So... space. There is some weird stuff out there.

Pickles von Brine

Ran across this article and found it rather interesting. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/white-dwarf-causes-strange-relativity-effect-called-frame-dragging/

I know of another strange instance from back in 2004. A magnetar released a massive blast of gamma rays, blinding the swift telescope while it was look away. The energy hit earth's magenet filed and caused it to ring like a bell. From 50000 light years away it did this. 

Pretty crazy if you ask me. Any of you have some weird, interesting or rather fascinating space stuff, strange astronomy or odd science stories you ran across?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

You can also listen to Saturn.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

3 minutes ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

You can also listen to Saturn.

There is also the hexagon

220px-PIA20513_-_Basking_in_Light.jpg

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Dude we have no idea about dark matter and dark energy, then there are black holes that could completely erase our whole evolution.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R136

R136, a group of stars in the Tarantula Nebula in the Large Mellegenic Cloud, houses some of the one of the largest and most powerful stars in the observable universe. R136a1 is a Wolfe-Rayet star of approx 315 solar masses, a blue super giant. It and a group of about 7 other stars is the forge of light that lights up most the nebula itself, some 1000 light years across. The solar winds of R136a1 are so strong, it is stripping mass from itself at an astonishing rate. It looses mass of approx 3.21 × 1018 kg/s, over a billion times more than the sun itself sheds, per year. 

I think it's neat to be able to just look up at the night sky and see a bunch of stars that don't even exist anymore. The star dies yet they're so far away that the light takes YEARS to get to us. Kinda freaky when you think about it, and really makes you think about the size and scope of the universe.

3 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I think it's neat to be able to just look up at the night sky and see a bunch of stars that don't even exist anymore. The star dies yet they're so far away that the light takes YEARS to get to us. Kinda freaky when you think about it, and really makes you think about the size and scope of the universe.

Not to be a downer, but while you have the right concept this isn't correct.

Of the ~9000 stars that are visible to the naked eye, the farthest is only ~16,000 light years away. Even the shortest lived stars last millions of years, and most stars going on for billions. The probability that one of the ~9000 visible stars has died during the time it took for the light to travel to Earth is extremely low. The same applies to every star in the Milky Way which is 100k - 200k light years in diameter. Furthermore, the Andromeda galaxy (which is visible to the naked eye in very dark skies) is 2.5 million light years away. So there is still only a small probability that a star in Andromeda has died during the time for its light to reach us.

Stars live a very long time and there have only been ten supernovae in the Milky Way in recorded history.

My favorite is the planet that rains molten glass sideways at incredible speeds.

https://www.space.com/22614-blue-alien-planet-glass-rain.html 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Oh yeah that one is rather interesting. 

Here is another interesting factoid:

Magnetars - a type of neutron star with incrediblely powerful magnetic fields - have such powerful magnetic fields that if you put one at the orbit of pluto, it would wipe every magnetic media on planet earth from there. At about the distance of the moon, any matter within its magnetic fields would be torn apart into subatomic matter. Electrons stripped right off the atoms. 

Furthermore, you could "touch" its magnet fields. They are so strong they act solid. 

A rather intersting entry college lecture. 

Another fact is factoid originally didn't mean a little fact but, instead referred to a false "fact". However, so many people misused the word, both meanings are now recognized. It's like the word "enervate". It seems like it would mean to give something energy but actually means the opposite. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Another fact is factoid originally didn't mean a little fact but, instead referred to a false "fact". However, so many people misused the word, both meanings are now recognized. It's like the word "enervate". It seems like it would mean to give something energy but actually means the opposite. 

Hm... I learned a thing today!

Also hi fitz! ?

1 hour ago, Lord Xeb said:

Hm... I learned a thing today!

Also hi fitz! ?

Hi, Xebbie! ?

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, harryk said:

Not to be a downer, but while you have the right concept this isn't correct.

