Stop Buying the MacBook Air

AlexTheGreatish

I'm still using an Air 11.6in (8gb,i7) , which is even older than the one Linus showed.

It does all I need it to do, and while I've been looking to replace it for years, frankly there's nothing that does, even if you include 13in.

Gaming systems today are great, but the ultra portable thin market is atrocious, either all soldered, under spec'd, poorly made, major construction flaws (sooo much garbage), poor materials, or some other major issue they all have something wrong. I'm waiting to see what the new AMD laptops bring but I'm not holding my breath.

Linus would never admit it in a pro-tech channel, but it seems like current laptop models might be over serving the market. It seems like the average user simply does not need the power that the latest hardware offers. As build quality gets better, there is even less incentive to upgrade. 

The MacBook Air continues to sport a great trackpad and keyboard, standard ports, MagSafe, as well as run macOS, which is really what people need for browsing the web and using office. 

Impressive how timeless a 2010 design continues to be today. 

39 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Linus would never admit it in a pro-tech channel, but it seems like current laptop models might be over serving the market. It seems like the average user simply does not need the power that the latest hardware offers. As build quality gets better, there is even less incentive to upgrade. 

this. I own a few old laptops, like I'm talking first gen i5 old, and I've been planning to sell them so I test them first to see if they all work properly and it's surprising how fast those systems still are. 

my main computer has a 3th gen dual-core i5 and it still performs fine too. there is simply no need to replace an 8 to 10 year old machine for basic use unless it's broken....

She/Her

I mean isn't this kinda why is everyone buying [blank] but you guys hate on it because it's an apple product?

7 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I mean isn't this kinda why is everyone buying [blank] but you guys hate on it because it's an apple product?

pretty much. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

We hate on it because it's an Apple product that felt outdated when it released three years ago

On 2/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, IAmAndre said:

Unfortunately not all of them are just 15. These are mostly not tech savvy people who see the Apple logo 1) as a sign of reliability and 2) as a cool thing to have.

They are reliable, I'll give you that. My wife has a dual core 1.4 ghz i5 air with a 128 gb ssd from like 2014 that was grossly overpriced and outdated the day it was released. It gets dangerously hot on her lap just browsing facebook...still, it 100% works today.

Even if their products are generally pretty reliable I still can't support Apple. They ludicrously overcharge consumers for the 'privilege' of using their products that often offer inferior performance (don't even get me started on the cooling issues with the mac mini and macbook air).

They've also given their own customer base the middle finger in countless ways over the past decade or so. 

4 hours ago, steelo said:

They are reliable, I'll give you that. My wife has a dual core 1.4 ghz i5 air with a 128 gb ssd from like 2014 that was grossly overpriced and outdated the day it was released. It gets dangerously hot on her lap just browsing facebook...still, it 100% works today.

Even if their products are generally pretty reliable I still can't support Apple. They ludicrously overcharge consumers for the 'privilege' of using their products that often offer inferior performance (don't even get me started on the cooling issues with the mac mini and macbook air).

They've also given their own customer base the middle finger in countless ways over the past decade or so. 

I totally agree with that. They aren't to blame though. The same people who bash Apple products all day long make the queue to buy the latest iPhone...

23 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We hate on it because it's an Apple product that felt outdated when it released three years ago

that doesn't mean it's a bad deal. as linus said himself he would take build quality over performance compared to those acer models.

not to mention it doesn't run an OS that randomly has it's search borked because of an issue at microsoft.

i think that some people at LMG cannot fathom that people prefer macOS, and are shopping specifically for a macbook and don't even consider Windows laptops an option. if you are shopping for a macbook, so not shopping for a laptop, then the Air seems like a pretty decent deal for one.

She/Her

On 2/3/2020 at 5:39 AM, Rancidpunk said:

So the air is ok as a word processor and that's about it.

hey hey now, it also makes a wonderful doormat and paperweight. Could also be great fodder for .223 target practice. Id say 30-06 target practice, but thatd be a one and done kind of deal methinks.

1 minute ago, Youdoofus said:

hey hey now, it also makes a wonderful doormat and paperweight. Could also be great fodder for .223 target practice. Id say 30-06 target practice, but thatd be a one and done kind of deal methinks.

slow clap

amazing joke

much funny

very lmao

She/Her

On 2/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, steelo said:

As part of that customer base I don't really feel like I've been given the finger?

15 minutes ago, Twilight said:

slow clap

amazing joke

much funny

very lmao

Have you seen Apple products being shot? RatedRR/I forget what (they're the same/sister channels) have done some excellent videos on that. Trash can Mac Pro vs a bath (it survived) and then 3 pounds of C4 or something (it did not survive, it was quite literally actual dust). iMac 5K vs a 90mm anti-tank cannon, iPad Mini vs minigun, iPhone 5S vs Barrett .50BMG rifle. All excellent videos and a very enjoyable watch. 

Oh the madlad also shot his F150 with that anti-tank cannon too, turned the engine block to rubble. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

47 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

As part of that customer base I don't really feel like I've been given the finger?

Have you seen Apple products being shot? RatedRR/I forget what (they're the same/sister channels) have done some excellent videos on that. Trash can Mac Pro vs a bath (it survived) and then 3 pounds of C4 or something (it did not survive, it was quite literally actual dust). iMac 5K vs a 90mm anti-tank cannon, iPad Mini vs minigun, iPhone 5S vs Barrett .50BMG rifle. All excellent videos and a very enjoyable watch. 

Oh the madlad also shot his F150 with that anti-tank cannon too, turned the engine block to rubble. 

see, now THIS is what im talkin about!!!! FPSRussia style!!

3 minutes ago, Youdoofus said:

see, now THIS is what im talkin about!!!! FPSRussia style!!

These guys do god-level slo-mo though, watching them come apart in perfect detail is incredibly satisfying. 

Ah yeah was Fullmag/Rated RR: 

Later on they shoot it edge-on and the whole thing disintegrates (putting the same vid but timestamped in spoiler):

Spoiler

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

These guys do god-level slo-mo though, watching them come apart in perfect detail is incredibly satisfying. 

Ah yeah was Fullmag/Rated RR: 

Later on they shoot it edge-on and the whole thing disintegrates (putting the same vid but timestamped in spoiler):

Reveal hidden contents

hot dang!! im gonna hafta check it out at home on the theater system :D

1 minute ago, Youdoofus said:

hot dang!! im gonna hafta check it out at home on the theater system :D

?

Like I mentioned they have a few others, the iMac vs 90mm cannon and iPad Mini vs minigun are likely the best. The iPad mini one is especially cool. The minigun's ROF is so insanely high that 2-3 bullets go through the iPad before it even starts reacting to the first one, and with the slo-mo they do it's fucking epic to watch. 

Main PC 

On 2/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Guys, I know the logo is pretty, but please stop buying it. 

Buy MacBook Air 

??¿?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

??¿?

das guuuglez will help LoL look up shooting i phone slo mo

On 2/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

The number one selling laptop on Amazon is currently the MacBook Air… from 2017. Guys, I know the logo is pretty, but please stop buying it. 

Buy MacBook Air 
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/lprkiU
On Newegg: https://geni.us/qyM1

Buy Acer Aspire 5 
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/n9BfUY
On Newegg: https://geni.us/WLOJA

Buy Lenovo Flex 14 
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/hAT0q
On Newegg: https://geni.us/zSr7Z8

Buy Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/iywNOB
On Newegg: https://geni.us/LVlAI

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Spoiler

Yeah, here's more options:

• Acer Swift 1 (Pentium N5000, 3lbs, ~$250)
  • Acer Swift 3 (Core i3/i5, 3.3lbs, $470-$649)
  • [2-in-1] Lenovo Yoga 720/730 (8th Gen Core i5/i7, Thunderbolt 3, 2.6lbs, $545-$740)
  • Lenovo IdeaPad 720S/730S (Core i5/i7, Thunderbolt 3, 2.6lbs, $545-$740)
  • Huawei Matebook D 14 (Ryzen 5 & Core i5-i7, 3.2-3.5lbs, $620-$982)
  • LG Gram 13-17 (Core i5/i7, 2.7-2.9lbs, $800-$1100)
  • [2-in-1] HP Pavillion x360 13 & 14 (Ryzen 3/Core i5, 3.6lbs, $335-$630)
  • HP ENVY 13/ENVY x360 13 (Core i5-i7 & Ryzen 5/7, 2.7-2.9lbs, $500-$955+)
  • [2-in-1] HP Spectre x360 13 (Core i5/i7, Thunderbolt 3, 2.9lbs, $672-$1050+)
  • HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G4 (Core i5, 3.4lbs, $539-$1150+)
  • [2-in-1] HP x2 1013 G3 (Core i5, 2.9lbs, $780-$890+)

MORE INFO: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6p6PtLrPKnS0c3KVnzmNQ-tGVaRdU6jzxuu2ATcjN0/edit?usp=sharing

Also, any chance we'll be seeing a review of the upcoming MSI Creator 17 with a 4K miniLED display?

On 2/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, Leslieann said:

Gaming systems today are great, but the ultra portable thin market is atrocious, either all soldered, under spec'd, poorly made, major construction flaws (sooo much garbage), poor materials, or some other major issue they all have something wrong. I'm waiting to see what the new AMD laptops bring but I'm not holding my breath.

Well here the low-down of what's in store: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1124312-amd-is-making-laptops-affordable-lenovo-flex-14/?do=findComment&comment=13213757