Chinese X86 CPU on it's way - The Zhaoxin’s KaiXian KX-6780A

WkdPaul
Message added by TVwazhere

Please keep discussion on topic and civil. Do not let the country of origin derail the technology discussion. 

Zhaoxin, a joint venture between Via Technologies and the Chinese government, has been selling processors for various client systems for years, but recently the company rolled out its latest CPUs that some of the local PC makers position as solutions for DIY enthusiasts. At least initially, Zhaoxin’s KaiXian KX-6780A will be available only in China.

Zhaoxin’s KaiXian KX-6780A is an eight-core x86-64 processor with 8 MB of L2 cache, a dual-channel DDR4-3200 memory controller, modern I/O interfaces (PCIe, SATA, USB, etc.), and integrated DirectX 11.1-capable graphics (possibly S3 based but unknown). The CPU cores are in-house designed LuJiaZui cores, built around a superscalar, multi-issue, out-of-order microarchitecture that supports modern instruction sets extensions like SSE 4.2 as well as AVX along with virtualization and encryption technologies. The processor is made using TSMC’s 16 nm process technology.

Zhaoxin says the KX-6780A (an 8 core CPU) is comparable to a 7th Gen Intel Core i5, those are 4 cores, 4 threads CPU ( but they didn't mention which one though!). So they're obviously looking at multi-core performance, that could mean it's VERY slow in single-core performance (IMO it probably will).

The CPU is BGA and won't be available until March (from another company by way of a mini-ITX motherboard / CPU combo).

Regardless, if it's priced accordingly, this could make for affordable low power needs, but I'm not sure I would trust a Chinese company not to insert some spyware in the core of the thing.

Sources ;

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15446/zhaoxins-x86compatible-cpus-for-diy-enthusiasts-now-available

http://en.zhaoxin.com/ZXC.aspx?seriesid=19

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

is comparable to a 7th Gen Intel Core i5, those are 4 cores, 4 threads CPU ( but they didn't mention which one though!)

gonna go ahead and say it's probably the 7600K at 5.1GHz

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

gonna go ahead and say it's probably the 7600K at 5.1GHz

That would make sense if it was me, but I'm gonna press X on that one, IMO, if it really was the 7600k @ a specific Ghz, they would've mentioned it.

It's slightly slower than the i5-7400, so it's more inline with say, a 7400T or 7500T or Skylake 6400

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Well if I were making components used for spying then BGA would be how'd I do it too.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

The baked-in spyware part is what I'd worry about over all else with them.
Not to mention their rep for quality.....

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Hmm, cool. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

that could mean it's VERY slow in single-core performance

Looking at the specs it does look like a low to midrange chip, particularly in the lack of L3 cache and "large" process node. With that said, it's not necessarily going to be a case of the bulldozer - it could just be a relatively low power chip that is more oriented to parallel workloads. After all they know they're unlikely to directly compete with either Intel or AMD in terms of raw performance, at least in the first generation.

More importantly this is a BGA chip meaning it's soldered to the board - so I can see this being more relevant to embedded systems than consumers.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

Well if I were making components used for spying then BGA would be how'd I do it too.  

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

The baked-in spyware part is what I'd worry about over all else with them.

It's funny because Intel literally has a direct backdoor in every CPU they produce, yet people only seem to care when a product is from China.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

It's funny because Intel literally has a direct backdoor in every CPU they produce, yet people only seem to care when a product is from China.

Do they?  And if they do, but nobody knows about it then I don't care.  If a manufacturer has to share their backdoor with a government then that should be a concern.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

It's due to China's proven record of how they do things that's the problem with it.

Every chip made period has a backdoor, every OS has a way in, the cloud itself has been proven to be vulnerable too......

All this is mandated by various governments around the globe, it's what each does with it that matters and China is well known to use and abuse these backdoors to their own benefit regardless of cost to anyone else.
Note I'm not saying they are the only ones, they all do it to some extent at the very least or these doors would have no purpose.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

16 minutes ago, nick name said:

Do they?  And if they do, but nobody knows about it then I don't care.

They do, and plenty of people know about it, it's never really been a secret. In fact, Intel markets it as a feature. Google Intel Management Engine. Or maybe DuckDuckGo it if you care about privacy as you earlier seemed to.

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

It's due to China's proven record of how they do things that's the problem with it.

As though 'murican companies had a better track record when it came to surveillance.

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Every chip made period has a backdoor

No...? Though it's true that all modern x86 cpus have a backdoor since AMD also has something similar to the ME.

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

every OS has a way in, the cloud itself has been proven to be vulnerable too......

A vulnerability is not a backdoor.

7 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

All this is mandated by various governments around the globe, it's what each does with it that matters and China is well known to use and abuse these backdoors to their own benefit regardless of cost to anyone else.

As is the US government. Didn't see people paying much attention when this came out last week. And I guess we just collectively forgot about the whole Snowden affair?

10 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Note I'm not saying they are the only ones, they all do it to some extent at the very least or these doors would have no purpose.

We don't need to speculate, there is plenty of evidence.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

43 minutes ago, nick name said:

Make sure the suckers can't remove the damn thing even if they wanted to! Genius ;)

2 minutes ago, slippers_ said:

Make sure the suckers can't remove the damn thing even if they wanted to! Genius ;)

This guy gets it!

21 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Every chip made period has a backdoor, every OS has a way in, the cloud itself has been proven to be vulnerable too......

have they actually proved theres a backdoor with any of china's stuff sold to western markets. US has been saying huawei has spyware installed in their 5G equipment but EU has been insisting on using them

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

-snip-  Intel Management Engine -snip-

Oh, that's what you mean.  

Just now, spartaman64 said:

have they actually proved theres a backdoor with any of china's stuff sold to western markets. US has been saying huawei has spyware installed in their 5G equipment but EU has been insisting on using them

I don't get the impression they insist on using them, but that they see no reason to not have them as an option.  

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Regardless, if it's priced accordingly, this could make for affordable low power needs, but I'm not sure I would trust a Chinese company not to insert some spyware in the core of the thing.

I'm not sure I would trust such a chip to be reliable, let alone not spy on you on purpose. The Intel IME is bad enough, but the Intel IME at the minimum is touted as enterprise hardware management. If you turn it on on your personal PC and leave it unconfigured you have nobody to blame but yourself. Configuring MEBx on the vPro systems you can just straight up set a password on it and never turn anything inside on.

The same can be said about a lot of the Chinese-market devices already being sold. 

I'm also very skeptical that this is even a real CPU, I would not put it past the Chinese to just copy an Intel chip.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'm also very skeptical that this is even a real CPU, I would not put it past the Chinese to just copy an Intel chip.

The article might not mention it, but it's an evolution of VIA chips.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

They do, and plenty of people know about it, it's never really been a secret. In fact, Intel markets it as a feature. Google Intel Management Engine. Or maybe DuckDuckGo it if you care about privacy as you earlier seemed to.

As though 'murican companies had a better track record when it came to surveillance.

No...? Though it's true that all modern x86 cpus have a backdoor since AMD also has something similar to the ME.

A vulnerability is not a backdoor.

As is the US government. Didn't see people paying much attention when this came out last week. And I guess we just collectively forgot about the whole Snowden affair?

We don't need to speculate, there is plenty of evidence.

You just reaffirmed what I was getting at - They all do it and I never said at any point American companies were innocent, in fact the previous statement I made "They all do it" goes to that end.

No, there is not need to speculate - Again, they all do it and that includes China.

Speaking of the cloud - I did misphrase things ? when I said "Vulnerability", it's roughly the same backdoor means of getting info if they want it and believe me, they can whether it's a vulnerablity, backdoor, exploit or anything else you can describe it as. 

Point is, if they want it, they can get it and that applies to all of us.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

The article might not mention it, but it's an evolution of VIA chips.

Yeah, the problem with the CPU is that it's neither fast, nor efficient so to be a VIAble (get it?) part, it needs to be very cheap honestly...

8 cores at 70W TDP (the CPU-Z screenshot also showed 2.7GHz core speed but it may not be peak frequency) with the multithreaded performance of a (probably locked) Skylake 4C/4T Core i5 and 70W TDP... Ryzen 5 1600, the new 12nm 'AF' revision, costs like 85$ on Amazon, has lower TDP and better performance... Can't see a bright future for this particular chip, especially that it's on a BGA socket. :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

LOL seriously though ._.

Probably going to be some Frankenstein proprietary format or basically fake wraith prism coolers.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Can't see a bright future for this particular chip, especially that it's on a BGA socket. :P

The alternatives to the chip certainly outstrips it on most metrics (retail cost aside, as massive government "subsidies" may come into play), including the aforementioned 2-3 generation old lower-mid tier hardware.

But that is only true while those alternatives are still broadly accessible for its market ;).

33 minutes ago, MageTank said:

As for the topic at hand, that cache seems super sketchy, unlike anything I have seen from AMD or Intel.I can only imagine their performance is going to be awful, I just can't wait for the random tech youtuber to get their hands on one to do a "budget gaming build".

I hadn't looked closely until you wrote that. 8MB for 8 cores, is 1MB/core so comparable to Skylake-X derivatives, without the L3. The CPU-Z screenshot on Anadtech detects it as 2x4MB though, so I wonder if there is something CCX-like going on there.

By the time you get it to the west, I don't think it'll count for a "budget" build...

Still, I think Linus could get positive ROI on that (he managed to on the $1000 HDMI cable), even if appears Anandtech isn't gonna fund this.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible