Dual boot Linux(Pop OS) and Windows on the same drive?

I am planning to go dual boot, but my question is if dual booting Pop OS and Windows on the same drive would cause any errors, or any potential SSD screw up during a Windows update?

Also, for content creation like 3D art, which is the best distro : Pop!_OS, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora?

I do this on several systems. They're separated by partitions.

What distro is the best depends on you. Ubuntu is fairly noob friendly so I would start there if you haven't used it before

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I do this on several systems. They're separated by partitions.

What distro is the best depends on you. Ubuntu is fairly noob friendly so I would start there if you haven't used it before

Are there any major performance improvements in any particular distro?

Just now, PsychoMantissa said:

Are there any major performance improvements in any particular distro?

Some back end stuff and then just aesthetics.

Some packages and formats don't work on other distros that use a different base framework. Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros generally have the most global accessibility

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Some back end stuff and then just aesthetics.

Some packages and formats don't work on other distros that use a different base framework. Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros generally have the most global accessibility

Thanks! In that case, I guess I'll stick with Pop OS!

4 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

i can't see it causing issues if i'm perfectly honest, windows update is not going to go and wipe your linux install just because it happens to share the same physical drive. given it's track record, it's more likely to wipe itself.

Thanks! But I do hope you were joking about the "wiping itself" part. If not, what are the odds that such an event could occur?

5 minutes ago, PsychoMantissa said:

Thanks! But I do hope you were joking about the "wiping itself" part. If not, what are the odds that such an event could occur?

Windows won't wipe itself out, but some of the newer updates had issues (one would wipe the user's documents, another made some system not boot or BSOD). To make sure to avoid this, simply don't install the most recent updates (check the options in the Windows Update settings).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, yaboistar said:

or spend just half an hour making a clone of your drive so that you can a.) revert if shindows update crucifies your files and b.) have a backup of your data incase you have a drive failure. it's kinda just a sensible thing to do.

Personally I think doing a backup of your files is the sensible thing to do, Windows can always be re-installed (despite being a pain), you personal files (pictures, videos, documents) won't be ;)

Just now, yaboistar said:

deferring feature updates for a month or so to let other people's data go missing instead is fine but deferring all updates potentially leaves you without security fixes.

Never said anyone should defer updates indefinitely, the parameters in Windows update setting only let you defer updates for a few months. You have to play with the registry or GPOs to have Windows 10 stop updating itself automatically.

Best option is to defer what MS call the "feature updates" (MS explanation on how to do that), and if you want more control, then play with the GPOs so that Windows update won't automatically install the updates but will still search for updates and you'll get notifications (that's what I did on my personal computer after Windows fucked my shares and network settings).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

23 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

with windows 10? i make backups of my system drives before feature updates just incase it bricks something while it's essentially reinstalling the OS. i trust windows updates about as far as i could throw the people that compile them

Yeah I don't I bother putting anything I own on the same drive as the OS...except maybe a few tools for benchmarks...which are easy/free to replace.