Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WikiForce

Did flashing BIOS ruined my GPU?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So a while back i flashed my gpu bios after being fearful that it might get bricked after intentionally flashing wrong bios, i just wanted to test if it checks whether it is compatible or not.

First it said error reading from file then later after pressing ok or something it warned saying gpu flashing failed so i got really triggered and thought it might get bricked upon restart so i flashed the one i had from TPU VGA BIOS collection, though clocks look to be at default and all three major memory manufacturer such as hynix, samsung etc. (mine was samsung when i originally got the gpu but after rma ithe ones i got were all hynix) are listed but i still wonder if that's the reason behind me having flickering textures and jagged edges in certain games including GTA V

I don't exactly remember when this thing started but i feel it could have something to do with me flashing this unverified bios. Earlier more than a year ago when i did this, they didn't used to warn user about an unverified bios or it's consequences, i just started to see it so that's bit disappointing, had that warning been there earlier i would have most likely avoided flashing this bios.

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

VBIOS don't give warnings cos they were never meant for end users to update, unlike motherboard BIOSs.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

26 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

First it said error reading from file then later after pressing ok

You got an error and decided that "hey, I'll just ignore it and proceed with flashing a BIOS"? I have no idea what that did or didn't do to your GPU, but that's a really stupid thing to do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

22 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You got an error and decided that "hey, I'll just ignore it and proceed with flashing a BIOS"? I have no idea what that did or didn't do to your GPU, but that's a really stupid thing to do.

i think it failed to flash wrong bios otherwise my gpu would have got bricked instantly but i wasn't of that at the time and proceeded with flashing original gpu bios as when i checked in gpu-z it showed uefi is disabled so i wondered if my card has gone bad then i proceeded to flashing it with what i thought is original and untouched bios. The error i got was not reversible and both options IIRC would have resulted in same "flashing failed" error warning.

1 hour ago, WikiForce said:

i think it failed to flash wrong bios otherwise my gpu would have got bricked instantly but i wasn't of that at the time and proceeded with flashing original gpu bios as when i checked in gpu-z it showed uefi is disabled so i wondered if my card has gone bad then i proceeded to flashing it with what i thought is original and untouched bios. The error i got was not reversible and both options IIRC would have resulted in same "flashing failed" error warning.

Does it still say that UEFI is disabled? Because UEFI ROMs are signed with digital signatures and GPUs will disable their UEFI mode if they have a non-original vBIOS on them.

Did you make a backup or dump of your original vBIOS before your flashed any of the others?

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

38 minutes ago, Husky said:

Does it still say that UEFI is disabled? Because UEFI ROMs are signed with digital signatures and GPUs will disable their UEFI mode if they have a non-original vBIOS on them.

Did you make a backup or dump of your original vBIOS before your flashed any of the others?

no, actually at that time uefi was disabled in my bios and after re-enabling it it showed uefi enabled in gpu-z

sadly, i didn't my original gpu bios :(

3 hours ago, WikiForce said:

no, actually at that time uefi was disabled in my bios and after re-enabling it it showed uefi enabled in gpu-z

sadly, i didn't my original gpu bios :(

Is there no way to try and find the original vBIOS ROM online somewhere and flash it? Some GPU manufacturers provide the vBIOS ROMs for download either from their websites or through some sort of update program.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Go over to TPU and ask eidairaman1 for help.

He's helped alot of folks with GPU BIOS issues including ones that bought fake GPUs from China to get their stuff sorted. Follow the directions he gives exactly and things will get fixed.