Thinking of getting a new laptop

My currently laptop has a 4th gen i7 and 16 Gigs of ram, it was a good machine and did well when I was in school. But the Ethernet port is broke, it doesnt boot properly any more, I think there might be an issue with the mainboard as it freezes to a black screen and I dont even think its posting properly anymore. Plus its too big. 

I was thinking 12 to 14 inch screen. 16 Gigs of Ram. At least 256 Gigs of SSD storage. Screen wise I was thinking IPS because TN pannels make my eyes bleed. So far I have been considering a Macbook Pro 13". Hoping they might update it with the new Keyboard. OH and one last thing, If I do the PC route the Laptop hardware has to be Linux compatible. I dont intend on touching Windows 10 ever again. EVER........... Probably will be running Ubuntu. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just get a dell XPS or something.

<Link removed>

-------------------------

Velka 7

RTX 3080

i5-13600K (Very hot)

32GB

4TB (RAID 0)

-------------------------

However you decide you should first check on compatibility to ubuntu if you are planning on using it. My work Notebook (Lenovo T495s) does run ubuntu and requires some changes to the kernel parameters and general configuration to run flawless. Also it's up to the vendors to provide firmware updates (fwupd). You should get ready for fiddeling around for hours but it pays off, i will never develop on windows again - everything is so easy in *NIX.

Except of that, if your old NB is really bricked i'd suggest selling it on ebay or harvesting it yourself (parts, battery cells, etc.).

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

1 minute ago, Bumbummen said:

i'd suggest selling it on ebay or harvesting it yourself (parts, battery cells, etc.).

Its a 4th Gen Intel. Its not worth much. Notebook hardware does not age well. Sure the screen might be good, but I dont sell storage drives and it was plugged in most of its life so Id say the battery is probably about shot to shit. I was just going to give it to the county when they do the hazardous waste desposal. 

3 minutes ago, Bumbummen said:

should first check on compatibility to ubuntu

Which is why Im seeking guidance. Seeing if one vendor is more freindly than others. My Lenovo did run Ubutnu pretty well. But the link @yolofaces provided, the Notebook is $1800, at that point I should just buy a Macbook. Plus Linux I heard doesnt really do the whole touchscreen thing. Which I dont want to pay for a feature I wouldnt be able to use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its a 4th Gen Intel. Its not worth much. Notebook hardware does not age well. Sure the screen might be good, but I dont sell storage drives and it was plugged in most of its life so Id say the battery is probably about shot to shit. I was just going to give it to the county when they do the hazardous waste desposal.

I got a lot of 18650 Battery cells from old and dead NB batteries, some of them are reviveable, some not (strangely the broken ones are always marked with a black marker). Even RAM, Wifi cards, 2,5" Drives and more. If you are not using it ppl will buy it on ebay (espicially for original parts of an expensive device). Even the DVD Drive Cover is worth a lot since they are not produced as spare parts (Bought one one time for 75€).

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Which is why Im seeking guidance. Seeing if one vendor is more freindly than others. My Lenovo did run Ubutnu pretty well. But the link @yolofaces provided, the Notebook is $1800, at that point I should just buy a Macbook. Plus Linux I heard doesnt really do the whole touchscreen thing. Which I dont want to pay for a feature I wouldnt be able to use. 

Linux does not do well the whole touch and everything else thing :) In the most part they only support what the majority uses and that is desktop (I am glad they focused back in it). You can get it running, you can install a touch friendly desktop - thats the fiddeling part. For now i am happy i am finally getting a Linux compatible firmware for the fingerprint reader of my device, the gpu driver is still buggy and does crash on sleep/resume sometimes. I have heard that older Lenovos and ThinkPads in general run Ubuntu just fine tho. I had an HP before and it broke under its hinge strength, lenovos on the other hand are tanks tarned as notebooks. I can not speak for other vendors as i had none of them.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.