Building my own Waves SoundGrind Extreme server - but better

mao91

I want to build my own SoundGrid server. To say I'm less than impressed with the prebuilt options from Waves would be a dramatic understatement. 

Here's their current best offering:
https://www.waves.com/hardware/soundgrid-extreme-server#tab-tech-specs

Naturally, it can be built much better.

What I'm wanting to know then is... what's stopping me? Does anybody know if there is proprietary software that I can't just purchase to make it work? I just can't help but think I can build a much more powerful server for much less money.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

You would have to talk to waves about getting the software, it isn't all up for download. I've heard of people buying v2 hardware and upgrading to v3 specs with some difficulty, so that at least can be made to work after a fashion. All support would be on you though of course.

Nothing is stopping you from building a more powerful server. Something is sopping you from using their software on your server.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 9:40 AM, boarder2k7 said:

You would have to talk to waves about getting the software, it isn't all up for download. I've heard of people buying v2 hardware and upgrading to v3 specs with some difficulty, so that at least can be made to work after a fashion. All support would be on you though of course.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:57 PM, AbsoluteFool said:

Nothing is stopping you from building a more powerful server. Something is sopping you from using their software on your server.

Both of these things are why I've since decided not to go with soundgrid. Plus, it's limiting. Why restrict myself to just Waves?

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, B.Toast said:

Both of these things are why I've since decided not to go with soundgrid. Plus, it's limiting. Why restrict myself to just Waves?

Hi @B.Toast, do you find other solution than Soundgrid ? I also want to build a external server for plugins. Any other choice ? 

Thanks

On 5/28/2020 at 4:19 AM, fouko said:

Hi @B.Toast, do you find other solution than Soundgrid ? I also want to build a external server for plugins. Any other choice ? 

Thanks

Hi Fouko! I have! With Reaper, you can use ReaMote to use an external computer over your LAN to help do some plugin processing. I will say, though, any plugins that can only run on one computer at a time (Waves and literally anything tied to an iLok), will have to be run on your main system. But plugins that don't activate that way can be off-boarded to your ReaMote system. The alternative to this (say you really want to use ReaMote and need a way around those iLok / Waves limitations) steps you into a bit of a morally gray area. 

6 hours ago, B.Toast said:

Hi Fouko! I have! With Reaper, you can use ReaMote to use an external computer over your LAN to help do some plugin processing. I will say, though, any plugins that can only run on one computer at a time (Waves and literally anything tied to an iLok), will have to be run on your main system. But plugins that don't activate that way can be off-boarded to your ReaMote system. The alternative to this (say you really want to use ReaMote and need a way around those iLok / Waves limitations) steps you into a bit of a morally gray area. 

Thanks @B.Toast for your quick answer. I have discover this solution, Audiogridder to offload plugin, and I actually try to install it.
For ReaMote, can it works with other DAW than Reaper ? Personally I use Studio One as DAW.