What Type Of Keyboard Is Best For Programming

ConnorJ

You can program on almost any keyboard. Its basically typing with a lot of special symbols.

But keyboards are pretty upto the person using them, try a few and see what feels comfortable for you.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can program on almost any keyboard. Its basically typing with a lot of special symbols.

But keyboards are pretty upto the person using them, try a few and see what feels comfortable for you.

I've mainly been using mechanical keyboards when programming and just typing in general. I prefer Cherry MX Brown switches over everything but haven't been able to find really any besides the one I first used those switches on. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

My memory of programmers is the best keyboard is the one that doesn’t turn your finger tendons into fishing line.  They’d go through wildly different and sometimes fantastically expensive keyboards looking for such.  Whether they “liked” em didn’t even matter.  It was all about repetitive stress.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, ConnorJ said:

I've mainly been using mechanical keyboards when programming and just typing in general. I prefer Cherry MX Brown switches over everything but haven't been able to find really any besides the one I first used those switches on. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

What keyboard are you using now?

You don't need anything special in a keyboard for programming. Are you running into issues with your current keyboard?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What keyboard are you using now?

You don't need anything special in a keyboard for programming. Are you running into issues with your current keyboard?

Redragon K552-RGB. I bought it because it was relatively cheap and I remember Linus talking about the Redragon brand. I honestly don't really like it compared to what I was using before, which was the G-Cord Wireless Mechanical Keyboard but a bunch of the keys stopped working on it after maybe a year of using it. It has the MX Brown switches I like and that was were I found them. Before that I was using various cheap Logitech keyboards from Best Buy and they really all sucked. I don't know if I should get another keyboard or if I should just stay with the K552.

13 minutes ago, ConnorJ said:

I am learning programming and was wondering if the keyboard I have is good enough for that.

Literally the best keyboard for you is the one that you feel most comfortable with. No one else can tell you what keyboard is or isn't best for you. Me, I use a Logitech G710 and while the noise is somewhat annoying, I love the feel of it and it's so far the best keyboard I've ever used.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Literally the best keyboard for you is the one that you feel most comfortable with. No one else can tell you what keyboard is or isn't best for you. Me, I use a Logitech G710 and while the noise is somewhat annoying, I love the feel of it and it's so far the best keyboard I've ever used.

I haven't really found a keyboard that I love a ton. Maybe I should try many different keyboards? I've had maybe 10 keyboards during my entire time owning a computer and they were all generic Logitech keyboards. I did use a Razer Chroma V2 for a while but I didn't have the space when I got a different setup but I guess I really liked it. I don't really know at all.

What Type Of Keyboard Is Best For Programming

One not covered in Cheeto dust.

Personally I like a somewhat light/medium weight clicky switch for programming and typing in general.

But everyone will have their own preferences.

Every keyboard types each letter that same way, but what you specifically like typing the best on? That's impossible for me to say.

You should definitely get a keyswitch tester if you are interested in finding the different feels, or you should just go to a store which has keyboards on display and try some out.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

You should definitely get a keyswitch tester

Do you know where I could get one?

3 minutes ago, ConnorJ said:

Do you know where I could get one?

KBDFans (on their own site and AliExpress) has some great options.

It kind of depends on what keyswitches you would want to try. 

For example, I like Kailh Box switches so would get a tester for that. But you won't find a keyboard in a store from a brand like Corsair, HyperX or Razer with Kailh Box. Which means if you want a keyboard with those, you either have to get a smaller brand, or get a hotswap board and get these switches separately.

But anyways, get a tester with a variety of switches you were already thinking of getting. So think about if you want clicky, tactile or linear. Heavy, medium or light actuation and if you are okay with hotswap/smaller brand.

Personally I really like Kailh Box Jade, but you do have to keep in mind they are louder.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 1/29/2020 at 11:43 PM, minibois said:

KBDFans (on their own site and AliExpress) has some great options.

It kind of depends on what keyswitches you would want to try. 

For example, I like Kailh Box switches so would get a tester for that. But you won't find a keyboard in a store from a brand like Corsair, HyperX or Razer with Kailh Box. Which means if you want a keyboard with those, you either have to get a smaller brand, or get a hotswap board and get these switches separately.

But anyways, get a tester with a variety of switches you were already thinking of getting. So think about if you want clicky, tactile or linear. Heavy, medium or light actuation and if you are okay with hotswap/smaller brand.

Personally I really like Kailh Box Jade, but you do have to keep in mind they are louder.

I found a Cherry MX switch key sampler on Amazon and ordered it. It should help me in my search for the best keyboard I like. Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread.