i7-4790K + 1080ti at 1440p

denkorea
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

i used to have a 4.3 ghz 4770K with a GTX 1080...then i got this nicer 1080ti and the CPU wasn't enough...

At 1440p open world games like ghost recon wildlands, Far cry 5, any assassin's creed...even in Battlefield 5 on ultra the CPU was toped out and the 1080ti was at 85% to 95% usage and little stutters here and there.

Get the card, but plan a system upgrade... Ryzen 3600 is a nice upgrade and won't cost much.

29 minutes ago, denkorea said:

So I got 1.420V and 47 multiplier
Total is 4.7Ghz . Idle temp ~40C all cores

Is that good?

No, that voltage is WAY too high! You'll fry your CPU if you keep it there for too long. My 1.3V is pretty high, basically at the ceiling of what's considered safe for Haswell.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, that voltage is WAY too high! You'll fry your CPU if you keep it there for too long. My 1.3V is pretty high, basically at the ceiling of what's considered safe for Haswell.

ok thanks

19 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

1.300v VCORE and 47 multiplier for all cores? any other things to disable/enable/adjust?

I have problems with 4.6 and even 4.5 - windows gets freezed.
For some reason all I can get stable is 4.4 :(

19 minutes ago, denkorea said:

1.300v VCORE and 47 multiplier for all cores? any other things to disable/enable/adjust?

I have problems with 4.6 and even 4.5 - windows gets freezed.
For some reason all I can get stable is 4.4 :(

Yes. Also set the voltage to static instead of adaptive while you're testing. Increase or decrease the voltage by 0.005V at a time. It's a long process, but rewarding.

There's no guarantee that you'll actually get 4.7Ghz. Unless you just had really bad luck, getting 4.5GHz should be easy enough though. You need to do some research before you jump in though. There are plenty of guides specifically for overclocking the 4790k on YouTube.

Also, what cooler are you using? If it's the stock cooler that will definitely be a problem. It can't even prevent thermal throttling at stock speeds.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

23 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah. I increased the voltage to 1.3V (use trial and error with it) and the multiplier to 47.  And yes, that's correct.

Overclocking RAM doesn't really help for DDR3. It wasn't until DDR4 that it started to make a difference.

Err... untrue, Even on ol' ddr1, ddr2 oc did make sense somewhat. And on ddr3, Sandy Bridges have gains from higher clocked memory despite their restricted memory bus, let alone these apus from AMD. It doesn't make a rocket out of a Volkswagen T4, of course. It is however true that there's a sweet spot where any higher doesn't give you any more speed - but the same is true for DDR4 as well.

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

Err... untrue, Even on ol' ddr1, ddr2 oc did make sense somewhat. And on ddr3, Sandy Bridges have gains from higher clocked memory despite their restricted memory bus, let alone these apus from AMD. It doesn't make a rocket out of a Volkswagen T4, of course. It is however true that there's a sweet spot where any higher doesn't give you any more speed - but the same is true for DDR4 as well.

Would you like the provide some evidence? Because it definitely wasn't in my (or other people's) experience, and that's why it was so surprising when it started making a difference with Skylake processors.

26 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Would you like the provide some evidence? Because it definitely wasn't in my (or other people's) experience, and that's why it was so surprising when it started making a difference with Skylake processors.

You definitely have to speak for yourself, not for other people. Plenty of evidence for AMD apus, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge - not so much for Haswell (correction: I also found evidence for Haswell). Do I need to feed you?

And now you see me being puzzled: 

19 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes. Also set the voltage to static instead of adaptive while you're testing. Increase or decrease the voltage by 0.005V at a time. It's a long process, but rewarding.

There's no guarantee that you'll actually get 4.7Ghz. Unless you just had really bad luck, getting 4.5GHz should be easy enough though. You need to do some research before you jump in though. There are plenty of guides specifically for overclocking the 4790k on YouTube.

Also, what cooler are you using? If it's the stock cooler that will definitely be a problem. It can't even prevent thermal throttling at stock speeds.

oh man you are so right

I had like 100C under pressure with stock. 
Now changed to Zalman cooler - its about 60-70 now

ok thanks!

eventually I decided to leave my 1080ti

I tested both 1080ti and 980 ti - they the same FPS and stuttering in DayZ deathmatch game with like 30 people playing

So I believe this deathmatch mode is not optimized any way and anyway you ll get low fps which was confirmed by deathmatch mod creator

With 980ti I have 99 load while with 1080ti I have like 50

In almost every other game I see significant difference in performance in favor of 1080ti

1 hour ago, denkorea said:

oh man you are so right

I had like 100C under pressure with stock. 
Now changed to Zalman cooler - its about 60-70 now

ok thanks!

I should have mentioned I've got a massive air cooler. It's the Cryorig R1 Ultimate, although I don't think it's being sold in the US anymore.

If a CPU gets too hot, it will slow itself down to prevent damage, no matter what your multiplier is. It's called thermal throttling. I also delidded my CPU and used liquid metal.