Of the ~9000 stars that are visible to the naked eye, the farthest is only ~16,000 light years away. Even the shortest lived stars last millions of years, and most stars going on for billions. The probability that one of the ~9000 visible stars has died during the time it took for the light to travel to Earth is extremely low. The same applies to every star in the Milky Way which is 100k - 200k light years in diameter. Furthermore, the Andromeda galaxy (which is visible to the naked eye in very dark skies) is 2.5 million light years away. So there is still only a small probability that a star in Andromeda has died during the time for its light to reach us.

Stars live a very long time and there have only been ten supernovae in the Milky Way in recorded history.

Well shit, my science teacher lied to me! Lol. Thanks for the correction.

18 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Well shit, my science teacher lied to me! Lol. Thanks for the correction.

That depends, what exactly did he tell you?

Because, yes, it's 100% possible that a star in the night sky has already died. It's just very unlikely, due to how rare those events are.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That depends, what exactly did he tell you?

Because, yes, it's 100% possible that a star in the night sky has already died. It's just very unlikely, due to how rare those events are.

Well I couldn't quote the man verbatim, it was around twenty years ago, but the jist was that because of the distance of some of those stars, they could be dead and we wouldn't know it because of how far the light has to travel to our eyes.

22 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Well I couldn't quote the man verbatim, it was around twenty years ago, but the jist was that because of the distance of some of those stars, they could be dead and we wouldn't know it because of how far the light has to travel to our eyes.

Oh, in that case, yes what he said is correct. 

Granted, we know a decent amount about most Stellar life cycles, so we can reasonably predict what stage a star is in. 

But as noted, the “margin for error” is rather large. There’s a star that had a mass ejection event in the late 1800’s that *almost* went supernova. This star will die soon. 

But soon could mean this year or 50,000 years from now.

It might already be dead due to speed of light - or it could have another few tens of thousands of years left. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Enervate is interesting. It's actually a poor use of word parts without considering prior words. E- means "away" and nervo- is obvious and -ate means "action" of the prior word part. It's analog/synonym would be unnerve. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Enervate is interesting. It's actually a poor use of word parts without considering prior words. E- means "away" and nervo- is obvious and -ate means "action" of the prior word part. It's analog/synonym would be unnerve. 

The word came almost directly from Latin by a bit of a roundabout route. See here for a brief explanation.

Jeannie

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The word came almost directly from Latin by a bit of a roundabout route. See here for a brief explanation.

I just gave you the Latin word parts. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The obvious question about space is

Are their "beings" out there?

Are their microscopic organisms out there?

Space smells like cooked beef steak I heard.

10 hours ago, greenmax said:

The obvious question about space is

Are their "beings" out there?

Are their microscopic organisms out there?

Space smells like cooked beef steak I heard.

When my hobby was astronomy way back in the 70s I used to cook steak in beer. It was the cowboy way. 

We know how long it takes to evolve an intelligent species with the right conditions so the chances are that any intelligent life out there it too busy being stupid to notice anyone else, just like us.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 2/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, ARikozuM said:

I just gave you the Latin word parts. 

Enervate was derived from a complete Latin word, not bits and pieces of Latin.

Jeannie

On 2/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, Lord Xeb said:

Ran across this article and found it rather interesting. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/white-dwarf-causes-strange-relativity-effect-called-frame-dragging/

I know of another strange instance from back in 2004. A magnetar released a massive blast of gamma rays, blinding the swift telescope while it was look away. The energy hit earth's magenet filed and caused it to ring like a bell. From 50000 light years away it did this. 

Pretty crazy if you ask me. Any of you have some weird, interesting or rather fascinating space stuff, strange astronomy or odd science stories you ran across?

we're never gonna travel to different stars tbh, our civilization's technology for interstellar travel is pretty basic, just BIG FIRE MEANS BIG PUSH SO GO BIG HOT PUSH FIRE TO MOON. 8 months to go to mars, yeahhhh we need new space travelling technology.

Back in 1991, the Oh My God particle was detected. It was (and still is) the most energetic particle ever detected. The energy of the particle was estimated at approx. (3.2±0.9)×1020 eV, or 51 J. That is equal to the amount of energy of a 5 oz baseball traveling at 58MPH. 

This particle is over 100 quintillion times more energetic than visible light.