Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kelvinhall05

Is it possible to "mask" my IP address and make it look like something else?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Not exactly sure how to word this question. Is it possible to make a connection to my server at home look like a connection to any old HTTP or HTTPS site, like YouTube for example, but it still connects normally to my home server? Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Strictly speaking a VPN would mask your IP address but I don't think it can do what you want sadly.... 

"If I don't seem to laugh very often, it will be because I sold my soul for good money." - Me 2019

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.4GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 16GB = 8 x 2GB OCZ Gold 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz Dimms - GTX 1080 HP OEM - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD 1 x 480GB Kingston A400 SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate 7200rpm Drive - EVGA 750W GQ Gold+ Rating - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = NVidia Surround @ 75Hz - Akasa Venom R20 240 RGB Cooler & 5 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Linux Lite 5.0 (LTS 20.04)

Portable Devices: 

Dell Precision M6700 17" Workstation Laptop - Dell Latitude E6330 13" Business Laptop - Huawei Honor 9 Phone - Nintendo Switch

Screenshots of games I play

Spoiler

I am an Audiophile, therefore I share the below info with you:

Headphone set up: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's - Little Dot Valve Pre-amp with upgraded shenanigans

Speaker Setup: 2 x Beovox 1001 speakers & Akai AM-M11 audio amp - Behringer XM8500 Microphone with UM-2 Pre-amp - Marshall Major 2 portable headphones

Homemade custom Audio: TurtleBeach Earforce X11 cans with QiGOM 260Ω 40mm drivers (Studio grade sounding now)

5 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

Why not have a remote connection to your pc at home, and via that pc do what you want?

That's sort of what I'm trying to do, is run all my network activity through my server so I can effectively bypass a firewall. Maybe there's a more efficient way to do it but currently I'm using Pritunl. Works fine on everything but my school network.

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's sort of what I'm trying to do, is run all my network activity through my server so I can effectively bypass a firewall. Maybe there's a more efficient way to do it but currently I'm using Pritunl. Works fine on everything but my school network.

School sucks. Why not have a hotspot on your phone and connect your laptop to it? Thats what we did most of the time. My country does have unlimited 4G+ plans that are only 40 euro's, not sure where you live.

7 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

School sucks. Why not have a hotspot on your phone and connect your laptop to it? Thats what we did most of the time. My country does have unlimited 4G+ plans that are only 40 euro's, not sure where you live.

No data, and it's stupid expensive in Canada.

SPECS:

i use arch btw

I'm not sure how Pritunl works but if you use OpenVPN you can set ip up so that it listens on a port that is usually unlocked (usually 443, 80 TCP, 53 UDP are unlocked). If the firewall does Deep Packet Inspection you have to get more clever.

You could also tunnel SSH over HTTPS but that can get way more complicated, usually (at least where I live) schools don't go that far.

1 hour ago, edofullo said:

I'm not sure how Pritunl works but if you use OpenVPN you can set ip up so that it listens on a port that is usually unlocked (usually 443, 80 TCP, 53 UDP are unlocked). If the firewall does Deep Packet Inspection you have to get more clever.

You could also tunnel SSH over HTTPS but that can get way more complicated, usually (at least where I live) schools don't go that far.

Alright, I'll give OpenVPN a shot.

SPECS:

i use arch btw

DDNS and port forwarding on the Internet or internal DNS + connectivity via VPN.  You can even get a free letsencrypt certificate to roll https, and you'd just use the name in your browser bar.  If you want a public internet name you'd have to register a domain, but if you have your own nameserver you can roll whatever name you want internally.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C