So, what is the best wifi solution for PC at home?

mcRYSHER

Hey, guys!

Lets say my ISP provides me with 555 mbps/sec internet. This speed is stable with wire connection. I have a desktop PC. What hardware do I need to buy to have this 555 mbps on wifi? Is it even possible?

Lets assume I will place gigabit 5GHz router in the same room, so there will be no obstacles for the signal. Lets also assume there is no other 5GHz wifi in the area.

802.11ax should hit that speed assuming you don't have a busy 5g in your area, and multiple streams, and a short distance. people have gotten a bit over gigabit with this type of setup.

It depends on the wireless router you get.

Both router and wireless card must be able to achieve the bandwidth and have similar specs. For example, if you get a router that can do 866 mbps on 5 ghz using 2 antennas, you would need a wireless card that can also do 866 mbps using 2 antennas. If you have a wireless card that can use only 1 antenna, you may get only 433 mbps or 300 mbps on 5 ghz even if the router supports 866 mbps.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It depends on the wireless router you get.

Currently I have Xiaomi 5GHz Router (R3G). On wire it shows up to 580mbps/sec.

My PC wifi adapter is Zyxel nwd6605. It has USB 3.0 and one antenna. It provides me stable 250 mbps at the moment. So, only the half of the speed.

My phone shows me up to 490 mbps/sec, so I guess the router is capable to work on these speeds. Seems like I need to buy a two antennas wifi adapter, right?

Just because the speed is the same doesn't mean the latency or reliability is the same.

A wired connection is always best.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your xiaomi has a 1 gbps ethernet port, so it can transfer data to pc at up to 1 gbps or 1000 mbps. Your ISP limits the transfers to around 550 mbps, or your hard drive can't keep up with the transfer and keeps you at 550.

With wired connection, you would either get a maximum of 100 mbps (if you had a 100mbps ethernet connector), or 1000 mbps.

Your Zyxel claims to go up to 866 mbps : https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1200-USB-Adapter-NWD6605/specifications

Wireless Standard

• 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
  • 802.11 a/n/ac 5 GHz

Wireless Transfer Rate

• Transmit:
    • 300 Mbps* for 2.4 GHz
    • 867 Mbps* for 5 GHz
  • Receive:
    • 300 Mbps* for 2.4 GHz
    • 867 Mbps* for 5 GHz

Radio Band

• 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz

Wireless Security

• WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK
  • Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) hardware button

•  

It could that because it's USB and the antenna is small you don't strong enough signal for the adapter to connect at 867 mbps. Could be it defaults on 2.4 ghz where the max is 300 mbps

Look at network connections at network status and see the signal strength and what's the reported pair speed.

IDeally you should get an internal wireless card, in a pci-e x1 slot, if you have a pc. Only use usb if you have a laptop or can't open the pc for some reason.

Ideally, you'd also want to get a card with removable antennas, at the end of small coaxial wires, as that would allow you to place the antennas in the best location to get consistent high sped.

The model of your router doesn't tell me anything. look at the exact model (should be a label somewhere on the router) and tell it here, or you can look up on google the specs to see what's the max it can do.

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It could that because it's USB and the antenna is small you don't strong enough signal for the adapter to connect at 867 mbps. Could be it defaults on 2.4 ghz where the max is 300 mbps

My Zyxel is on 5GHz mode with 802.11ac. 

713546762_Annotation2020-01-30235329.png.5bba8af0ac4e9ecf93ead6d12fe6fc57.png

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The model of your router doesn't tell me anything. look at the exact model 

It doesn't matter actually because I tested speed between router and my smartphone. It shows up to 490 mbps for download. So, the router is fine, I guess.

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

IDeally you should get an internal wireless card, in a pci-e x1 slot, if you have a pc.

I've been thinking about it. M.2 wifi is also seem to be a good thing. But both PCIe and M.2 wifi cards have mixed reviews. So, thats why I am curious what is the best hardware for PC that can easily provide stable 500+ mpbs if the router is like 9 feet away with no walls in between.

Also, does anyone know how can I test connection speed between router and wifi adapter? I mean not an internet speed but just maximum speed these devices communicate with each other.