Nvidia/Radeon with Gsync monitor, what do I do?

Iffyplacebo

I'm currently planning out a new build and was looking at a 1660 ti for the build since I'm still running a GTX 960 and it's a sizeable upgrade and I've had good experiences with my Nvidia cards.  I also got a good deal on a new monitor a few months ago and got a 1440p, 144MHz refresh, 1ms response time monitor with Gsync.  

My conundrum is that the new Radeon cards are looking pretty competitive from what I can see and I'm not sure if I should sacrifice Gsync if I get a good deal on a Radeon card, or should I stick to Nvidia and take advantage of the Gsync?

Amd has freesync too. As far as i see it, they practically do the same thing. Plus, freesync monitors are cheaper  now. So if you think you can get more performance on the amd cards, why not?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

23 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

Amd has freesync too. As far as i see it, they practically do the same thing. Plus, freesync monitors are cheaper  now. So if you think you can get more performance on the amd cards, why not?

Freesync isn't a guarantee of quality or expected VRR performance.  There are many features that are basic G-Sync features that are only guaranteed in Freesync Pro or whatever their premium offering is.  Then G-Sync goes one further with G-Sync Utimate.

27 minutes ago, Iffyplacebo said:

I'm currently planning out a new build and was looking at a 1660 ti for the build since I'm still running a GTX 960 and it's a sizeable upgrade and I've had good experiences with my Nvidia cards.  I also got a good deal on a new monitor a few months ago and got a 1440p, 144MHz refresh, 1ms response time monitor with Gsync.  

My conundrum is that the new Radeon cards are looking pretty competitive from what I can see and I'm not sure if I should sacrifice Gsync if I get a good deal on a Radeon card, or should I stick to Nvidia and take advantage of the Gsync?

Could the build wait maybe a few months?  Nvidia is slated to release a new GPU lineup this year, so you could build your PC first minus the GPU for now.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You can use some Freesync monitors with an Nvidia GPU however you cannot use a G Sync mpnitor with an AMD GPU so if you already have the display stick with an Nvidia GPU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Freesync isn't a guarantee of quality or expected VRR performance.  There are many features that are basic G-Sync features that are only guaranteed in Freesync Pro or whatever their premium offering is.  Then G-Sync goes one further with G-Sync Utimate.

The lowest end G-sync is about on par with the average implementation of Freesync, and usually supports both. Last I heard, any monitor with Freesync was going to get the basic G-sync approval by default...

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Isn't G Sync Ultimate just G Sync with HDR Support?

EDIT

So I checked and yeah, G Sync Basic and G Sync are for all intents & purposes identical. The difference is basic displays have not passed Nvidia's certification process. G Sync Ultimate is G Sync with HDR support.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

The lowest end G-sync is about on par with the average implementation of Freesync, and usually supports both. Last I heard, any monitor with Freesync was going to get the basic G-sync approval by default...

No it isn't.  Freesync is ONLY VRR, with no minimum or maximum defined refresh rate that is mandated in G-Sync.  Manufacturer's can implement any sort of VRR range they want, and you will never know what range it is until you dig deep into their specs.  G-Sync is ALWAYS 30hz -> Max refresh rate.  Freesync also doesn't guarantee any sort of ULMB or black frame insertions, G-Sync has those as mandatory features.

Also G-Sync Compatible is not G-Sync... G-Sync is more than just VRR whereas Freesync IS only VRR.

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Isn't G Sync Ultimate just G Sync with HDR Support?

EDIT

So I checked and yeah, G Sync Basic and G Sync are for all intents & purposes identical. The difference is basic displays have not passed Nvidia's certification process. G Sync Ultimate is G Sync with HDR support.

G-Sync basic?  Wat.  There's G-Sync and then there's G-Sync Ultimate.  Ultimate guarantees HDR and 4k, plus everything else G-Sync has implemented.  Freesync is ONLY VRR and nothing else.  They can implement other stuff if they want but they aren't Freesync features.

Edited by Samfisher

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

No it isn't.  Freesync is ONLY VRR, with no minimum or maximum defined refresh rate that is mandated in G-Sync.  Manufacturer's can implement any sort of VRR range they want, and you will never know what range it is until you dig deep into their specs.  G-Sync is ALWAYS 30hz -> Max refresh rate.  Freesync also doesn't guarantee any sort of ULMB or black frame insertions, G-Sync has those as mandatory features.

Also G-Sync Compatible is not G-Sync... G-Sync is more than just VRR whereas Freesync IS only VRR.

G-Sync basic?  Wat.  There's G-Sync and then there's G-Sync Ultimate.  Ultimate guarantees HDR and 4k, plus everything else G-Sync has implemented.  Freesync is ONLY VRR and nothing else.  They can implement other stuff if they want but they aren't Freesync features.

Nvidia call it "G Sync Compatible" but the person I was responding too called it basic.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Nvidia call it "G Sync Compatible" but the person I was responding too called it basic.

I wouldn't know cos you didn't quite anyone xD

45 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I wouldn't know cos you didn't quite anyone xD

He was talking about me.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Real gsync monitors have a nvidia gsync module built into them this can be standard Gsync or the Ultimate version that supports HDR.. 

The other version of gsync called Gsync compatible or whatever is just leveraging the inbuilt variable refresh rate stuff available in the optional display port stuff.. This is basically the same as freesync from what I understand. 

Get a stronger card and not worry about either of those gimmicks. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Get a stronger card and not worry about either of those gimmicks. 

There are lots of gimmicky things surrounding PC hardware but having owned both G Sync and Freesync monitors I can assure you VRR is not one of them.

30 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There are lots of gimmicky things surrounding PC hardware but having owned both G Sync and Freesync monitors I can assure you VRR is not one of them.

Feels like one. But with your assurance it must be. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Feels like one. But with your assurance it must be. 

Well a gimmick is something that doesn't really do anything useful and is intended only to attract attention. VRR is VERY useful in certain situations.

Digression: Remember the Batman Arkham Knight fiasco? I don't because G Sync meant I was almost entirely unaffected by the issues almost everyone else was having. There was a group of about 5 of us on the Steam User Discussion boards who were all running G Sync and could all play the game with almost zero stuttering (the only time it stuttered was during map area transitions). Literally hundreds of people were calling us liers so I made a 30 minute gameplay video using Shadowplay and stuck it on YouTube. Then they all claimed it only looked smooth because it was captured so I made a second video showing 15 minutes of smooth gameplay then me disabling G Sync then another 15 minutes of stutter fest. Surprisingly the large majority of them disappeared after I uploaded that one.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Well a gimmick is something that doesn't really do anything useful and is intended only to attract attention. VRR is VERY useful in certain situations.

Digression: Remember the Batman Arkham Knight fiasco? I don't because G Sync meant I was almost entirely unaffected by the issues almost everyone else was having. There was a group of about 5 of us on the Steam User Discussion boards who were all running G Sync and could all play the game with almost zero stuttering (the only time it stuttered was during map area transitions). Literally hundreds of people were calling us liers so I made a 30 minute gameplay video using Shadowplay and stuck it on YouTube. Then they all claimed it only looked smooth because it was captured so I made a second video showing 15 minutes of smooth gameplay then me disabling G Sync then another 15 minutes of stutter fest. Surprisingly the large majority of them disappeared after I uploaded that one.

Not familiar with the game or any of its issues. I’m sure I wasn’t around at the time. But if op wants to play the game, it’s seems as though they will have a fix for it. 

Yeah.  All this is why all of this incredibly confusing and hard to understand.

I already own the monitor.  I have a Dell S2716DGR 27.0" monitor, so my issue with the next build is should I focus on an Nvidia card since I own a Gsync monitor, or if It's worth looking at the new Radeon GPUs and giving up the Gsync?

I've been focusing on a 1660 ti due to finances, but I might be able to step up to a 2060 as long as I'm not dropping $400+ for the card.

Both of my main monitors are freesync. But support gsync. Don’t think I’ll over own an amd Gpu so it isn’t a real concern to me. I don’t want my hardware to have to be based off each other in that sense. 

But if that’s a feature you want and need then it’s best to weigh the options. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, Iffyplacebo said:

I also got a good deal on a new monitor a few months ago and got a 1440p, 144MHz refresh, 1ms response time monitor with Gsync.  

Basically you already have the monitor? If it a great monitor for you then just grab Nvidia GPU.

VRR should be a standard in all monitor/TV imo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

As mentioned before, you could wait for nvidias new cards later this year. i wouldn't get the 1660 Ti as the RTX 2060 KO is basically the same price.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:59 PM, Iffyplacebo said:

I've been focusing on a 1660 ti due to finances, but I might be able to step up to a 2060 as long as I'm not dropping $400+ for the card.

The 1660TI has basically been pushed out of the market... It's now more expensive than one variety of the 2060, and way less performance.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2066-kr/p/N82E16814487488

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2068-kr/p/N82E16814487486 (this one has a 75MHz faster clock speed for an extra $20, and it's definitely not worth that)

As of right now, this is the card I'd recommend for a budget between the 1660 Super and 5700 XT.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, Martin2132 said:

He just said he already got a gsync monitor at a good price.