Right channel audio fades / distorts

So this is an interesting issue I've never had in my life and I can't seem to fix it.

Randomly my right channel will fade out and distort a little making it sound 85% left and 15% right. Here is the weird part. The only way to fix it temporarily is to use the "test" button under speaker config and the "test" button under advanced properties. The second it test the right channel, you can instantly here the right channel roar to life. For like 10 or 20 minutes max. 

Details of what I'm using.

Denon AVR-S740H connected through HDMI.

Normal analog bookshelf speakers connected to the AVR

Controller: is NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Config: 7.1 Surround sound / Dolby Atmos

Sample rate + bit depth: 24bit, 192000 Hz

Enhancements and Spatial Sound are off. 

PC: Ryzen 7 2700X & RTX 2060

thanks for the help

I would guess that a capacitor or something similar is failing inside the Denon AVR. When you push max audio through it recharges the capacitor for a while until the leak drains it again. ....this is just a dumb theory. Would probably be between the DAC and amplifier.

22 hours ago, ShearMe said:

I would guess that a capacitor or something similar is failing inside the Denon AVR. When you push max audio through it recharges the capacitor for a while until the leak drains it again. ....this is just a dumb theory. Would probably be between the DAC and amplifier.

Your dumb theory was actually more correct than you think. Except instead of the AVR it turned out to be the speaker. I'm not really sure what the specific reason is, but basically tapping the cone gets it going. I do have a three-way system, so it very well could be a capacitor, but I think the voice coil or sider is stiffening up.

5 minutes ago, ZEYDYBOY said:

Your dumb theory was actually more correct than you think. Except instead of the AVR it turned out to be the speaker. I'm not really sure what the specific reason is, but basically tapping the cone gets it going. I do have a three-way system, so it very well could be a capacitor, but I think the voice coil or sider is stiffening up.

Neat!

I have head of cones having the rubber around the edge flake off and fall apart, but never seen it stiffen up. 

3 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Neat!

I have head of cones having the rubber around the edge flake off and fall apart, but never seen it stiffen up. 

Yeah definitely weird. They are 28 years now, but like they still sound amazing and look brand new. On the bright side, after flicking the cone it hasn't stalled yet. SO idk what's going on lmao

14 hours ago, ZEYDYBOY said:

Yeah definitely weird. They are 28 years now, but like they still sound amazing and look brand new. On the bright side, after flicking the cone it hasn't stalled yet. SO idk what's going on lmao

Sounds silly, but try feeding the speakers some infrasonics, might loosen everything up.

Something like 15hz would work well.

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)