with the F2......a phone with the SD865, 4500mAh+ battery, 120hz OLED screen, and 3.5mm jack for a low, low price of $350-$400???

Cuz with the F1, it looks like the worked off the Mi 8, but traded the OLED display, aluminum frame, and NFC for a larger battery and headphone jack in order lower the starting price from $475 to $350.

I can do without OLED, because at reasonable (i.e. medium brightness) levels, IPS panels in general already have good enough blacks imo, especially if it keeps costs down. I think the next cost-cutting measures you can do next to cutting down the SoC would be the body. If the main principle of the original F1 was to substance over style, then that glass body and fancy patterns should be replaced by utilitarian plastic.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:35 AM, Results45 said:

Cuz with the F1, it looks like the worked off the Mi 8, but traded the OLED display, aluminum frame, and NFC for an IPS screen, larger battery and headphone jack in order lower the starting price from $425 to $350.

They'd probably do it, though it be more expensive than the original

✨FNIGE✨